This may explain Women drivers

This is a discussion on This may explain Women drivers within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Female drunk drivers show an alarming increase, prompting NHTSA officials to take a careful look at the changing gender statistics of alcohol-impaired driving. Data shows ...

Thread: This may explain Women drivers

This may explain Women drivers

Female drunk drivers show an alarming increase, prompting NHTSA officials to take a careful look at the changing gender statistics of alcohol-impaired driving.

Data shows that from 1998 to 2007 DUI arrests among men decreased from 676,911 to 626,371, and during that same period, DUI by women shot up dramatically from 126,119 to 162,493.

The government estimates that 2,000 fatalities a year involve an impaired female driver. "Impaired driving is an issue that cuts across all segments of society," Transportation secretary Ray LaHood said. "Sadly, the number of arrests of women driving under the influence is on the rise. This is clearly a very disturbing trend." The administration described the enormity of the problem, noting that nearly 13,000 people were killed in highway crashes involving at least one driver exceeding the BAC limit of 0.08.

Drunk driving is especially tragic by age group: In 2007, of the 6,159 drivers aged 21-34 killed in crashes, 51% had BACs of 0.08 or higher

2. Remove Ads

It may explain some things, but from what I've seen and experienced around here, some of them could actually use a good depressant while on the road. You'd have to drive around here on a daily basis to understand what I'm saying. What you've posted is an alarming trend however. And considering around here a lot of them drive rather large SUVs, don't know what reverse means, can't see their mirrors, and act like they are going for the checkered flag at the next stop light.

Woman drivers are also twice as aggressive on the road as male drivers, and three times more likely to be involved in a traffic related confrontation. (need cite)

An thay want to take our guns!

What's funny is when you see a little woman about 4'8" climb out of a excursion,and you wonder how she can reach the pedals and see over the dash at the same time,
    "then you see one of her kids working the pedals on the floorboard"(JK)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Getting off of the phone might help some of them to drive better too. What ever happened to listening to the radio or reading a good book while you drive ?...lol. J/k !

VIP Member
    So... does that mean one sex is driving the other to drink?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    So... does that mean one sex is driving the other to drink?
    In some cases it may be the lack of sex that's driving them to something.....no pun intended (driving). I honestly don't want to see this thread go downhill for reasons of gender bias. I drive a heck of a route day in and day out with bad experiences from both genders' motor vehicle operations or lack thereof. It's just that I've seen more females with less concentration doing the act, and this has been an observation of my own for a few years now. I've actually gotten the finger from more female drivers when the male drivers just seem to shrug or ignore the situation all-together after doing something idiotic in traffic. Has anyone ever been witness to a woman driving while eating a Big Mac? It's ugly.....real ugly. The cell phone driver gals also seem to be more prevalent in my area......I mean younger to more mature women do this apparently. I know we've been down this road (again..no pun intended..road) before, but can anyone honestly tell me there isn't a trend here that's shedding some light on the female drivers of late? I don't prejudge anyone for the sake of argument, and certainly not by gender. It's become more than a nuisance..........it's become rather frightening actually. Thing about it is....my wife agrees. I trust her driving and I know she takes more responsibility than this.....unless she's in the Dodge pickup and someone wants to race. She's always serious. She observes as much as I do when I'm driving and point it out, and I'm more than happy and confident in her driving...so much so that I'd be willing to fall asleep with her at the wheel and me sight-seeing, or looking at the insides of my eyelids. Again......no gender stereotyping on my behalf. It's just local statistics in my book, and I've driven lots of miles.

Links