Neighborhood Watch Gone Bad

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Watch Gone Bad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It looks like Mr. Campos's "certified public accounting" skills did not translate very well into law enforcement skills. Sounds like he's a big fan of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighborhood Watch Gone Bad

It looks like Mr. Campos's "certified public accounting" skills did not translate very well into law enforcement skills. Sounds like he's a big fan of watching Walker Texas Ranger, though.

To swoop in and come to a screeching stop in front of a moving vehicle to block it's path, and then pulling a gun on the occupants of the car you barricaded sounds a lot like he got his tactics by watching too much TV.

Then, as farronwolf points out, he essentially proceeds to shoot down an unarmed man who just surrendered to him speaks volumes towards the mans lack of judgment, lack of training, lack of common sense, lack of tactics and pretty much lack of intelligence.

Sounds a lot like a guy who went out and got a ccw permit and figured that all he needs to know.

I'm guessing this guy is going to be facing some serious prison time as well as losing most of his family fortune trying to keep out of prison.

But hey, at least he's got the accounting skills to figure out the cost of this little misadventure!

Oh, and he better fire up his calculator to figure how much he's going to be paying in the civil suit for Mr. Serbeck's life long permanent injuries.

I'm guessing Mr. Campos's daughter's college tuition just got flushed down the toilet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I just wonder what made the 15 year old girl so paranoid in order to get her father worked up enough to shoot a guy who had disarmed and basically surrendered.
    It would be a heck of a thing if the fears claimed by the kids ended up being true. If so, then justice could prevail either way. Strange, if so, though we'll likely never know. I wonder if the statements and claims the kids made to the father will come out in court and be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Sounds a lot like a guy who went out and got a ccw permit and figured that all he needs to know.

I'm guessing this guy is going to be facing some serious prison time as well as losing most of his family fortune trying to keep out of prison.

Makes a couple of $800 LFI courses seem downright inexpensive, by comparison, to avoid whar he has almost certainly charted for himself. Hell, Mr. StraightShooter could have found out 95% of what he needed to avoid right here, simply by kicking around scenarios and reading through the archives.

One has to wonder whether we've all got one or two of these sorts, in our neighborhoods, what with the rise in the number of concealed carriers. Wouldn't surprise me.

Be careful out there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like an angry man with frazzled nerves and his finger on the trigger got spooked by the situation he created himself.

This is tragic, disappointing, and preventable.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    While it sounds like Campos was clearly in the wrong, I do have to question the wisdom of Serbeck's actions. Being an "unofficial neighborhood watch" clearly seems like a bad idea. These sorts of activities: repeatedly driving around the neighborhood at night, following people, etc. are the kind of things that can easily seem suspicious. If you want to do this, make it official. Make sure people in your neighborhood know who you are and what you're doing.
    Yup.

All parties involved did dumb things.

Campos is gonna spend a lot of time in prison,the fact he thinks his actions are justified even after the evidence that was brought out in the preliminary hearing shows he has no clue what self defense entails,not only that but he escalated the situation,not even in Texas is that gonna save your bacon.On the other hand the fact that the other guy has a total of 2 rounds of ammo in his 45 is just amazing to me especially somebody thats a combat vet.I don't do neighborhood watches,I watch mine and if I see suspicious activity I call the cops.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links