Off-duty officer shot 3 times during robbery/home invasion - Page 2

Off-duty officer shot 3 times during robbery/home invasion

This is a discussion on Off-duty officer shot 3 times during robbery/home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just yesterday, my female friend said she seldom goes in to areas where criminals would likely be, so she doesn’t take her gun(s). I guess ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Off-duty officer shot 3 times during robbery/home invasion

VIP Member
    Just yesterday, my female friend said she seldom goes in to areas where criminals would likely be, so she doesn’t take her gun(s). I guess the BG’s in Scottsdale, AZ, only hang-out in the smoking areas. Unbelievable!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Venting

That's a shame. The updated artictle is much more revealing and disturbing. I actually park about 50yds or so to the east when I go to Cardinals' games, when I looked where it took place.---not that it matters, it doesn't, I'm just writing down some thoughts.-- Killing a nurse in front of her friends and family after she got off her shift and complied with their demands; unreal. The perps should be dragged out into the street and shot dead.
    ‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’ ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Unbelievably sad story.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Update:

Visitation, fundraiser tonight for nurse killed in home invasion - STLtoday.com
    Meanwhile, police officials said today that the police officer who was shot multiple times during a home invasion early Monday morning has been upgraded to fair condition.

Doctors who are caring for the officer at St. Louis University Hospital believe the St. Louis police officer was shot five times, said police spokeswoman Erica S. VanRoss.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Five times. Sounds like she is a trooper. And a tuff one at that. Hope she has a speedy recovery. Same for the firefighter.

The officer had went to her put the gun in the car the murderers them approached after the gun was in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Navyseal View Post
    The officer had went to her put the gun in the car the murderers them approached after the gun was in the car
    Welcome to the forum!

This incident is 4 years old.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    These scum-bags have no social redeeming qualities . I say lock em up throw away the key , or fry them . IMO

Wow, what a shame! I didn't expect to first hear of this tragedy on a gun forum? I believe I ran into Gina a number of times on 8 South (oncology) at the VA Medical Center. Being in maintenance, I hated getting called out constantly in the middle of the night and having to drive by myself to 915 N. Grand Blvd. through some very bad neighborhoods.

Officially you're not allowed to possess a firearm in your own vehicle on Federal property, it's a termination offense but... Had they ever searched employee vehicles for weapons, I'm sure at least half the employees would have been in the un-employment line.

Gina was a nice lady, what a shame.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Spuk's take on it.

OK so it's four years old... Still has lessons to learn.

This family reminds me of my own. We hung on in the same neighborhood long after it went down. I'd bet this family was the lynch-pin of the neighborhood. Good people, who raised good children, and contributed to society. As things got rougher they hung in there, helping and mentoring. I guess they went from neighborhood role models, to attractive victims.

I remember a similar situation when my grandfather was parking his new car (Ford Falcon), and he was set upon by robbers. My uncle who was visiting his parents was alerted, while others stood by and watches. Needless to say that my uncle was a policeman, sand did have his off duty... while he didnt shoot anyone... he did make it right before the cavelry arrived and carted them off to jail.

The origonal posting is I believe what happens when good people stay after the neighborhood go's bad. It may have been a sense of duty to thye neighborhood, or love of the origonal family homestead. A home where children were born to... and loved ones passed away from. All the emotional connection may lead to a false sense of security in the neighborhood. Sadly they found out the hard way that not only the old neighborhood isnt there anymore, but the neighbors dont even care as evidenced by yjeir refusal to help in a desperate emergency.

When I first went into the department there was a poster in every room in the stationhouse. The poster advised.. "CARRY YOUR GUN!" I took is seriously then and still do...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Spuk's take on it.

OK so it's four years old... Still has lessons to learn.

This family reminds me of my own. We hung on in the same neighborhood long after it went down. I'd bet this family was the lynch-pin of the neighborhood. Good people, who raised good children, and contributed to society. As things got rougher they hung in there, helping and mentoring. I guess they went from neighborhood role models, to attractive victims.

I remember a similar situation when my grandfather was parking his new car (Ford Falcon), and he was set upon by robbers. My uncle who was visiting his parents was alerted, while others stood by and watches. Needless to say that my uncle was a policeman, sand did have his off duty... while he didnt shoot anyone... he did make it right before the cavelry arrived and carted them off to jail.

