School shooting in SC

School shooting in SC

This is a discussion on School shooting in SC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (9:55am) Shooting and stabbing at Carolina Forest High School : News : WPDE (Updated 9:55 am) Horry County school officials have confirmed that both a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School shooting in SC

School shooting in SC

(9:55am) Shooting and stabbing at Carolina Forest High School : News : WPDE

(Updated 9:55 am) Horry County school officials have confirmed that both a stabbing and a shooting occurred at Carolina Forest High School this morning, leading to the school being locked down.

We're told an 11th grade male student asked to see the school resource officer this morning, and that a confrontation occurred. Horry County school officials say the student stabbed the school resource officer and that the school resource officer returned with a gunshot.

Horry County police have a mobile command unit at the school, but say the situation is under control and no one is in danger. The conditions of the school resource officer and the student have not been released.

Stay with CarolinaLive.com and NewsChannel 15 for the very latest.

Resource officer stabbed, student shot | SCNow

Carolina Forest High School was placed on lockdown Friday morning after an incident involving a school resource officer being stabbed by a student and the student being shot.

According to Teal Britton with Horry County Schools, the incident happened inside the school shortly after school let in. Britton said an 11th-grade-student assaulted the school resource officer with a knife and the officer then fired his gun and shot the student.

Britton says at around 8:25 a.m., the student asked to speak with the resource officer and went into his office. No students witnessed this attack because the door was closed.

Both were taken by ambulance to Conway Hospital for treatment. There’s no word on their conditions.

Britton says there is no information at this time whether the student had recently been involved in disciplinary action at the school.

She says the students are aware that something happened at the school this morning and praised the students for “behaving beautifully” for following the school’s emergency action plan.

Britton said the situation is under control and the campus of Carolina Forest High School is secure. The lockdown is still in effect, though, and no one is being let in or out of the school.

Britton referred to the situation as “bizarre and unexpected,“ but says the school hopes to lift the lockdown by 11:00 a.m. and resume with a normal school day.

She says it is up to the students and their parents if they decide to stay at school or be dismissed early.

News13 has confirmed two ambulances did leave the school shortly after 9 a.m.

Count on more information on this developing story as it becomes available.

Weird but at least the driveby media cannot use this as an example against ordinary citizens with CCW...

Hope the officer recovers fully and quickly!

VIP Member
    student died
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    We're told an 11th grade male student asked to see the school resource officer this morning, and that a confrontation occurred. Horry County school officials say the student stabbed the school resource officer and that the school resource officer returned with a gunshot.
    Good thing he didn't ask to see an unarmed teacher or administrator.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This is wild and sad... so the resource officer had a weapon? I've never heard of a resource officer at a school so I'm clueless on this one. I need more on this story.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    This is wild and sad... so the resource officer had a weapon? I've never heard of a resource officer at a school so I'm clueless on this one. I need more on this story.
    In larger metro areas it's become a necessary evil. Where I grew up they were actual patrol officers assigned as part of the school resource officer program. They would be available should any incidents occur at the school and they also regularly patrolled the immediately surrounding community.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    In larger metro areas it's become a necessary evil. Where I grew up they were actual patrol officers assigned as part of the school resource officer program. They would be available should any incidents occur at the school and they also regularly patrolled the immediately surrounding community.
    Same for where I grew up, we had uniformed LEO monitoring the metal detectors at the entrance and plain clothes detachment from Dallas PD that was always on site in the "youth action" group.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Thanks packinnova for the explanation i figured it was a school security officer but never heard of it as a resource officer. We don't have anything even close to that in our school. I don't know why school boards can't get it through their thick skulls to have a armed guard or a teacher with the proper training/background that can carry at a school. This is a prime example on how maybe 1 or more lives was just saved thanks to a GUN on SCHOOL GROUNDS!

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I live in a rural area and we now have assigned resource officers as well.

They are typically armed though not wearing the same amount of gear and even more relaxed civilian like uniform apparel than that of a beat/cruiser police.

Sadly as I'm told by local police administration and school administrators, it is full school year beneficial and necessary these days to have their presence and involvement with students.
    One such officer I talked with directly and extensively stated that students have all manner of issues on going at home and on the streets to which they come to him to act as an intermediary at times or even as a pseudo-guidance counselor. He went on to say he often sees the children of the children he graduated a decade prior come back through to his school and to him with exact same problems as their parents.

It's a sad reality.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ridiculous. Our schools have turned into mini-prisons and killing fields instead of places of learning. Well, let me back up - they have learned one lesson today:

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight......

My Grandfather used to tell me that I would know when the end of our country was at hand; He said that when we began building more prisons than we were building schools, the end was probably 20 years away. When People began to embrace the ways and politics of our enemies, he said the end would be a few years away. I see both happening now right before my eyes....... Tough times are ahead, people.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

EDR,

That ratio tipping point began IIRC in the early to mid '90s, so by your grandpa's math we have a half decade or less left. :|

Interestingly at complete random as I began to draft this reply the song 'Crazy' as by Seal comes on Pandora internet radio.
    A reflection...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Read some of the comments. Incredible that some are blaming the SRO for killing the student.

Janq

it's definitely a different world we live in now. it's sad that families get into a cycle and have the same issues as their parents, instead of growing out of them or realizing the issues they just take the easy way out and blame their childhood or parents and use that as a crutch. I know people have their own issues but it's sad these kids don't have the support/structure that they need at home and then it leads some something like this.

This officer did what he had to do. It's sad but this kid should have known the consequences he's a junior in high school.

NRA Member/Supporter

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I live in a rural area and we now have assigned resource officers as well....
    Same here in rural VA -- albeit they are full time Deputies, depending on the county, most HS, MS, JH have full time Deputies, where as the lower grades have part-time (e.g., split between schools but working full-time).

Deputies w/ families consider it a prime assignment -- fixed M-F day shift w/ OT for sports events.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links