Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged)

This is a discussion on Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun-toting soccer mom is shot dead | Breaking Midstate News with The Patriot-News - - PennLive.com Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged)

The Gun-toting soccer mom is shot dead

Gun-toting soccer mom is shot dead | Breaking Midstate News with The Patriot-News - - PennLive.com

Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national attention for taking a loaded gun to her daughterís soccer game, was shot to death Wednesday night with her husband in an apparent murder-suicide, police said.

Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. at their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, police said.

The coupleís three children were home at the time and were not injured, and are staying with relatives and friends, police said.

Autopsies were scheduled for Thursday, police said. No other details were available at press time.

Neighbor Mark Long said Meleanie baby-sat his 3-year-old son and that she and Scott had been having marital problems for the last week. Scott left on Tuesday and Meleanie did not know where he went, but he came back Wednesday, Long said.

Meleanie Hain was thrust into the national spotlight when she took a gun, in plain view and holstered on her hip, to a soccer game Sept. 11, 2008, at Optimist Park in Lebanon.

Her permit to carry a gun was revoked by Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo on Sept. 20, 2008. DeLeo said Hain showed poor judgment in wearing her gun to the game.

Hainís permit was reinstated by Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby on Oct. 14, 2008, but the judge asked her to conceal it when she goes to soccer games. Hain said she would continue to carry it openly under the Second Amendment.

Hain then filed a lawsuit against DeLeo for $1 million in U.S. Middle District Court seeking reimbursement of attorneysí fees and costs, emotional distress and lost wages.

"She has been stigmatized unfairly," her attorney, Matthew Weisberg said at the time.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence then offered to defend DeLeo for free.

Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said at the time: "It is a case that calls out for common sense. ... Itís ridiculous to bring a gun to a childís soccer game."

A hearing on Hainís suit was postponed in May after one of the attorneys in the case was involved in an auto accident.

In an interview with The Patriot-News published Dec. 27, Hain said: "I am happy being a gun owner."

She said she had no intention of changing her views on gun ownership and noted her critics had no intention of changing theirs.

She acknowledged the publicity had detrimentally affected her life. "I have read all sorts of slander, personal attacks, and even threats toward me, my family, and, yes, some specific to my children," she said in the interview.

"The publicity surrounding me as a person makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. As stated previously, I am willing to talk to the press because the issue is so important, but the focus on me, personally, has been difficult because it simply is not about me," she said.

About the decision to sue DeLeo, Hain said she did it because she was wronged

"Just the fact that he was wrong is evidenced by the fact that my license was restored to me. ... I am a victim of Sheriff Michael DeLeoís. I am a victim of those in society as a direct result of his actions as well. The way people look at me sometimes when I am out running errands, I feel as if I am wearing a scarlet letter, and really itís a Glock 26."
    III

2. Remove Ads

Oh crap! Wow, that really sucks...

And to top it all off, is the Brady Center was smack dab in the middle of her ongoing lawsuit against the sheriff, so now, they'll be touting how gun owners are more likely to be killed with their own guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yeah, they'll blame the 'gun' and ignore all the other factors. The gun was a tool, not a cause. Oh but how they'll spin it!
    III

Killed by anti-gunners. Stigmatized and cast out by the vehement idealogues and zealots in her own community.

News Flash:
    Acme Press
    October 7, 2009, 3:17pm
    Harrisburg

Harrisburg Patriot-News
    G. Smith and B. Johnson reporting

At the conclusion of the first session following the death of Meleanie Hain and her husband, the Pennsylvania legislature has unanimously passed a bill requiring a permit to be a practicing zealot anti-gunner.

Effectively immediately, Pennsylvania bans anti-gunner zealotry and incitement to stigmatize without a permit. You must have a permit. Pennsylvania is, forthwith, a "may-issue" state for Anti-Gunner Zealot permits.

One may apply on the first Tuesday of every third month at the court of Judge N.A.F. Chance, in Scott Center, PA, from 2:37pm to 2:38pm ... via appointment.
    If the reports are true, then the best we can hope for is that the husband pulled the trigger. A basic test for powder residues should easily determine who did it. We might well never know why, for certain, though obviously being cast out of their community over the past year wasn't a bed of roses.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just watched my local news and they didn't have this much detail. She only lived about 20 miles from me. My anti wife already started on me. It's going to be an interesting next couple of days in my home.

This isn't good...
    Regardless of the 'shooter', the anti's will twist this into an "I told you so..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Killed by anti-gunners.

ccw9mm,
    I respectfully disagree. She is either dead by her own hand or murdered by her husband. Nobody else "killed" her and nobody else is responsble. Blaming anti-gunners for her death is like blaming 2nd ammendment supporters when somebody is killed. Misplaced responsibility should not be a cop-out for anybody. The person who killed her is the the person who squeezed the trigger...period. Just my humble opinion.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said at the time: "It is a case that calls out for common sense. ... Itís ridiculous to bring a gun to a childís soccer game."
    It never ceases to amaze me how anti gun advocates act like there is a place where you can't become a victim of violent crime...

I don't think the "best we can hope for" is that her husband killed her and then himself. What if he was legally carrying as well? Let's face it, there are crimes committed every year by those of us who are licensed to carry concealed handguns. But proportionally, we're less likely as a group to be violent criminals. Murder-suicides take place every day around the country involving people who aren't licensed to carry. They don't get the focus because -- they aren't licensed to carry and its not a knock against the Second Amendment.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

Statistics will show two people killed in a home where guns were present.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    ccw9mm,
    Blaming anti-gunners for her death is like ...
    Am simply saying the pressure was likely a strong factor. That pressure of the public part of this past year that came from anti-gunner zealotry. That's all. Of course no ideology replaced the finger on that trigger.

Another article suggests it was the husband as murderer. I wonder just how put-out he was over the OC incident and the subsequent publicity and shunning of his family. This might well be a good example of just how far failure to communicate on the issue of family security involving defensive tools (such as firearms) can be taken, if one party is pissed off enough. We might not ever get the details. We'll have to wait, and watch.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

3 children

I feel for the children.Very tragic.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    I feel for the children.Very tragic.
    Absolutely. This episode is bad on all levels - and will certainly do no good to ensure unhindered 2nd ammendment rights. This is the kind of fuel anti's run on.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Unhappy Melanie Hain - OC Soccer mom killed (Merged)

I have sad news to report. Melanie Hain, also known as the OC soccer mom from Lebanon, PA was killed last night. She wasn’t a member here but was a member over at PAFOA. She apparently was shot and killed by her husband in an apparent murder/suicide. I knew her personally and she was a nice lady, I just saw her Saturday at a BBQ. She did a lot for our gun rights here in the state of PA. She will be missed.

Sad news. Meleanie Hain [shefearsnothing] was killed tonight
    Lebanon Death Investigation - CBS 21 News
    'Pistol-packin' mom' fatally shot in apparent murder-suicide - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Sorry if this was already posted an I missed it.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear. Not good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links