Two Different Outcomes....

This is a discussion on Two Different Outcomes.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the first story, a man acted heroically to save the lives of others, and paid the ultimate price ("Greater love hath no man..."): http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/18507.asp ...

VIP Member

In the first story, a man acted heroically to save the lives of others, and paid the ultimate price ("Greater love hath no man..."):

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/18507.asp

In the second story, a man defended himself and survived:

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/18616.asp

The obligatory disclaimer to call 911 is the last comment of the second story, but that would not have helped the first victim, and probably not the second either had he not been armed and willing to defend himself and his family.

Condolences to the family of the hero who perished, and the hope that the perpetrators of the crime are swiftly brought to justice.

i wonder how that female store clerk feels about not giving up her jewelry. not saying this is the difference but it does show resistance without a plan.
    john

Assistant Administrator
    The first is very tragic - only had the dead guy been carrying could he have had a chance to help. The price he paid was the ultimate.

This from the second one -
    Police recommend people do not take matters into their own hands. They recommend you call them for help during these kinds of situations.
    WHY oh why do they make these crazy statements - where is the logic or sense. Yeah right ''leave it to us'' - oh sure - call in the clean-up brigade after bodies are down. Really - that sort of stuff riles me.

This proves (if proof even needed) that the armed good guy is his OWN salvation - probably no chance to call the deal in - it needed action and immediate action - which he did and good for him.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I centered in on the same quote from the second story that Chris did.

Police recommend people do not take matters into their own hands. They recommend you call them for help during these kinds of situations.
    The key word that indicates how stupid and ignorant the media and the people making statements for the police is during. Please mister robber with the pistol pointed at my head could I be excused to call 911? I have a sneaking suspicion that "during" the 15 to 30 seconds "these kinds of situations" last you could not even get the call made. If you were in a back room and saw this incident going down and called immediately you could not get the number dialed, get an operator to answer, and provide even the address within the amount of time it would take for the whole thing to blow up. If the man had started to give the robber the money instead of defending himself and did not move fast enough for the robber he could have been dead before the back room caller was half way through telling the 911 operator what was going on.

So much for calling "them for help during these kinds of situations."
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Yep, as posted in other threads, the police can't help until it's over. And in the first case, that was too late. In the second case, the suspect was a regular customer, so the victims knew him; he might have been considering shooting them to conceal his identity. Luckily (OK, it wasn't at all luck) we didn't have to find out.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Store Clerk: " Hi Mr. badguy. Would you mind taking the gun out of my face while I make a phone call?"

Ill never understand the sheeple
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

I work in law enforcement everyday and I will tell you that we are only here to clean up the mess. We are almost never there to prevent a crime and never will be. Bad guys and gals almost never act out when we are there. You and only you are able to protect your family. Be ready, Be Trained and Be Willing to act, then call the police.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

I thought the same thing, what a stupid thing to say.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

What I noticed most about the second story was the headline: "Store Owner Fights Back During Robbery." They make it sound like he threw canned goods at the robber. You never see a headline like "Store Owner Blows Hole in Scumbag; Cops Call It A Good Shoot."

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

i think we all know what a silly statement that was made by the police... someome needs to tell them what a silly statement that is. perhaps they will see the errors of their ways.

or not.

rd

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As I have stated before(with respect).....take 20 senior LEO's,total up years of service,divide by the number of felonies that they have stopped during their commission. Whatdaya get ????? -------

VIP Member
    "Police recommend people do not take matters into their own hands. They recommend you call them for help during these kinds of situations."

This is the standard clap trap of the liberal biased media. It's a mantra that must always be included in a story about someone defending themselves. It's the same when they have to report that "an SUV struck/killed/maimed/..." when they never bother reporting what type of car it was if it wasn't an SUV!

Links