Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!)

Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!)

This is a discussion on Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Orange County burglar shootings: Detectives investigating Orange County burglar shootings -- OrlandoSentinel.com Tired from a long day at work, brothers Anthony and Peter Julien arrived ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!)

Thumbs up Brothers shoot intruders, killing 1 (GOOD!)

Orange County burglar shootings: Detectives investigating Orange County burglar shootings -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Tired from a long day at work, brothers Anthony and Peter Julien arrived home Tuesday night to find a bedroom light on and two bicycles in front of their Pine Hills home.

Anthony Julien went inside through the garage, a 9mm gun in his hand. One intruder was in Julien's bedroom to the right. Another man was pointing a gun at him from the dining room on the left. Julien dropped to one knee, knowing it was the stranger or him.

"When I saw he had a gun in his hand, I bent down and, 'pow,' I shot him right here," Julien said.

Both brothers opened fire. One intruder was killed, and a second was wounded.

The Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office will decide whether charges should be filed against Anthony Julien, 50, or his brother, Peter, 57. Under the state's Castle Doctrine, however, residents can legally use deadly force to protect themselves against intruders.

"I'm sorry about what happened, but I didn't want him to kill me," Peter Julien said.

On Wednesday night, the two brothers cleaned up blood from a bedroom rug and a dining-room carpet and accepted visits of support from friends at their house in the 6700 block of Rubens Court.

One neighbor told Anthony Julien that her home had been burglarized, too. But he said the area, near Hiawassee and Clarcona-Ocoee roads, is normally safe and quiet.

The brothers, owners of an ice-cream truck, had been at work for more than 12 hours and made a quick stop at Walmart on the way home Tuesday. Soft-spoken, no-nonsense men from the Caribbean island of Grenada, they didn't hesitate when they discovered the strangers.

"I could have called 911, and in two days they let him go and they do it again," Anthony Julien said. "We shot them first and then called 911."

Orange County deputies identified Brandon Martinez, 17, as the gunman who was shot dead. Jonathan Rodriguez, 25, was found in a nearby driveway with a gunshot wound and was recovering Wednesday night at Orlando Regional Medical Center. Investigators are trying to sort out what happened to a third burglar whom Peter Julien also reported seeing.

A day after the shooting, the Juliens tried to put their home back together. A large rectangle of bloodstained dark-green carpet had to be removed from the dining room, where an old portrait of Anthony Julien, his former wife and their son hangs on the wall. A bloodstained mattress and box spring sat at the curb waiting for the garbage truck.

The trespassers broke a rear window. They pulled out drawers and dumped the contents. They tried to open a closet safe. They sorted through papers and envelopes, jewelry and coins. They upended bedding and tossed around clothes. Investigators found watches belonging to the brothers on at least one of the men who were shot, Peter Julien said. Some gold chains are missing, he said.

"The whole place was torn apart," Anthony Julien said as he surveyed the mess.

Tuesday's shooting was the third this month in which Central Florida-area residents have shot men who investigators say tried to victimize them.

On Oct. 4, a Daytona Beach man shot and killed Armando Navarro, 24, an armed intruder who broke into a home on Jean Street. Detectives determined the shooting was justified.

On Sunday, Oct. 11, Johnny Preston, a Lakeland tradesman, shot and wounded one of two men who tried to rob him at gunpoint in his front yard. The Polk County Sheriff's Office is investigating the circumstances.
    III

Another one bites the dust in the Gunshine State

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    One neighbor told Anthony Julien that her home had been burglarized, too. But he said
    the area, near Hiawassee and Clarcona-Ocoee roads, is normally safe and quiet.

If I had a nickel for every neighbor who is quoted as saying how "quiet" their neighborhood is, I could afford to buy good ammo and a new house to store it in.

On Sunday, Oct. 11, Johnny Preston, a Lakeland tradesman, shot and wounded one of
    two men who tried to rob him at gunpoint in his front yard.

Somebody ask me again if carrying around the house makes me paranoid. Go ahead. Ask.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    "I could have called 911, and in two days they let him go and they do it again," Anthony Julien said. "We shot them first and then called 911."

Good for the brothers, but I hope I never make a statement like that if I'm in that situation...

The Ice Cream Man is not one for messing around. Good on him. He may well have saved the lives of several innocent victims down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

Good for the brothers, but I hope I never make a statement like that if I'm in that situation...

Yeah, I kinda winced when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    [I]...If I had a nickel for every neighbor who is quoted as saying how "quiet" their neighborhood is, I could afford to buy good ammo and a new house to store it in...
    Including that of my neighbor right next door to me on my right roughly 75 yds. away.
    They suffered a home invasion type burglary as n the middle of the night this past July. The burglar did not attack them and they did not awaken.

It very much shook them up to awaken the next day and find their home, and they, had been violated as they slept.

My house is the only house on the block that _always_ has it's porch, garage, and rear deck & yard illuminated nightly.
    My neighbor and other neighbors commented same to me and I told them flatly to their face the reason why is because crooks are opportunistic and will most often choose the path of least resistance. In my case it would be, and was, one of my neighbors houses rather than my own.

Good for me, not so good for my very alarmed neighbors amongst the entire block.
    All they had to say was I thought this was a good neighborhood...Nothing like this has ever happened here before...We normally keep our doors unlocked and in the summer windows open!

The burglar gained entry through an unlocked and open garage window to which they pushed in the screen, and walked into the house through a normally unlocked house access door as inside the attached garage.

Yet another nickel to pocket.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Good for the brothers. Their house, their castle. I hope Florida's Castle Doctrine gives them the protection it should. Any armed invader in your home should expect a tradgic ending their endeavor.
    NRA Life Member

Look out BGs, the Ice Cream Man cometh.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Orange County burglar shootings: Detectives investigating Orange County burglar shootings -- OrlandoSentinel.com

"When I saw he had a gun in his hand, I bent down and, 'pow,' I shot him right here," Julien said.

Both brothers opened fire. One intruder was killed, and a second was wounded.

The Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office will decide whether charges should be filed against Anthony Julien, 50, or his brother, Peter, 57. Under the state's Castle Doctrine, however, residents can legally use deadly force to protect themselves against intruders.
    Poop on this. They should give them medals.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; October 16th, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: fix quotes
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Outstanding!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Outstanding!!
    Yeah,

Brother Anthony.....

did make a regretful statement. But, he also reported that the unfortunate victim of society (bg) had a gun pointed at him. So, hopefully, the facts will trump his unfortunate recounting of the events to the press.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

You can bet the prosecutor is at the very least reviewing this public statement as he decides if he is going to charge any of these brothers.

Remember, what you say in the post shooting aftermath can and will be used against you. Often times, even if it is a spontaneous utterance.

Castle Doctrine helps, but they aren't out of the woods yet! It would totally and royally suck if that one phrase quoted in the newspaper is what the prosecutor uses to charge voluntary manslaughter.

That statement shows malice. To some, it says, "I don't like how the legal system works, so I'm going to be judge, jury and executioner!"

Personally, I think they were correct in shooting as at least one of the intruders had a gun, but statements like that is why there are a lot of good guys in prison today because of something they said after the event!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

As I understood the story they saw their house was being burglarized. They drew and "cleared" the house. In my view more power to them. But what does the law say about that? Does the Castle doctrine allow one to enter their home, knowing it has been invaded, with the intention of catching or shooting or running off the invaders?

I hope these guys get medals. But the comment that has been quoted several times here combined with the fact that they came home to a burglary, discovered it before entering, and entered anyway, gives me cause for concern, as a noob, that they would be prosecuted.

It does not sound like anyone else lived there that they would have been trying to protect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links