Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged)

This is a discussion on Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nova83tx If the Mother hadn't tried to push for her rights and exercise her freedoms (poor judgement at a kids soccer field ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    If the Mother hadn't tried to push for her rights and exercise her freedoms (poor judgement at a kids soccer field in suburbia IMHO) .
    Stop. Right now. Just stop. There are members here who knew Meleanie in real life. I never met her in person but I considered her a friend, just like I consider a few people here whom I've never met friends. She was murdered by her husband. Show a little respect for the dead.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    If the Mother hadn't tried to push for her rights and exercise her freedoms (poor judgement at a kids soccer field in suburbia IMHO) . . .
    ... implying she had bad judgment in focusing on protecting her children and herself, and this drew down "judgment" on her? Are you serious??

I suppose that's one way to view things.

I prefer an alternative perspective.

She treated bringing along her life-saving, self-defense tools as no different as picking up the keys and purse on the way out the door. She viewed no higher purpose than the protection and safety of her children, at all times.

As it turns out, the proof came home to roost, in the form of a murderous husband. It proves the point. Anytime. Anywhere.

The anti-gunner zealots of the world deem her actions as having been a blatant example of poor judgment, when in reality NOT ONE of her actions brought danger to her children or to anyone else. Only the actions of criminals brought such things. Her goal was to be prepared for such things, though it's damnably difficult to do it successfully when the cobra is in the bed sheets, so to speak.

The zealotry and fanaticism of the anti-gunner left put her in danger, by denying her food (via a viable business), stigmatizing her and casting her out of a good part of the community. The zealots who threatened her via "hate" letters and writings all across the newspaper and internet took a devoted mother and protector to task for doing those two things (mothering, protecting). The angry and violent criminal who lived under her roof put her in danger, and ultimately took her life.

SHE did none of these bad things; the zealots and criminals did. She wanted none of these bad things to occur; the zealots and criminals did.

In short: this is why we focus on situational awareness, preparedness, recognition of "signs" of danger, defensive tools and training that can help keep us alive and help us protect the ones we love.

To dare blame such innocent and upstanding people for bringing crime down on their own heads is simply too much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Stop. Right now. Just stop. There are members here who knew Meleanie in real life. I never met her in person but I considered her a friend, just like I consider a few people here whom I've never met friends. She was murdered by her husband. Show a little respect for the dead.
    Amen. I saw the article just now when I logged onto Fox news and thought I'd check with the mods to see if she was a member before i posted, but first checked and found it here.

Number one, above all political implications, this is a horrible tragedy for the children whose lives are now damaged forever.

It is a tragedy for those who knew the family.

The political ramifications pale in comparison.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    not the time or place to debate the virtues of open carry
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    The political ramifications pale in comparison.
    Absolutely. The human tragedy is what matters here. My heart breaks for their kids. How incredibly sad.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Prayers for Melanie Hains.
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

This is a tragic event, I feel terrible for the innocent children.

Unfortunately main stream media and the brady bunch will spin this toward the GUN having killed a mother and then a killer. They will fail to see that even with the abscence of a gun in the home this act would likely have still occured. It could have been a lot different crime scene but still with 2 dead bodies. There are so many ways to kill a human being once you make that decision. The gun was simply a tool, one of thousands of tools, that was used to carry out what a human desired to do to another human.

I hope the kids can someday get past this and lead a somewhat normal life. They lost a mother who was obviously a fighter, and a father who lost his fight with self contol.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

kpw
    I never met the lady. You get used to seeing someone posting on a forum. They have their own personality that adds to it. Melanie had a sweet, humorous personality but also had strong convictions about her beliefs. Both sides of her personality came through and she was one of those posters you looked forward to reading.
    My sincere condolences to her family.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Am simply saying the pressure was likely a strong factor.
    When you have no idea if what you are saying has any truth to it whatsoever, it is best to keep quiet...
    Last edited by JD; October 8th, 2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Will address via PM.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

JD
    Administrator
    Wow. This is a total downer....

Melanie will be missed by many, it's been a while since we left PA but I still visit the PAFOA every now and then, she had a unique perspective and stood her ground.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I've heard a little more information regarding her death from people who knew her better then I. She was in the process of getting a protection order from her husband and possibly a divorce, but I believe she was afraid to tell him in fear that he may become violent. I'm not sure what event lead to this horrible murder, but one thing is for sure, when I saw her Saturday she seemed down in the dumps. I talked to her a little bit and even asked her if everything was alright. She really didn't want to talk about it. She gave me a hug before I left the BBQ. If I had only known that would be the last time I saw her

Rest in peace Meleanie. We will all miss you.

As it turns out, the proof came home to roost, in the form of a murderous husband. It proves the point. Anytime. Anywhere.
    Exactly.

This is about her murderous husband, not about whether she carried openly in public or not. Her husband could have killed her just as dead had she been unarmed.

Not every encounter with an individual intent on murder will be successful. All we can hope for is a fighting chance.

Her situation does prove the point: anytime, anywhere, even when least expected.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This is about her murderous husband ... Her husband could have killed her just as dead had she been unarmed.
    There are reports by some who knew here that she had recently mentioned "divorce" and that she knew things were bad. I wonder how much she knew or suspected, or how much the coward divulged of his intentions via looks, phrases he dropped, things he did during the past few months. We'll likely never know, unless she was logging it somewhere, for posterity, in case the unthinkable happened. Documentation: one of the least-appreciated defensive tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Am simply saying the pressure was likely a strong factor. That pressure of the public part ...
    When you have no idea if what you are saying has any truth to it whatsoever, it is best to keep quiet...

I'm speaking of nothing that everyone doesn't already know. I'm speaking of what was publicly seen, heard, read. That's neither a reason to shut one's mind or mouth, in the evaluation of what the past year-on-display has shown.

The only guess is how she might have taken it. I know for a fact the discussions I've been party to, and I know how I would have taken similar circumstances. EVERYONE who watched her publicly "hanged" for daring defend herself and her children so openly, had they been thinking clearly, could have similarly considered how tough it must have been. Many are.

Pretty simple, that. As we all know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Thanking you for calling attention to my flippant and disrespectful words.

My sincerest apologies. That comment that I made had no right being in this post, and I will promptly edit it out.

My thoughts on OC should be done in a different time and place and my thoughts were inappropriate.

The real focus should be on respect for Melanie and condolences for her children and friends that are suffering from this tragedy, my apologies again.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Well that just sucks. Prayers go out for the family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links