NC - buy more ammo, you may need it

This is a discussion on NC - buy more ammo, you may need it within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Members of the North Carolina Fraternal Order of Police say they are shocked and appalled at a state Supreme Court decision. The ...

"RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Members of the North Carolina Fraternal Order of Police say they are shocked and appalled at a state Supreme Court decision.
    The court has ruled for the early release of 20 inmates at the end of this month.
    The president of the Fraternal Order of Police calls it a dangerous decision.
    Terry Mangum worked for three decades as a Durham police officer. He says among the inmates getting out, 10 are convicted rapists and nine are convicted murderers including a woman linked to the shooting death of a state trooper.
    Story continues belowAdvertisement"There was an armed robbery, and the lady who's going to be released was with a group including two men," Mangum said, "And one of the men actually shot and killed the state trooper."
    Mangum and the governor say releasing those potentially dangerous criminals is not in the best interest of the state or citizens.
    "We just buried an officer in Winston-Salem last weekend and that was another incident where a person actually shot and killed an officer," Mangum said.
    He says he's worried about what might happen.
    "Initially I felt that the court has let me down," Mangum said. "But then, they have to deal with what they have to work with. So the issue will fall back. It may not affect these individuals, but it will fall back on the legislators."
    Mangum and the officers he represents are counting on those legislators to craft laws that could prevent the release of people the officers consider too dangerous to walk free.
    "Statistically, out of this 20, eight will be back in," Mangum said."And which eight will it be? Will that be the murderers, will that be the rapists, a combination of both? And how many victims are there going to be?"
    He says he hopes the answers to those questions won't come after more violent attacks."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I live an hour from NC. That is some crap. We have all these wackos screaming for gun control, how about some criminal control?
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Lots of places are looking to unload inmates given the current buget crisis that appears to be far from over.

Dark and dreary days are ahead folks. As crime is cyclical I foresee an upswing in crimes that have been decreasing quite recently. With that upswing will come the various do-nothing politicians further hindering the law abiding so they can say they are "doing something".

Biker

Mirroring Biker's response, but crime is already on it's way up, even without opening up the prison flood gates.

Even in my podunk town, there has been an upsurge of home invasions, armed robberies, murders, drugs, and just about every kind of crime we can think of.

Still though, I can't understand why the need to let out hardend criminals back out on the streest to ply their trade, unless the officials think they have been "rehabilitated" and won't re-offend. Budget cuts or none, they need to stay there for the good of humanity.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Mirroring Biker's response, but crime is already on it's way up, even without opening up the prison flood gates.

Even in my podunk town, there has been an upsurge of home invasions, armed robberies, murders, drugs, and just about every kind of crime we can think of.

Still though, I can't understand why the need to let out hardend criminals back out on the streest to ply their trade, unless the officials think they have been "rehabilitated" and won't re-offend. Budget cuts or none, they need to stay there for the good of humanity.
    +1 to this. well said.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

The question is why convicted violent felons like murderers and rapists are being released. Right - there's not enough money and room in prison. They're too dangerous for society. So... isn't that the purpose of capital punishment? The point is to remove them from society because they are otherwise too dangerous. If they have been convicted in a court of law, they should be removed from society permanently.

They don't have to expensive, either. There is a growing school of thought about bringing back firing squads. Sounds barbaric? Consider this: it is far quicker, more humane, and more efficient than lethal injection - not to mention far cheaper and simpler. Anyway, point is, it can be done.

Put them in tents like Sheriff Joe does out in Phoenix AZ
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    I live an hour from NC. That is some crap. We have all these wackos screaming for gun control, how about some criminal control?
    Ah but that wouldn't be politically correct. Seriously, the PC crap we've been saddled with for the last 3 decades is largely the reason it is becoming increasingly dangerous to live here. I'm with you brother. How about some criminal control.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Put them in tents like Sheriff Joe does out in Phoenix AZ
    If the United States Department of Justice has it's way Joe will be in one of those tents soon.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Good thing our company just got in with an ammo supplier. I think I'm going to order a few extra cases...YIKES!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I think what 'Ted' said, fits here..."I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

Time to get to the ammo store.

Stay armed...protect the homefront...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    If they have been convicted in a court of law, they should be removed from society permanently.

They don't have to expensive, either. There is a growing school of thought about bringing back firing squads. Sounds barbaric? Consider this: it is far quicker, more humane, and more efficient than lethal injection - not to mention far cheaper and simpler. Anyway, point is, it can be done.

I have a suggestion by which the states could actually make money on the executions.
    Ask the people to put in bids.... bids to be able to be the one to perform the state authorized legal execution of the convicted.
    Swift punishment and I'm sure there would be plenty of people that would have no problem performing the service for the state. Imagine the incarceration costs that would be saved.
    Or people could put in bids to be a member of the firing squads.
    Personally, I believe the executions should be performed with a 'guillotine'.

Just my 2 cents.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Turn off their cable!!!!!!

World is going to heck in a hand-basket.

Just for the record, the court decision that prompted these releases had nothing to do with cutting costs...

Instead, for a five or so year period in the 1970s, there was a law ont he books that said a 'life" sentence was 80 years.

An inmate serving a life sentence sued for his release, arguing that given the way time is "earned" in NC prison, he had "served" 80 years. (they get credit one day for each day served, one day for each day served without trouble and then they get "good time" credits as well,)
    Combining all these, the inmate sued. The court, looking at the law at the time, was forced to agree.
    The 20 inmates referred to in the article fall under the same law, and therefore are pending release.

This has nothing to do with budgets, and everything to do with legislators not understanding the impact of the laws they pass.

Now pass the ammunition....

Links