School shooting in SC

This is a discussion on School shooting in SC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by edr9x23super My Grandfather used to tell me that.... My father used to say that central heat was the end of civility and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School shooting in SC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    My Grandfather used to tell me that....
    My father used to say that central heat was the end of civility and democracy.

When kids had to get along to stay where it was warm, they learned to tolerate, accommodate and resolve.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Exact same method/mode here Dave.

chrise2004 I sat through a multi-hour adults only closed door (invitation only not open to the general public) presentation this past winter as by a career resource officer with just under 30 yrs. of as much under his belt.
    He got to talking about his experiences and the things he's seen and heard and been told by these kids. Honest to God I sat there looking at him and I had three thoughts;
    1) I think he is getting emotional and just might begin to tear up :(
    2) He very much loves his job and these kids, even the bad ones who give him endless grief...Who interestingly tend to come from as he and his fellow officers noted 'bad kid' parents of decades prior :(
    3) He's very likely to be reassigned due to budget cuts, and as such real world children will suffer. :(

Then in early summer I noted in my regional paper that as due to budget cuts state and county that the local PD was forced into having to release two officers, early retire two others, and they specifically stated that the school resource officer was being reassigned to patrol duty as full time.

That news made me feel very sad for him and as he repeatedly put it "his kids". :(

This is the world we live in today, and that our own kids have to inherit.
    Sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm in a small-town/suburb of a medium-sized city.
    The HS and Middle School both have resource officers.

Most of the schools (at least HS and Middle) in FL have one.

Oh, for the good ol' days.
    That is one area where they really were better.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

My wife taught at a public school in SC and they had an armed resource officer. At bball games there where always 3-4 officers standing arround waiting for the STHTF and it did on a regular basis. Students from one school fighting with students from the other.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Janq

it's just amazing the lack of responsibility and understanding the "board of educators" has. That's sad that he got let go when he loved the job and all that it entailed even the tough situations. I hope he either found something or is enjoying margaritas on a beach some where :)
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Chrise,

They didn't force retire him, though he's nearing his expiration, but rather put him on FT patrol duty instead.
    Of all the officers I'd had opportunity to listen to and talk with, he and his presentation very much stood out to me and still does.

I worry for my country. Our country.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Three movies are standing out in my mind right now, not because they were that good but because there are schools that are really like in the movies.

1. Dangerous Minds
    2. The Principal
    3. Stand by Me

Schools should be the one place where kids can go to be safe and learn. Pay the Teachers more, allow them to arm themselves and hold the parents responsible for their kids' actions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    Read some of the comments. Incredible that some are blaming the SRO for killing the student.
    Some of those comments are making my blood pressure go through the roof.

How can anyone in their right mind blame the resource officer? He acted in self-defense, and saved the lives of who knows how many students.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post

How can anyone in their right mind blame the resource officer? He acted in self-defense, and saved the lives of who knows how many students.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

'nuf said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post

People just can't get over the fact that a "student" would attack someone. Ridiculous.

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

The story after the story will bear watching with this one. I got a hunch someone will try to make the SRO the bad guy in this one.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Resource Officer..........How times have changed. When I was in high school some of us and some teachers would bring guns to school during hunting season....................And we all carried evil knives too.
    When my wife retired from teaching high school just a few years there were Resource Officers in the schools.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Resource Officer..........How times have changed. When I was in high school some of us and some teachers would bring guns to school during hunting season....................And we all carried evil knives too.
    When my wife retired from teaching high school just a few years there were Resource Officers in the schools.
    oldogy
    i remember going hunting before class and bringing everything with me to school shotguns everything with me then going back out to the field after school. my old h.s. school doesn't have a officer to my knowledge.....not yet atleast...

NRA Member/Supporter

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My son's very rural elementary school (my old school) has a full time SRO. I went to high school with him. We never needed them when I was in high school, way back in '85.

Any guesses what the SRO's role is when Beslan or Columbine recurs?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If this 16 year old was willing to pull a knife and attack a cop, what would he be willing to do to another student or a teacher?
    The Resouce Officer 'solved' the problem and some future problems.

'Nuff said!"
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 17th, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links