Bad: Domestic Violence Shooting (Ohio)

Bad: Domestic Violence Shooting (Ohio)

This is a discussion on Bad: Domestic Violence Shooting (Ohio) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is where I was born and lived the first 42 years of my life. Weird when it's this close to home. Waiting to hear ...

Thread: Bad: Domestic Violence Shooting (Ohio)

Thumbs down Bad: Domestic Violence Shooting (Ohio)

This is where I was born and lived the first 42 years of my life. Weird when it's this close to home. Waiting to hear the names involved.
    Two Dead In Jefferson County Shooting - News Story - WTOV Steubenville

Two Dead In Jefferson County Shooting
    Two people are dead in Dillonvale after a shooting Friday night, police said.

Sheriff Fred Abdalla said it started when a man came knocking on his girlfriend's door. The sheriff said when she wouldn't answer, the man started slashing the tires on her car.

The victim told her 12-year-old daughter to run to a neighbors house. But as the victim tried to escape the house, her boyfriend chased her out, fatally shot her in the driveway and then turned the gun on himself.

"The reason they couldn't call 911 is because he had cut the phone wires to prevent them from calling," Abdalla said. Emergency crews rushed to the scene, but it was too late.

The Sheriff said the little girl was inside the neighbor's house at the time of the shooting.

Abdalla said the little girl didn't witness the crime, but heard the shots. "This little girl will remember that as long as she lives," Abdalla said.
    Last edited by Jeff F; October 4th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

This is just a terrible story, but the thing that leaps out at me is the mindless reliance on "call 911" that's been pounded into our heads for nearly a generation now.

9-1-1 as a "universal" emergency number in the US is a great idea, but it seems that no one offers alternatives. The story referenced here is a prime example - how do you call 911 if your phone lines have been cut? Not everyone has cell phones, as weird as that seems in 2009. Does anyone, anywhere, actively promote a "plan B" if there's no way to call 911?

Just a curmudgeonly rant.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What ever happened to vocal power?

Yell out of an above floor window; "HELLLLP!!! THIS MAN IS TRYING TO HURT MY _CHILD_ AND I!"

No phone does not mean all is lost.
    Also even a cell phone with no carrier service will and does as per FCC rules connect to 911. Keep a cell phone, and it's charger!, at home and charged.
    It can be an old bag phone...Any phone as long as it's got a power source and a signal (!), it'll connect to 911 regardless of having no service plan.

Last item...Stay inside.
    Unless you are used to running sprints and have done so in recent memory, the running to flee thing doesn't play out.
    People trip, fall, studder step and are generally slow on the hoof. Never mind never run in a straight line when it's a known that the threat has a projectile firing weapon of any sort.
    Even if it is unknown IMHO it should always be assumed.

Terrible that this will be yet another case of domestic assault and murder of a mother, as well as a child left to go it alone in the world. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sad, very sad. Too many wasted **** shots roaming the planet.
    Perhaps a cell phone would have made a big difference. At least one life was spared.

Bad situation
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'm wondering exactly how it played out; I mean, how did the girl make it to the neighbor's house and not the mother? I suppose she might have sent her child to the neighbor's while simultaneously (or first) creating a diversion. Maybe she sent her kid to the neighbor behind them while she ran out the side?

Sad story no matter how you slice it, though.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    If you are building new, put your electric, phone, and cable underground. My telephone termination box is inside my basement. Keeps the ice and tornadoes from tearing your service lines down. The power company will try to get the distribution system up before going back to fix house services.

This lady could have used a shotgun loaded with buckshot. It seems to me, that advice would be given in all cases of domestic trouble. If only so the lady could protect herself and her children from ordinary criminals.

Thoughts and prayers for the twelve year old.

Sad for all concerned, and a little 'snubbie' could have saved the day...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hummmm, sad. I don't think she should have left the house but baracaded in. Being armed would have also helped.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This is just a terrible story, but the thing that leaps out at me is the mindless reliance on "call 911" that's been pounded into our heads for nearly a generation now.

9-1-1 as a "universal" emergency number in the US is a great idea, but it seems that no one offers alternatives. The story referenced here is a prime example - how do you call 911 if your phone lines have been cut? Not everyone has cell phones, as weird as that seems in 2009. Does anyone, anywhere, actively promote a "plan B" if there's no way to call 911?:

Just a curmudgeonly rant.

AMEN gasmitty,

The plan B I try to promote is as follows:
    grab firearm- unload into bad man!

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

An update on this. The names were released and I didn't know the people involved in this. A cell phone where this happened wouldn't have helped, there is no cell service in ths hollow anywhere unless things have changed since I lived there. What was needed as stated by others was a firearm of some sort so she could have shot this dirt bag dead. Scary thing is that most of my family live within 5-10 miles of here. This has always been a fairly quite and peaceful place with very little crime. What the world is coming to is beyond me anymore.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Links