Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash - Page 2

Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

This is a discussion on Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yeah, not panhandling, more like armed robbery and malicious wounding/maiming/attempted murder....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yeah, not panhandling, more like armed robbery and malicious wounding/maiming/attempted murder.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Many won't believe me in this - but - some of those guys have more money in their pocket than I have in my checking account at any given time....
    I believe!!

I once saw a special on 20/20 where they monitored a public telephone on a NY street corner. Back when cell phones were the size of small briefcases. They asked everyone who used the phone who they had called. One man they stopped said he had just called his broker. When they asked what he did for a living, he stated that he was a panhandler and that he made in excess of $60k per year begging.

I never forgot that story because at the time I was struggling to complete a degree in accounting while working full time. That year, a college graduate with a BS in Accounting could expect to earn $45K at an entry level job.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

The thing that scares me the most out of this news article is the fact that I work security at Target. They don't allow us to be armed, but we have to ask anyone soliciting or panhandling to leave our property.

I've been threatened many times, luckily nothing has come of it. I approach every one of them ready for a fight if they choose to attack. Most of the time there's two of us.

Geez, Intrepid, can you get a different job? Stupid corporations....
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I have had panhandlers get in my face like this. I call it a "soft mugging." So far, they have no assaulted me when I've refused. This story does not make me optimistic that I won't have that experience, therefore, I carry.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Geez, Intrepid, can you get a different job? Stupid corporations....
    I'm working on it. I'm only working security as a stepping stone to law enforcement. I have my conditional POST certification and am actively going through hiring processes, but I'm being told I don't have enough law enforcement experience to compete against the lateral transfers.

There's other things that I don't like about my job, but I'm trying to stick with it to show a prospective police department that I won't leave a job because I have many frustrations.

njr
    Intrepid,

Have you looked at the Workforce Investment Act? You might be able to get into a personal protection training program.

It's not my first choice- I'm thinking of picking up side work in the trades, but I did look at PP work briefly. The working conditions aren't so great, but it sounds like something that might pay better than Target.

Check out Careers and Career Information - CareerOneStop and do a search. I think they also have an 800 number, or go to your local Dept of Employment Services and they may be able to direct you to the WIA program.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Doesn't sound like panhandling gone bad. Sounds like a mugging under false pretenses.
    +1

I agree with you

Years ago... I was driving a friend's car to the shop while he was at work and just picked up some good DD coffee when a panhandler came up to the passenger side. He asked for change and held the make shift sign against the window so I could read it. I told him I didn't have any cash and he spotted my friends cupholder full of change and reached in for it while stating "well then I guess you don't need this"... I rolled up his window on his arm while throwing my coffee at him (which cleared the upholstery by inches) and jumped out of the car. He was screaming like crazy and I saw him drop to his knees (as far as he could go with the window pinning him)... I looked up and a guy in the next car over had kicked his legs out. The guy flashed a badge at me and said roll the window down. He was an undercover LEO. He told me I did good, and that this was his 3rd time arresting that panhandler in the last year. They ended up calling paramedics because of the coffee burns.

About 3 days ago... Theres a panhandler on a nearby intersection who likes to stand directly in front of your car (and line of sight) and will harass you till you acknowledge him. Well the Miami Hurricanes game was about to start and a bunch of fans were on the way to the game when the guy approaches a car filled with fans and says "Got any change? oh.. your Miami fans! Get the F off my street." They started to heckle him and he tells them that for 5 bucks he'll let them pass. One guy starts to open his door and the panhandler shifts his attention to me.
    As he walks up, I yell out..."No money, don't even try it." I reach down for my Glock to uncover it slightly (not to be visible, but for better access) and he keeps approaching. He stands directly in front of my Jeep and starts jumping up and down and waving frantically. The light turns green so I lay on the horn (nice size air horns) and he doesn't budge. Traffic behind me is honking and I know I can't get away with running him over. Then I hear horns even louder than mine and after recovering from the shock and pain realize there is a fire truck next to me laying on their massive horn right in the guys face. A few seconds later an officer pulls up and chases the guy to the side of the road. The LEO waves me off and I wave thanks to him and the fire fighters (who I just saw earlier for training on the airport)...

Needless to say...I never carry cash on me...so my response is always the same. I've run across some crazies down in Miami who will follow you for blocks...and met a couple who made more than 50k a year...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

VIP Member
    Many won't believe me in this - but - some of those guys have more money in their pocket than I have in my checking account at any given time....
    I believe you, I know it too. They usually eat better than I do too.

This situation also highlights why I'm cautious approaching them on duty (don't let my guard down....In God we trust, everyone else let me see your hands).
    We get calls on panhandlers bugging folks everyday, against a city ordinance. Some are cool and cooperative, others turn out to be drunk and belligerent.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Agreed - confusingly so, but agreed.

I had a job at a local K-Mart when I was 18. We only had 1 car in the family and every day after work I'd have to drive over to Newark and pick up my parents who both worked there. There was this 6'4" scruffy caucasion at one particular intersection - every day. This was "his" panhandling intersection.

One day I see him coming down my isle buying clothes, shoes, and a sports duffel bag. It comes out to $75 or so and he pays with a crisp clean $100 bill. I was floored.

Started doing some math. The intersection he waits at is an extremely well-trafficked one. The lights on the side of road he works stay green for 30 seconds, then go red for exactly 3 minutes. There are two lanes of fully stopped traffic during those 3 minutes and he will easily see twenty (20) cars during each "red period" during rush hour. As I said, it is still a very busy area and even on off-peak times he will easily see 8 to 12 cars per "red period".

From my casual observations, I figure he gets change from at least 4 cars during each rush-hour "red period" and at least 2 cars every non-rush-hour period. If I assume he's getting an average of $0.25 per car (which is on the low-side, he most likely makes more than that per car) and if I assume he works a 10 hour day that covers both rush hours (which is nice in that he can work as often as he wants and get as much "overtime" as he wants, unlike us salary-laden morons who get squat regardless of how much extra time we put in) - he's making $17 per hour during rush hour and only $8.50 or so an hour during the off-peak times.

That's approximately $102 per day. If he works 5 days a week and takes 4 weeks a year worth of vacation, holiday, and sick time - he pulls in a tax-free $34K a year.

That would be about $50K worth of taxed salary to me and you. Not too shabby.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

When I see a panhandler approaching, I ask him for money before he says anything. "Oh, man, can you spare a dollar, I'm broke and I just put my last dollar in gas in the car?"
    They usually turn and walk away.

Or.
    "You guys have over saturated the market. I just gave my last dollar to the guy in the other block. Sorry man"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    good chance after leaving a bar in most states even CHL holders would be unarmed,so criminals know everyone is a potential unarmed victim
    This is a most valid point: All the more reason to avoid risky situations like bars, unless your with a large crowd , and will be leaving at the same time

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    The local news did a special report on these guys including a hidden camera. They followed one guy, he stood out by the interstate at a busy exit ramp for 4 hours and then walked through Wal Mart Parking lot for the next 3 hours asking for money. When he was done, he got into a brand new Mercedes Benz and went home. The home was valued at over $300k. When they approached him, he said he makes about 400 a day, and that he started doing that when he stopped at a light and seen how much another bum was getting from people. He acknowledged that it is not a respectiable job, but that he makes a good living, working it 5 days a week. I am not sure he is getting much moeny after the story aired, but heck, that is a good living, just taking the time to ask, over 100k a year.

I make a lousey 19k a year, after taxes and child support, maybe bring home about 13k. Maybe I need some bum clothes and need to find a corner to work, LMAO.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links