The origonal posting is I believe what happens when good people stay after the neighborhood go's bad. It may have been a sense of duty to thye neighborhood, or love of the origonal family homestead. A home where children were born to... and loved ones passed away from. All the emotional connection may lead to a false sense of security in the neighborhood. Sadly they found out the hard way that not only the old neighborhood isnt there anymore, but the neighbors dont even care as evidenced by yjeir refusal to help in a desperate emergency.

When I first went into the department there was a poster in every room in the stationhouse. The poster advised.. "CARRY YOUR GUN!" I took is seriously then and still do...
    @ Secret--- probably no one else here would care to read this unless they were raised in The Bronx.

Re:Part in Bold I'm pretty sure we lived in different areas and perhaps different levels of urban blight. What was stunning
    to me was the rapidity with which some areas turned. Three, four, five years, from lower middle class but decent to
    unsafe. I'm afraid many hung on because it wasn't economically feasible to move. Loyalty to neighborhood goes only so far.
    Money, or lack thereof, carries your family only so far away. Those who could, moved to FL (or their children moved to IA or more likely "The Island"). Those who couldn't stayed and struggled and dreamed of moving; the rest took a one way trip to Woodlawn or similar. My folks held on to the end, but it all changed in 10 years.

Construction of Cross Bronx and Bruckner (when I was a teen) were necessary and removed lots of blighted tenements, but also added problems,
    made some things worse. Demolition of City Housing Projects in the S. Bronx was a mixed bag. Solved one problem, created others. I can still close my eyes and smell the urine perfumed stairwells.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A point made in the article, they lived there for a very long time, hard working, involved with community and had no problems until someone focused on them. It has become a problem across the whole country, young men resorting to violence so they don't have to work for a living. I live in an area that never had any violent crime, none, but now I feel that the chances of something happening have increased significantly, more so than I am comfortable with. Times have changed so drastically and so fast.

Yes, there are bad neighborhoods, but, because you live in a better part of town or out in the sticks doesn't make you immune. I doesn't matter much anymore where you live, I think being prepared and aware is the lesson from this story for me.
    “The only defense against
    violent evil people are
    good people who are
    more skilled at violence.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    @ Secret--- probably no one else here would care to read this unless they were raised in The Bronx.

Re:Part in Bold I'm pretty sure we lived in different areas and perhaps different levels of urban blight. What was stunning
    to me was the rapidity with which some areas turned. Three, four, five years, from lower middle class but decent to
    unsafe. I'm afraid many hung on because it wasn't economically feasible to move. Loyalty to neighborhood goes only so far.
    Money, or lack thereof, carries your family only so far away. Those who could, moved to FL (or their children moved to IA or more likely "The Island"). Those who couldn't stayed and struggled and dreamed of moving; the rest took a one way trip to Woodlawn or similar. My folks held on to the end, but it all changed in 10 years.

Construction of Cross Bronx and Bruckner (when I was a teen) were necessary and removed lots of blighted tenements, but also added problems,
    made some things worse. Demolition of City Housing Projects in the S. Bronx was a mixed bag. Solved one problem, created others. I can still close my eyes and smell the urine perfumed stairwells.
    Though I've never lived in the Bronx, I can completely understand and relate to what you're saying and I'm sure just about anybody who lived in or near the city could.

The neighborhood I grew up in was roughly 5 miles from downtown and it was a working class neighborhood. It was "safe" far as being able to ride your bike, walk to the corner store to grab eggs for your mother, and whatnot. Then, a few years later that completely changed. Kids were getting robbed, recruited for gangs, being sold drugs, etc. on their way to the store. We stayed there for a long while.. it was a mixture of loving the "old" neighborhood and monetary constraints. Eventually, we made it out of there.

OT: Though this story is years old, I'm glad somebody bumped it (I often do the same accidentally when using Tapatalk) because there's definitely lessons to be learned, such as no matter who you are or where you are, bad things can happen to you and one must always be prepared for such.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Ya I know it's four years old and I know the story

I'm Gina's son Sam
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Hi Sam, and welcome to the forum. This is the first I have seen of this thread since I'm fairly new here (last year) but I do want to say I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Mom. Without a doubt, your Mom is looking at you from heaven beaming at what a wonderful son she raised. Thank you for serving this country, and I will keep you in my prayers. BTW, this thread along with your post that you are her son has my eyes watering....I really am truly sorry for your loss.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links