School shooting in SC

This is a discussion on School shooting in SC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read the article and a couple things stood out. The student was armed. The student specifically asked to speak with the SRO. The student ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School shooting in SC

I read the article and a couple things stood out.
    The student was armed.
    The student specifically asked to speak with the SRO.
    The student attacked an individual he knew to be armed.
    I was a lawman for too many years.
    I had the good fortune to be pre-warned by a worried (and abused) wife who said her husband was going to try and suicide by cop.
    Because of her timely warning we handled a disturbed individual without having to punch his ticket.
    This kid sounds like he suicided by SRO.
    I could be wrong.
    I was not there.
    I have no insight into the student's mind, and my crystal ball ran out of batteries two weeks ago.
    Still ...
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

2. Remove Ads

Here is a link that lays out the requirements to be a SRO in South Carolina. It will answer many questions as to the background/training requirements that some of you have voiced. The bottom line is SRO's are "trained and experienced Law Enforcement Officers".
    http://www.scdps.org/ojp/cjgp/jag/ja...%20Officer.doc

The SRO is on Administrative Leave pending a full investigation into the incident. According to published reports, the student was armed with TWO knives, and was hit 5 times by the SRO, the most critical hit was center chest.

It's sad that our children/grandchildren/great grandchildren will have to face this as they pursue their education.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

KoB
    I too currently work in a public school in FL. Resource officers can either be Sherriff Deputies or officers from the local PD. After conversing with several SRO's (schoo resource officers), I have learned that each department (local PD or Sherriff's) has a special division just for SRO's. Unfortunately with financial budget cuts, several schools in my district when from 2 SRO's (larger student populations) to 1 SRO. Thus putting a heavier burden on just 1 officer. To make matters even worst, they powers that be changed departmental policy and banned all SRO's from carrying Tasers. Maybe if this SRO had a Taser, a young life would have been spared?

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    Maybe if this SRO had a Taser, a young life would have been spared?
    Frankly, I dont care. Likely all that would have meant is that instead of a case closed ending, he would have spent years being supported by tax money in and out of prison until he got his ticket punched somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    I too currently work in a public school in FL. Resource officers can either be Sherriff Deputies or officers from the local PD. After conversing with several SRO's (schoo resource officers), I have learned that each department (local PD or Sherriff's) has a special division just for SRO's. Unfortunately with financial budget cuts, several schools in my district when from 2 SRO's (larger student populations) to 1 SRO. Thus putting a heavier burden on just 1 officer. To make matters even worst, they powers that be changed departmental policy and banned all SRO's from carrying Tasers. Maybe if this SRO had a Taser, a young life would have been spared?
    +1 on the taser, I believe they should have a taser most cops carry them and this is an example of possibly where a taser could have stopped this young kid and who knows maybe taught him a good enough lesson to turn his life around.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    This is wild and sad... so the resource officer had a weapon? I've never heard of a resource officer at a school so I'm clueless on this one. I need more on this story.
    Both resource officers at my school were armed.

As far as the Taser angle, I disagree. The proper response to deadly force is not with a taser. And we're all aware of the 21ft rule - imagine sitting right across from a threat in a tiny school office. It doesn't matter if the officer has a Chuck Norris draw - he still would've gotten stabbed as we see here.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Frankly, I dont care. Likely all that would have meant is that instead of a case closed ending, he would have spent years being supported by tax money in and out of prison until he got his ticket punched somewhere else.
    Couldn't agree more. Some people can't be rehabilitated, and I don't really care for someone who tries to commit murder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links