VW owner uses switchblade style 'key' to fight off attacker

This is a discussion on VW owner uses switchblade style 'key' to fight off attacker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As originally posted at VWVortex Forums: Originally Posted by John@Rennelli 'Someone tried to car jack me tonight at 8, VW flip key saved me' I ...

Thread: VW owner uses switchblade style 'key' to fight off attacker

As originally posted at VWVortex Forums:

Quote Originally Posted by John@Rennelli

'Someone tried to car jack me tonight at 8, VW flip key saved me'

I was down at Hopkins tonight in Baltimore to visiting my friend- when I parked my car on 31st (extremely well lit, right off the main street) and when I got out a kid approached me (I won’t get into any specifics since I don’t want to start a racial issue) and asked me for a cigarette since he saw I was smoking. When I looked down and put my hand in my pocket out of nowhere he punched me in the forehead and then in the cheek. I fell against my car and he screamed at me to give him my car keys (I think he said it numerous times). I leaned on my car to get up and when he went to kick me I caught his foot and used it to pull myself aside. I ran away a few steps and pulled out my car keys to try to get back to my car and drive away. He ran towards me while I was fumbling with my keys and tried to punch me again, I side stepped, flipped open my Volkswagen key and punched him in the chest.

We fought for a couple seconds and he wouldn’t let off. Then for some unknown reason I lashed out at him and stabbed him in the arm with my VW key, then I just started stabbing at him and punching. Not sure how many times I stabbed him but I got him in the arm at least twice and in the stomach once. After that he shoved me really hard into the side of my car and started to run away. I ran after him a few steps and then ran to my car, reversed out, blew through the red light and flagged down a Hopkins security SUV a few streets down. The security guard did something on his radio and then drove off down the street to I guess look for the guy(?). Police showed up extremely quickly and searched the entire area. I was brought down to their precinct and had to give a statement and hand over my VW key that had blood on it (which I’ll be contacted on tomorrow). Around 945 the let me go home, fortunately I had my spare key in my glove box (stupid, I know).

I literally got home about 15 minutes ago. I’m not in the mood to call a thousand people so I typed this up. I’m really shaken up by this whole experience. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to find a way to cope with my anger issues (I used to be pretty bad) but I just blew up on this guy. The whole time I just wanted to get into my car and run away. Know how we always joke about how we’d kill someone if they tried to steal our car? I hope you’re never in a car jacking but the whole time I was thinking, “I need to get the hell out of here”- but I wasn’t giving him my car. VW key saved me from a horrendous beat down, or worse. At least I got my car though. No cuts or bruises on me either, which is extremely weird. I mean, he hit me HARD a few times.

Funny, I’ve always joked about how my VW key is like a knife. Who would have known.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2555497
    This is an excellent tale reinforcing the old saying that 'everything is a weapon'.
    Additionally situational awareness is critical as well as maintaining ones distance at a minimum of arms length from those one does not know on the street.
    This particular situation of being approached and asked for something is one of the oldest wolf techniques in the book.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Being in Maryland, they'll probably charge the car owner with violating the civil rights of the carjacker.

Maryland leads the nation in robbery for good reason. We cannot have the victims fighting back now...

Matt

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Just so everyone knows what we're talking about.
    Curry

That thread was an interesting read. Looks to me like there is a few serious sheeple posting there, however. I was glad to see that most of the post were supportive of the guy.

It was kind of sad that some seemed to apologize for congratulating him, though. Pathetic!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Assistant Administrator
    One thing comes out of his description of events - well to me. He was mad - madder than all get out. He had been hit but more than that - someone wanted his car!!!

I think we need to remember that if something goes down - anger is all but essential - because we may have to fight beyond what we'd consider our normal potential - that it seems to me is what got this guy really cranked - he was riled up good!

I'll bet tho his knees are still shaking!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Keys are a very good weapon and should be used to attack soft tissues like the eyes and throat. I guess the moral is have a spare.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    Actually that was one thing that has always amused me post - 9/11. TSA took the nail file off a set of nail clippers, then they left me with my car key which was both longer and sharper. Go figure.......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Actually that was one thing that has always amused me post - 9/11. TSA took the nail file off a set of nail clippers, then they left me with my car key which was both longer and sharper. Go figure.......
    Isn't that the truth.

But, back to the thread, maybe the "misguided" kid will hesitate next time. Better yet (my bad side coming out), maybe he'll get an infection in the arm and have it amputated, necessitating his exit from criminal activity. <sigh> I know, not gonna happen.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Links