UGLY--Alleged Armed Man on U of South Florida Campus? Tampa, FL

This is a discussion on UGLY--Alleged Armed Man on U of South Florida Campus? Tampa, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man taken into custody after reports of gunman at USF Tampa campus By Tom Marshall and Rick Danielson, Times Staff Writers Posted: Oct 05, 2009 ...

Thread: UGLY--Alleged Armed Man on U of South Florida Campus? Tampa, FL

VIP Member

UGLY--Alleged Armed Man on U of South Florida Campus? Tampa, FL

Man taken into custody after reports of gunman at USF Tampa campus

By Tom Marshall and Rick Danielson, Times Staff Writers
    Posted: Oct 05, 2009 02:03 PM

TAMPA Police have arrested a male suspect at the University of South Florida, and are sending a bomb disposal unit to check the man's belongings.

The arrest followed reports of a gunman at the campus library and a hostage situation at the transportation center on the north side of campus. A hostage negotiator was dispatched to the scene, said Lt. Meg Ross, a spokeswoman for the USF Police Department.

"We're trying to take action until we confirm otherwise," she said.

See remainder of the story here:
    Man taken into custody after reports of gunman at USF Tampa campus - St. Petersburg Times

More here:
    Armed Intruder on Tampa Campus - Google Search
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

2. Remove Ads

We need to get more info before commenting on this one further. This could have rolled either way. It could have just been some poor bugger that was "outed" or printed to obviously and someone overreacted.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

BAC
    Sooo... your friendly USF student on campus while this happened here, reporting live from the scene!

About 13:50 EST super loud and super obnoxious alarms sound on campus signaling... something. We dunno what, we just know that it sounds like an air raid alarm, but with no Luftwaffe in the sky all hundred odd people around me and the couple hundred more in the huge central courtyard I walked through to get to my next class paid it no attention.

A couple minutes of obnoxious alarming later that the loudspeakers finally said "Emergency: armed intruder on campus. Get inside immediately. Lock doors. Emergency." Of those people in the immediate vicinity, and those in the aforementioned courtyard I was talking through, not a single student deviated from their normal paths, and no sense of urgency existed.

Students arriving at their classes found themselves locked out. Given that it was a transitory period, many professors found themselves... also locked out. Most had no contingency plans on where to bring or direct their classes given X, Y, or Z, so after some meandering and cat-herding, most students managed to be corralled into classrooms. Except me. 'Cause I'm a ninja. Did you know the sound of helicopters is actually kinda comforting?

Several text message warnings from the school were issued, confirming there were police on campus searching for MULTIPLE armed intruders on campus, one in the Library/Cooper-Hall area and one supposedly on one of the Bull Runners (campus transportation buses). One such message: "White male subject seen in the Cooper Hall" [near library] "area in black tank top, cowboy hat, carrying black puppy and a large hunting knife - officers enroute."

At roughly 16:30 EST, we got the "all clear, but stay away from the area of investigation" (which is funny, because that's where my next class is ). CNN started reporting arrest(s), but only showed the apprehension of one Fat Albert who supposedly made the bomb threat but later said it was just a hoax. Bomb squad still mobilized to check his stuff out. A student in the class I ninja'd my way into (that's right, I ninja'd my way past locked doors) found pictures someone had uploaded to facebook of the cowboy hat kid. Wanna know what they saw?

They saw a young man in a black tank-top, with his puppy, on a skateboard. That large hunting knife? Two-inch folder. Clipped.

After proceeding head to... well, the area of investigation (hey, unless one of those officers wants to take my exam next week for me, I'm goin'), I find out my last class of the day is canceled. Now I'm stuck on campus waiting for ten thousand young drivers with exaggerated cabin fever from being locked into rooms for TWO WHOLE HOURS to clear the road so I can drive home with an expectation of making it home.

This has been Ninja-BAC, reporting live from the USF Tampa campus. Back to you, Katie!

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Good reporting, BAC.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Several text message warnings from the school were issued [...] One such message: "White male subject seen in the Cooper Hall" [near library] "area in black tank top, cowboy hat, carrying black puppy and a large hunting knife - officers enroute."
    Ah, it's just as I suspected! If the man had been carrying a friendly looking brown puppy instead of an "evil" black tactical puppy, the sheeple wouldn't have been so spooked. Of course, that's if he's going to open carry in the first place instead of CC.

Links