Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!) - Page 2

Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!)

This is a discussion on Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The statement they made is perfectly truthful. I like it. If it "tweaks" the justice system that they aren't doing a very good job, so ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    The statement they made is perfectly truthful. I like it. If it "tweaks" the justice system that they aren't doing a very good job, so be it.

That being said, I DO understand the CJS is way overloaded and letting crooks go is their way of letting off steam. Short of getting the people to fund the system at a much higher level, that is about all they can do.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    The statement they made is perfectly truthful. I like it. If it "tweaks" the justice system that they aren't doing a very good job, so be it.

Oh yeah... I'd love to see the look on your face at your arraignment.

Hey, I'm not saying I don't agree with their statement. It's kind of a given... Why brag about it when it can send you to prison.

If you don't think there are folks doing time in prison because of how they acted for an otherwise justifiable shoot, then I recommend you go have lunch with a superior court judge sometime and ask him how many he sent to prison for just such a mistake.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What is the right thing to say?

Nothing? (as if that has ever or will ever happen)

"I thought I was going to die"?

Im hoping I say something like, "I'm in shock right now.... ask me again later"(ie after I chat with my attorney)

God Bless the Good Humor Man! I have to remind people what happens to one's home. It pains me to hear friends and family say, "Oh, your crazy, you know what the odds are of a home invasion?" Tell that to the thousands of victims of these brutal crimes!

If the facts are correct as indicated that the BG had him at gunpoint, in his own house I doubt that anyone would charge voluntary manslaughter especially if prosecutors are ELECTED in FL
    But your point that he has made his life more complicated than it needed to be is 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You can bet the prosecutor is at the very least reviewing this public statement as he decides if he is going to charge any of these brothers.

Remember, what you say in the post shooting aftermath can and will be used against you. Often times, even if it is a spontaneous utterance.

Castle Doctrine helps, but they aren't out of the woods yet! It would totally and royally suck if that one phrase quoted in the newspaper is what the prosecutor uses to charge voluntary manslaughter.

That statement shows malice. To some, it says, "I don't like how the legal system works, so I'm going to be judge, jury and executioner!"

Personally, I think they were correct in shooting as at least one of the intruders had a gun, but statements like that is why there are a lot of good guys in prison today because of something they said after the event!

Excellent right up until he opened his mouth
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Actually I'm pretty sure they weren't Good Humor Men!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Actually I'm pretty sure they weren't Good Humor Men!
    Ben &Jerrys new flavor"Blood and Bullets"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This story is a little depressing...

Replacing good carpeting can be expensive and time-consuming...tile would have been so much easier for 'clean up'.

An armed 25 year old cruising the 'hood' on a bicycle to find places to break into..........???????
    These dirtbags got exactly what they needed...errrr, well one did. Hopefully the other is charged because of a death while a crime was committed with a firearm.

Florida 10-20-LIFE -- Mandatory Minimum Prison Sentences
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope this has a positive ending for the brothers.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Good for the homeowners! Bad for the BG losers, and as it should be IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WHEC724
    "I could have called 911, and in two days they let him go and they do it again," Anthony Julien said. "We shot them first and then called 911."

Good for the brothers, but I hope I never make a statement like that if I'm in that situation...

Yeah, I kinda winced when I read that.

WHEW!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!

I think Thats going into the books as one of the things NOT to say to the press . You never know how ANYONE will interpret that statement

Suggestion:::: The bad man had a gun pointed at me, I was in fear of losing my life!

Remember, what you say in the post shooting aftermath can and will be used against you. Often times, even if it is a spontaneous utterance.

Castle Doctrine helps, but they aren't out of the woods yet! It would totally and royally suck if that one phrase quoted in the newspaper is what the prosecutor uses to charge voluntary manslaughter.

That statement shows malice. To some, it says, "I don't like how the legal system works, so I'm going to be judge, jury and executioner!"

Personally, I think they were correct in shooting as at least one of the intruders had a gun, but statements like that is why there are a lot of good guys in prison today because of something they said after the event!

Bark'n has spoken, If you are wise you will heed this advice.
    This is exactly what I was thinking

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Last edited by oneshot; October 18th, 2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: add a line
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"I could have called 911, and in two days they let him go and they do it again," Anthony Julien said. "We shot them first and then called 911."
    Thats thinking! Good for them, keeping cool under pressure.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links