Charleston police officer killed by FF, dash cam released.

This is a discussion on Charleston police officer killed by FF, dash cam released. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello, I have been a lurker for awhile and thought this should be posted. It happened a month ago, but they just recently released the ...

Thread: Charleston police officer killed by FF, dash cam released.

Charleston police officer killed by FF, dash cam released.

Hello, I have been a lurker for awhile and thought this should be posted. It happened a month ago, but they just recently released the radio traffic and dash cam today. Real sad for all the officers involved, just reiterates how dangerous any shooting can be.

BREAKING NEWS: Charleston Releases Dashcam Video of Deadly Chase

You can scroll down on this website (I hope) and read the full timeline on this story.

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charleston Mayor Danny Jones revealed at a Sunday evening news conference that "there's every reason to believe" friendly fire killed Patrolman Jerry Jones.

Patrolman Jones was shot and killed during a chase that ended in the Quick area of Kanawha County after 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

Mayor Danny Jones says police can't prove it at this point, but they believe the shot that killed Patrolman Jones came from one of the city's officers. Mayor Jones says they are not sure which gun the bullet came from, but police believe the suspect during the chase was "armed with a two-and-a-half-ton vehicle" and not a gun. Patrolman Jones was wearing a bullet proof vest when he was shot, but was hit just above it.

Mayor Jones says it all started at about 9 p.m. Saturday when the suspect, who the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department has identified as 31-year-old Brian Scott Good of Slack’s Trailer Court in Miliken, apparently hit a woman's car in Charleston and took off. Officers spotted his vehicle later in the night, and that's when the chase started.

Good pulled his pickup truck into a gravel lot off Quick Road, turned around and rammed his truck into a police cruiser at full throttle, and then backed up and hit two other cruisers, according to the mayor.

"He had to be stopped," said Jones. "You could not let this individual be turned back loose to the public.

Officers then shot and killed Good and Patrolman Jones was hit. Jones was flown to a Charleston hospital where he later died.

"Now, in the crossfire, it looks like something terrible has happened here," said Mayor Jones. "But in my eyes, these officers are all heroes."

Chief Brent Webster says he believes the officers made the right decisions.

"To me, it appeared that the incident was unavoidable, controlled by the suspect. He put the officers in a very bad situation. We didn't have any factors we could control," said Webster.

Mayor Jones said he thought it was important to get this information to the public as soon as possible.

"Police officers by their very nature are 100-percenters. When I tell police that are investigating this that I'd like to go ahead and get this out, not all of them, but some of them don't understand. They don't understand that number one: bad news doesn't get better with age, and two: if we don't get this out, some people are going to get pretty cynical and think we're trying to hold things back. We're not," said Mayor Jones.

Five police officers have been placed on paid leave, while the investigation into the shooting takes place. There were four officers at the scene, including Patrolman Jones, at the time of the incident. The other two on leave arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting took place.

It was also revealed Sunday night that there was a woman in the car with Good who was not hurt. The Kanawha County Prosecutor's office is assessing whether charges will be filed against her. Her name has not been released.

Patrolman Jones had been with the City of Charleston since 2005.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department says it is not releasing any more information about the incident at this point in the investigation."

I apologize if this is a repost.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Aint no such thing as "friendly fire".

One of Murphy's Law.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I could not get any of the police cam vids to work...none are available...not much info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder what the female was throwing out the window. I really could not tell from the dash cam who shot who. Thing like this tend to happen so fast. God bless the family and friends.

All of them worked fine for me.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Very sad! My deepest sympathy goes out to all LEO for the loss of their Brother.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Sad situation to be sure. My prayers for the family of the fallen officer.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For those interested, here are some better quality vids. some of the audio where they are working on him is pretty disturbing and sad. It goes to show how chaotic a shooting scene can be, because the one officer is convinced that the perp had a gun. This happened just a couple miles from my house and I knew his family pretty well, they were great people. RIP, Jerry.

Charleston Police Release Dashboard Cruiser Video Of Night Officer Jones Was Shot - WOWK-TV - WOWKTV.com

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinracer View Post
    For those interested, here are some better quality vids. some of the audio where they are working on him is pretty disturbing and sad. It goes to show how chaotic a shooting scene can be, because the one officer is convinced that the perp had a gun. This happened just a couple miles from my house and I knew his family pretty well, they were great people. RIP, Jerry.

Charleston Police Release Dashboard Cruiser Video Of Night Officer Jones Was Shot - WOWK-TV - WOWKTV.com
    I watched those videos, all I can say is wow, what a scene.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

What a mess...

The suspect should have complied, but I honestly don't understand why they fired (his car was barely moving--not an imminent threat) and fired at angles like that. It's easy to second guess, though...

The few Charleston, WV police I've interacted with have always been professional and helpful. All the more impressive when you consider how rough Kanawha County can be (by WV standards).

Links