Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

This is a discussion on Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash DENVER - Police are asking for helping in finding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

Ugly: Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Panhandler stabs man who refused to give him cash

DENVER - Police are asking for helping in finding a pair of panhandlers they say started a fight that lead to a couple getting stabbed when they refused to hand over cash.

Denver Police say a male victim was severely injured when he was stabbed five times in the stomach. His friend, who was crossing the street with him, was stabbed once trying to fend off the attackers.

The attack happened late at night on Tuesday, Sept. 1 in front of the Cheeky Monk Restaurant and Bar near East Colfax Avenue and Pearl Street.

Police released surveillance video of the panhandlers they say are responsible. Police say the panhandlers approached the victims as they crossed the street.

Investigators say the man pictured in plaid shorts attacked the male victim first and the two fought to the ground. That's when the second person, who was wearing all black, jumped into the fray and stabbed the victim. The victim's friend was injured when she tried to keep the attacker away.

The male victim sustained serious injuries the woman who was with him was also injured. Both are still recovering from their wounds.

The attacker is described as a white man with a black jacket and a logo on the back.

If you know who the suspect is, call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867) to be eligible for a cash reward.

2. Remove Ads

This is the exact reason why I am not friendly to panhandlers nor do I let them get very close.
    Many times they are walking away mumbling something about ME being crazy, and that's OK...just leave me and my 'space' alone.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with retsupt99, I keep my distance from panhandlers because of stories like this. Too many of them are prone to violence and they don't have a sign on them indicating so. All the more reason to have your concealed buddy with you just in case you are accosted by one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Right y'all are. Avoidance is my top priority. If that's impossible, I've been known to immediately try convincing them that I'm far less mentally stable than they are (i.e. completely whacko). It's the last response that they expect from a "mark". It has always resulted in surprise & deterrence. And, of course, my last resort is...concealed.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Many won't believe me in this - but - some of those guys have more money in their pocket than I have in my checking account at any given time....
    For God, Family and Country!

Then let's treat 'em like a did once (years ago) when a hitch-hiker decided to turn pirate on me. I was young, aggressive & foolish but I just got sooo mad at the thought of a guy I had picked-up would then pull a knife & demand my wallet once we got back up to speed. I noticed he hadn't buckled-up (ah HA!) and nailed the brakes. He bounced-off my unpadded dash (remember back when dashboards hurt?) only to regroup empty-handed looking down the barrel of my Commander. I took everything he had (except his current underwear); knife, jeans (and contents), backpack (and contents), socks, boots, EVERYTHING. I then left him on the side of a very remote stretch of wilderness road in The Daniel Boone National Forest. Thirty five years later I don't know if he became a repentant saint, bear food or had a "Deliverance" experience. But at the time, my actions felt, uh...perfect .
    What if we aggressively pan-handled the pan-handlers?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Further proof to offer the anti's as to why you carry.
    NRA Life Member

Further proof to offer the anti's as to why you carry.
    You're right of course. My apologies to any/all offended.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Doesn't sound like panhandling gone bad. Sounds like a mugging under false pretenses.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

good chance after leaving a bar in most states even CHL holders would be unarmed,so criminals know everyone is a potential unarmed victim
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Baam ! as his head hit the dash....
    Thats a good 1

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Then let's treat 'em like a did once (years ago) when a hitch-hiker decided to turn pirate on me. I was young, aggressive & foolish but I just got sooo mad at the thought of a guy I had picked-up would then pull a knife & demand my wallet once we got back up to speed. I noticed he hadn't buckled-up (ah HA!) and nailed the brakes. He bounced-off my unpadded dash (remember back when dashboards hurt?) only to regroup empty-handed looking down the barrel of my Commander. I took everything he had (except his current underwear); knife, jeans (and contents), backpack (and contents), socks, boots, EVERYTHING. I then left him on the side of a very remote stretch of wilderness road in The Daniel Boone National Forest. Thirty five years later I don't know if he became a repentant saint, bear food or had a "Deliverance" experience. But at the time, my actions felt, uh...perfect .
    What if we aggressively pan-handled the pan-handlers?
    Glocks

Had a guy start walking in my direction asking for money while pumping gas on the way to Florida. In no uncertain terms I instructed him to stop and turn around or it wouldn't be good for him as I moved my hand towards my waist - he turned around and that was that.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Well situations I've had ;
    1) panhandler had a knife in his pocket and hand on it, approached while my 2 grandkids were with me and I was unarmed. I gave him a couple of bucks which he didn't like..... but he seemed to not want to push it more with the kids there. Im' sure if I had been alone, I would have seen a knife come out and if armed, he may have gotten shot.

2) panhandler told me, after I told him NO & GO AWAY, that "YOU WILL GIVE ME YOUR MONEY" (very demanding & came toward me) and stuck his hand in his pocket to pull what appeared like a knife..... I took one step back and put my hand under my shirt on my gun..... he looked in my eyes, down at my right hand where it was, and then started cussing as he walked away very ticked off. Both kids there then too and got themselves on the other side of the car because they knew what they were supposed to do.

3) Walmart parking lot, grandson with me, and 2 guys (not acting normally) make their way over to be in front of us as we are heading to the car and one gets directly in my path (intentionally) and I bump shoulders with him (he on the losing end of that one) ...... then hear the other one saying "let's get him now" and the other saying " I think he may be armed", and the first saying "hell with that", and they rapidly walk off.

I never displayed a gun, nor could they have seen it, but I'm certain they knew my hand was back there to pull out my wallet. I'm sure my stance displayed that.

Be alert. They're getting more brazen, more agressive, and approaching more and more often people that have kids with them........especially in parking lots.

double post
    Last edited by kracker; October 6th, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: double post

I'll get flamed for my lack of SA, but, last week we were in Kissimmee, Fl on vacation and were going to supper about dusk. We were stopped at a redlight when I noticed a panhandler coming up on the passenger side where I was sitting. My wife was driving and had the windows about halfway down and the next thing I know he was almost on top of us. I opened the glovebox and grabbed my backup gun and put it under my leg.

Before he can ask for money I told him I'd give him 10 bucks for his cell phone and IPOD. He got a funny look on his face and was about to say something when the light turned green and we drove off.
    Last edited by kracker; October 6th, 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links