"Accidental Discharge" in my town...

This is a discussion on "Accidental Discharge" in my town... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Accident? Right. Shot fired in west-side restaurant Gun of customer at eatery accidentally fires, scaring diners By Craig Peters craig.peters@shj.com Published: Friday, October 16, 2009 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Accidental Discharge" in my town...

"Accidental Discharge" in my town...

Accident? Right.

Shot fired in west-side restaurant
    Gun of customer at eatery accidentally fires, scaring diners

By Craig Peters
    craig.peters@shj.com

Published: Friday, October 16, 2009 at 3:15 a.m.
    Last Modified: Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 10:08 p.m.

Lunchtime diners at Jack in the Box on Spartanburg's west side had a noisy surprise Tuesday when a gun discharged one bullet into the restaurant's floor.

Orlanda Gambrell, manager of the Jack in the Box at 1500 W.O. Ezell Blvd., said Thursday night that the noise scared the crowded restaurant's guests and employees, but no one was hurt.

Gambrell said a gun was in the pocket of a male customer she did not know. She said the gun fired once because of "a manufacturer's defect" while the man was standing near the fountain drink station. The bullet put a hole in the man's front pocket and caused a small chip in the tile floor.

Gambrell said the man was eating with his friend, who is a frequent customer of the restaurant. Gambrell calls the frequent customer "Mr. Marshal" because he is a "marshal or constable" who wears a badge and holstered gun during his dining visits.

The men insisted they were fine and left, according to the incident report. Gambrell told police she did not report the incident because she thought the person in law enforcement would take care of it.

Spartanburg Public Safety responded to the restaurant approximately two hours later. Capt. Art Littlejohn said police received an e-mail complaint about the incident.

According to the report, a female customer picked up the shell casing, said "This is the bullet" and left with it. Gambrell recovered a bullet fragment and gave it to police.

Spartanburg Public Safety is investigating the incident but does not plan to file any charges.

Littlejohn said the incident was not in violation of city policy regarding the discharge of a firearm because there was no intent.

Gambrell said Thursday night that the man whose gun fired and the more frequent customer returned to the restaurant for lunch Wednesday. Gambrell said she learned both of them have gun permits, but the man whose gun discharged did not bring his weapon into the restaurant.

Gambrell said she recognizes the men on sight but does not know their names. She said the men have offered to fix her floor. She said the damage was so minimal "if you don't look at it, you wouldn't know it's there."

"It happened so fast they didn't know what was going on," Gambrell said. "They were very apologetic."
    Shot fired in west-side restaurant | GoUpstate.com | Spartanburg Herald-Journal | Spartanburg SC
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

Bet 10-1 gun in pocket wasn't in a holster and he reached in his pocket for something and bang,I would like to know how she came to the conclusion the gun fired as a result of a manufacturing defect,"cause the customer said so?"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There's precious little information to go on.

She said the gun fired once because of "a manufacturer's defect" while the man was standing near the fountain drink station.
    The gun fired itself, and that firing was due to a "manufacturer's defect." She knows this how, exactly? The answer is hidden in the silence, there.

If the gun was in the pocket, was it holstered?

If it fired, was it being fiddled with?

If it just "fired," then how did an inanimate object do that, all by itself?

If the two folks were legitimate law enforcement, then why was their law enforcement agency not notified officially of their ND?

Since the agency was apparently notified unofficially, I wonder what they had to say when the matter was brought to their attention, as to why they didn't officially account for the fired round while (apparently) on duty. Hm.

Plus, a point of order: since it was Spartanburg, how many people could possibly have been "scared" by the simple firing of a gun? I mean ... c'mon. It was Spartanburg.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Think this will start a wave of no CC sign postings at Jack in the Box restaurants nationwide? Something was defective alright.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The defect was installing a trigger, apparently.

So is Mr. Marshal-Man an LEO or a permit holder with a toy badge? And who was his companion?

Sheesh!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm curious what caliber would hit a tile floor at about waist height and only leave a faintly visible chip.

An easy one to solve ,just look up the one guy in the whole state who has bought a CCW badge and they'll find the mysterious shooter.
    The manufacturers defect is in the guys brain , playing pocket pool with a gun in your pocket is a no-no.

Gambrell said a gun was in the pocket of a male customer she did not know. She said the gun fired once because of "a manufacturer's defect" while the man was standing near the fountain drink station.
    I'm sure the manager is a highly qualified gun expert with the knowledge to make such a conclusion.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The defect was installing a trigger, apparently.

So is Mr. Marshal-Man an LEO or a permit holder with a toy badge? And who was his companion?

Sheesh!
    CCW Badge for sure!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

The trigger was apparently touched by something......a 'defective gun owner' perhaps?
    Guns do not fire by themselves...and they certainly cannot accidently go off while in a holster.

Was this in the "Maroooon Cafe"?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Discharged on it's own..... Yeah right! Sell it to someone else, I'm not buyin it.

I agree, he probably didn't have it in a holster and put his picker on the trigger. What a goofball.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Gambrell said the man was eating with his friend, who is a frequent customer of the restaurant. Gambrell calls the frequent customer "Mr. Marshal" because he is a "marshal or constable" who wears a badge and holstered gun during his dining visits.
    Maybe a CCW Badge isn't such a bad idea!

Sure would like to know the real story behind this!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Let's see. I have owned firearms for a good 30+ years, including handguns and have not ever had one "go off" accidentally.

I'd say the user was a bit defective, not the handgun. More "ammunition" though for the anti crowd on how dangerous the inanimate object really is.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Let's see. I have owned firearms for a good 30+ years, including handguns and have not ever had one "go off" accidentally.

I'd say the user was a bit defective, not the handgun. More "ammunition" though for the anti crowd on how dangerous the inanimate object really is.
    I agree, but to be sure , we really don't know the whole gist of the matter

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links