Ugly: Killing in small NH town

This is a discussion on Ugly: Killing in small NH town within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Slaying stuns rural N.H. town - Crime & courts- msnbc.com MILFORD, N.H. - Four teenagers — one armed with a machete and another with a ...

Thread: Ugly: Killing in small NH town

Ugly: Killing in small NH town

Slaying stuns rural N.H. town - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

MILFORD, N.H. - Four teenagers — one armed with a machete and another with a knife — picked an isolated home at random and entered it intending to kill in a middle-of-the-night attack that left a woman dead and her daughter seriously injured, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Kimberly Cates, 42, was killed in her bed early Sunday morning while her husband was away on a business trip. A neighbor said their 11-year-old daughter, Jaime, is in a Boston hospital and expected to live.

The killing stunned Mont Vernon, a rural town of about 2,000 residents near the Massachusetts border where Cates worked as a nurse.

The teens were arrested Monday and made brief court appearances late Tuesday morning in nearby Milford. They entered no pleas, and spoke only briefly to say either that they had no questions or planned to request court-appointed lawyers.

2 held without bail
    Steven Spader, 17, and Christopher Gribble, 19, both of Brookline, were charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder and were ordered held without bail. William Marks, 18, and Quinn Glover, 17, both of Amherst, were charged with burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary and robbery and were ordered held on $500,000 cash bail.

Authorities released few details and sealed the affidavits supporting the charges.

Spader is accused of driving the teens to Cates' neighborhood sometime before 4 a.m. Sunday and cutting her with a machete in the head, torso, arms and legs. Gribble is accused of stabbing her with a knife. Both are accused of attacking Cates' daughter.

The teens picked the home at random and because it was on an isolated road, but all four knew of the plan to kill whoever was home, Assistant Attorney General William Delker said in court.

"Mr. Glover entered this home knowing that the participants intended to kill the occupants of the home if anyone was present. He entered the home armed with a deadly weapon, the homeowner was killed in her bed, and a young child was seriously injured," Delker said.

Kimberly Cates' husband, David, was out of town at time of the attack and flew back to be with his daughter, said next-door neighbor Yuki Chorney. Chorney said the two families moved to the neighborhood at about the same time in 2003, and Jaime Cates' frequently played with her daughter.

"We moved here because we wanted to live in a quiet, rural town where everybody knows everybody," Chorney said, holding back tears.

‘Town is in shock’
    She said Kimberly Cates was meticulous about safety and locking doors, though she left windows open for air in the summer.

"The entire town is in shock," she said.

Deputy House Speaker Linda Foster has lived in Mont Vernon for 40 years and raised three sons there. She called it "a picture-perfect town."

Foster said she started locking her doors when a home on Main Street was robbed two decades ago. She attended Tuesday's arraignment.

"I had to see the faces of the people who ripped out the heart and soul of this community," she said. "These are not kids that came up from the big bad city. These are kids who grew up beside you. It's evil."

Glover's attorney described his client as a B student with no criminal record.
    Even in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, random violent crime can and does happen.

I too falsely believed that my street would be a crime-free zone, only to find out a few weeks ago that a neighbor had two cars broken into.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The senseless horror of this type of crime boggles my mind. It is brought home to us every day - this can and does happen in every part of the country. Should it happen to us, the security measures, dog, shotguns, and pistols will make a difference.

I for one would have no problem pullin the trigger on either of um. I hope the little monsters rot in hell!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Anytime anyplace anyone any locale...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    This happened less than a 1/2 hour from where I live. It reminded me of the importance of forums like this that bring to focus the ever increasing need for self protection.

If they all knew about the intent to kill anyone that was home,why haven't they all been charged with murder,I would have no problem shooting each one in the head at point blank range while they peed all over themselves,what a buncha cowards.
    PS locked doors don't mean squat if you leave windows open,and even then if you have no means to defend yourself if the home is broken into
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep. ^^

This past summer my wife was giving me hell because at night I'd close the first floor windows and _lock_ them.
    Never mind the fact as you state that it makes no sense at all to lock doors and have open windows.

I actually had to go to Google Video and locate a K-12 science clip explaining the concept of 'thermal convection' showing that heat _RISES_ and that allowing it to escape from upper floor open windows is the most efficient way for cooling a house. :|

I'd rather wake up warm and even sweaty than to be cold and sleeping, six foot under sod.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Bind 'em all, and toss 'em to the gators!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope those murderous thugs have a chance to meet "Old Sparky" the Electric Chair, though I am not sure New Hamshire has the Death Penalty. Hopefully they do. It is a sad reminder that humanity has an evil side whether one lives in a rural town or a large City. I try to remind my family that one has to be "Situationally Aware" of the surroundings.

I would not hesitate, not one second, to fire my gun at an intruder who was intent on killing. Not one second.

My heart and prayers go out to the victim's families. May the evil doers rot in hell for the rest of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I hope those murderous thugs have a chance to meet "Old Sparky" the Electric Chair, though I am not sure New Hamshire has the Death Penalty. Hopefully they do......
    We do, although it's been a while since it was invoked. The last person put to death was in 1939.

According to state laws:

Capital murder

RSA 630:1 Capital Murder, is the only crime for which people can be executed in the state. A person is guilty of capital murder if he knowingly causes the death of:[8]

* A sheriff or deputy sheriff, state trooper, constable or police officer of a city or town, correctional officer, probation-parole officer, conservation officer, judge or similar person, state or local prosecutor acting in the line of duty or in retaliation for their job.
    * Another before, after, while engaged or attempting to commit a kidnapping as defined by RSA 633:1.[9]
    * Another after conspiring with another to commit a contract killing.
    * Another after being sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.
    * Another before, after, while engaged or attempting to commit aggravated felonious sexual assault, as defined in RSA 632-A:2. [10]
    * Another before, after, while engaged or attempting to commit an offense punishable under RSA 318-B:26, I(a) or (b) of the Controlled Drug Act.[11]

The definition of "another" in the statute does not include a fetus.

Since the state's last execution of Howard Long on July 14, 1939, there have been eight people charged with capital murder. Three were convicted, but received a mandatory life imprisonment without parole sentence. In three other cases, capital murder charges were resolved before trial, twice because the New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled the law unconstitutional.
    Although we don't use an electric chair:

Methods

After a person has been convicted of capital murder, a separate penalty phase is carried out using the same jury. The jury weighs a variety of aggravating and mitigating circumstances. If a person has been convicted of capital murder and is not sentenced to death, the mandatory sentence is life imprisonment without possibility of parole the same punishment as first degree murder.

Executions must be carried out no sooner than one year after the sentencing. Death row and the execution are at the New Hampshire State Prison for Men at Concord. According to state law:

"The punishment of death shall be inflicted by continuous, intravenous administration of a lethal quantity of an ultrashort-acting barbiturate in combination with a chemical paralytic agent…"[6]

It is also possible for executions to be carried out by hanging if it is found:

"…to be impractical to carry out the punishment of death by administration of the required lethal substance or substances, the sentence of death may be carried out by hanging…"

The mother, a part time nurse, was killed in her bed.
    This was not a burglary gone bad.
    This was murder, plain and simple.
    A wiser man than I put forth a solution:
    1) Tall tree
    2) Short rope.
    3) Some assembly required.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Turns out the husband works at my wife's company. This is closer by the minute.

Links