Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

This is a discussion on Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident By Shoshana Walter THE LEDGER ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

Thumbs down Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

By Shoshana Walter
    THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 11:53 a.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 7:54 p.m.

LAKELAND | A Tampa man’s gun accidentally fired Saturday at a Lakeland gun range, wounding him and two others, authorities said.

Michael Patrick Thourot, 47, had just set down his Jennings 9mm handgun at the Saddle Creek Shooting Range when the gun went off, striking Thourot in the left hand, his wife Sherri, 46, in the left arm, and 29-year-old Gary Flynn in the shoulder and throat, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office said.

The incident happened about 10:30 a.m. By Saturday evening, all three were in stable condition at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Flynn was awake and talking after he had surgery.

“According to them, they set the gun down and it just went off and started spewing rounds,” Sgt. Ken Hall said Saturday at the scene.

The gun may have been altered, leading to the malfunction. Hall said detectives will know more once they take the gun apart and inspect it.

Flynn, who is from Ireland, was at the range with a friend who lives in Davenport. The Thourots were visiting the range from Tampa.

Flynn was standing in the shooting stall next to the Thourots.

Detectives say the gun fired at least three times after Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered a proper safety procedure. The gun began to spin, striking Flynn, who stood next to a bench a few feet away.

At least 16 others were using the range at the time. One person helped Michael Thourot to the bathroom to clean up his hand while Flynn lay on the ground, awaiting the arrival of EMS. No others were injured.

The range at 3716 Morgan Combee Road is owned by the county and frequently receives visitors from neighboring counties. Saturday afternoon, the range closed early.

The incident is still under investigation.
    Somebody is in deep doo-doo.

Seems like, among other things, that remembering the safety rules would have been very helpful.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

He set the gun down and it just went off, yeah right!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Whenever anyone else is harmed by a ND other than the responsible person......it's a really bad thing. If more than one person is harmed by this negligent act, then it's even worse. How can things be worse than bad you ask? Easy......just toss a little bit of humanity at it. Never put yourself at risk on the firing line with idgets. The world is full of 'em and better off without them, but we can't erase them (legally). Beware of everyone around you.

When at a public range a firearm should be grounded/benched and kept there as with it's action _OPEN_!!!

Be it a revolver, semi-automatic handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
    Any kind of projectile firing device!
    Which would include crossbows too that are very popular amongst sportsmen and are also found on ranges.

Had the Jennings owner at a minimum known this and followed as much then the situation would not have occurred, even as his firearm was mechanically unsafe.
    And most importantly no one would have been hurt.

Yet another do not do this life lesson as by proxy.
    Gun grounded an on the deck, with magazine removed or cylinder emptied, action open as facing upward for direct view as by the shooter, RO, and any other shooters sharing the line.

- Janq

"ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use." - NRA Gun Safety Rule _ AND_ NRA HdQ Range Rule
    Source - http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
    Last edited by Janq; October 4th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    When at a public range a firearm should be grounded/benched and kept there as with it's action _OPEN_!!! ]
    I have not shot much in the US with automatic pistols...But when ever I have, I always follow the same safety drill that we use here... Drop Mag, remove round from breech and leave mech open.

Tint Bob (UK)

I didn't know a Jennings Nine would fire three shots in a row.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    “According to them, they set the gun down and it just went off and started spewing rounds,” Sgt. Ken Hall said Saturday at the scene.

Hmm, really? Had the gun been pointed downrange at all times like it should be we wouldn't be reading this thread.

Too bad common sense is so uncommon these days.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I didn't know a Jennings Nine would fire three shots in a row.
    Now we know it was altered!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

can you say, muzzle control?

Senior Moderator
    Now we know it was altered!
    No we don't.

All we have to go by is a newspaper article. Much of the time the info they put out is wrong.

There could be several reasons for the multiple discharge. Even if the first shot was pointed downrange the recoil could have spun it around firing into the crowd.

Jennings are pieces of crap and the ones I have seen fail to work properly often. The fact that is a low priced piece of junk probably contributed to the cause.

Or it could be that it was altered..although I doubt it. More likely it was a mechanical failure due to pot metal parts.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There are too many people who don't pay attention when handling firearms, and it creates a dangerous situation for all. This was not an accident. This was a clear case of not showing a proper understanding of firearm safety and paying the price.

What happened to never pointing a gun at anything you don't want to shoot?

How reckless to set down a loaded weapon pointed at your wife. Further, it's reckless to set down an unloaded weapon pointed at your wife.

There's no excuse for this.

Respect your weapon and realize those around you are trusting you with a tool that has the power to take lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    When at a public range a firearm should be grounded/benched and kept there as with it's action _OPEN_!!!
    So you are saying an inanimate object will do something on its own. How is a public range any different then me setting my loaded weapon on the kitchen table? The gun will not do anything by itself no matter what location it is in. It takes an outside force.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Ape
    This absoultely has nothing to do with the price and/or quality of the gun and everything to do with the idiots using it! Never in my 43 years have I heard or read of a gun "going off by itself"! Slam fires, Yes! Home gunsmiths altering guns and causing unsafe conditions, Yes! But more importantly this idiot did everything wrong! He set it down facing his wife while still loaded! IDIOT!

The anti gun nuts will love this since they love to tell everyone how "guns" are evil and dangerous and not the "people" who use them! So lets not help them by accusing the gun and not the idiot who's supposed to be in control of that gun!

So let me get this right,the gun fired and miraculously hit him in his hand,and his wife and the guy in the next stall,I find it highly unlikely that a semi auto not being held to offer the necessary resistance to keep it from jamming after the first shot kept firing,I bet dipstick shot himself in the hand trying to unload the gun or had a misfire and was trying to cycle the action when it fired,it's possible that gun may have fired 3 rounds full auto before it ran out of ammo,if the gun was altered and it fired 3 rounds full auto he will be getting a visit from the ATF as he was in posession of a "machinegun".He broke a lot of gun safety rules
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links