Sad: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County

Sad: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County

This is a discussion on Sad: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very sad... this was in the next county over from mine: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County - The Daily Freeman ...

Thread: Sad: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County

Unhappy Sad: Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County

Very sad... this was in the next county over from mine:

Boy, 12, charged with killing brother, 8, in Delaware County - The Daily Freeman Blotter: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

DEPOSIT (AP)— A 12-year-old Delaware County boy has been charged with shooting his 8-year-old brother to death, but authorities on Tuesday declined to reveal what was behind the gunfire.

Authorities charged the older boy as a juvenile delinquent Monday and will prosecute him in Delaware County Family Court for conduct they say would constitute second-degree murder if he were an adult. Children must be at least 13 years old in New York to be prosecuted for murder as adults, said Janine Kava, a spokeswoman for the state Division of Criminal Justice Services.

The boys were home alone late Saturday afternoon when the older brother took a rifle from inside the house and fired a single shot, mortally wounding his younger brother, said state police Lt. Jeffrey Van Auken. The younger brother was airlifted to Wilson Regional Medical Center in Johnson City, where he later died.

The shooting initially was reported to emergency dispatchers as an accident, Van Auken said.

“As we investigated it, the circumstances changed,” he said.

Van Auken declined to provide any other details about the circumstances or whether the parents faced any charges. He also wouldn’t discuss the parents’ whereabouts at the time of the shooting.

State police did not identify the children because of their ages, but a neighbor said the victim was Daniel Schaeffer. No one answered the telephone Tuesday at the family’s house.

Delaware County District Attorney Richard Northrup Jr. was in court Tuesday and unavailable to explain the decision to prosecute. Delaware County Attorney Richard Spinney, whose office would handle the prosecution, said his office had not yet received the case and he could not comment.

Deposit is 30 miles east of Binghamton, not far from the New York-Pennsylvania state line. The family lived on a rural dead-end road.

A neighbor described the brothers as being very close and said they were home-schooled.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” said neighbor Edith Lobdell, who said the family had lived in the house for about a year. “They are good people. I’d see them out cutting firewood and stacking it for winter. I’d wave to them. I’ve never heard anyone say anything derogatory about them.”

The younger brother played pee wee football, she said. Organizers wanted to cancel Sunday’s game out of respect for the grieving family, but the family asked for the game to be played and dedicated to their son’s memory.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My 9 year old sometimes gets very mad at my 3 year old. I had no siblings. Somebody please tell me this is normal, and probably won't end up like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My 9 year old sometimes gets very mad at my 3 year old. I had no siblings. Somebody please tell me this is normal, and probably won't end up like this.
    Can't advise you on your kids, but can advise you to ALWAYS keep your fireams locked an inaccesable to unauthorized people. But you knew that.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sad story for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Can't advise you on your kids, but can advise you to ALWAYS keep your fireams locked an inaccesable to unauthorized people. But you knew that.
    +1, that's a big step in the right direction if it's not already done, and I might add limiting the amount of exposer to violence on the TV and any other places you can think of, (Video Games) when ever possible.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

A locked safe can go a long way to prevent needless accidents or to avoid unintended consequences...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can tell you about kids, I had three of them and they would fight all day long .(kids stuff) nothing serious! But someone else hurt any of the three and the other two would fight toe to toe for the third. As for the guns lockem away!!!!
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Have it on your body or under lock and key.

Kids are supernaturally gifted at "finding" things.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Doing serious never mind fatal harm to a sibling is not normal nor to be expected.
    But....Neither was this and most any other hideous crime that occurs in real life as with regularity.

Knowing nothing at all about your, your family or your children I would though as I long have in other threads suggest that this specific incident very easily and inexpensively could have been avoided if the firearm owner had simply invested in a firearm disabling action blocking lock!
    And to store the ammunition as locked too.

http://www.projectchildsafe.org

Seriously.

The world today and childrens minds are not at all same as they had been 'when we were kids'... :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links