Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe - Bad

This is a discussion on Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe - Bad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe | Firstcoastnews.com | Top Stories JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A woman died after a gun accidentally discharged at a legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe - Bad

Thumbs down Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe - Bad

Woman Shot at Legal Gambling Cafe | Firstcoastnews.com | Top Stories

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A woman died after a gun accidentally discharged at a legal computer gambling cafe on Normandy Boulevard.

Police say the woman was on a computer gambling when a man walked into the Allied Veterans of the World Inc. Police say he had a gun that he mishandled and it went off, hitting the woman in the back.

Neither the man nor the victim have been identified. Police are investigating and have not said if the man will face charges.

Stay with First Coast News and firstcoastnews.com for the latest information.
    Local news just reported that it was a FL CWP holder.

2. Remove Ads

Double screw up.

Police said the man's gun was mishandled or dropped and discharged, striking a woman in the back. Witnesses said the gun fell from the man's belt.
    Signs of what is and isn't allowed inside the business are plastered all over the door. And according to those who go there often, there are more signs on the inside that say no firearms are allowed on the property.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

What firearms dropped from waist height would discharge in the first place? I sure would not want to carry that weapon in the condition that would cause it to discharge from say a three foot drop.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I don't think it fired from just being dropped (though with some firearms that could happen)...more likely he tried to catch it, and pulled the trigger in so doing.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Did anyone catch some of the comments on the second article? That one transplanted Yankee (with the comment that 80% of southerners are retards) needs some butt kicking. And another claiming that it is criminally negligent to carry with a round in the chamber!
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Did anyone catch some of the comments on the second article? That one transplanted Yankee (with the comment that 80% of southerners are retards) needs some butt kicking. And another claiming that it is criminally negligent to carry with a round in the chamber!
    For some real idiots, read comments on the St Louis Post-Dispatch news site.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Double screw up.
    Those signs don't mean a thing when it comes to Florida law, same for Georgia. Only thing a business can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse then you are trespassing. I wish more details would come out about this, at least so the rest of us would know what kind of gun it was and exactly how it fired. Don't most gun drop fire only if the gun hits barrel down? Reminds me of the guy that shot the toilet seat he was sitting on. That could have very easily ended the same way. I'm sure this guy faces jail time and a lifetime of nigthmares. Terrible story for all involved. This is a reminder of the enormous amount of responsiblity involved with concealed carry.

Concealed guns in holsters cannot go off...just another 'maroooon' who now has some GIANT problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Concealed guns in holsters cannot go off...just another 'maroooon' who now has some GIANT problems.
    With auto loading pistols the hammer, striker, firing pin, etc. is cocked so if whatever is holding it back breaks or is worn and just turns loose from being jostled the gun will fire if there is a cartridge in the chamber. Most safeties only block the trigger and not the firing pin. So what is there about a holster that will keep the firing pin from from falling. Larry

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old south View Post
    Most safeties only block the trigger and not the firing pin. So what is there about a holster that will keep the firing pin from from falling.
    Really? Every gun I have as well as most I have seen other people use have some combination of firing pin blocks, hammer intercept notches, manual safeties, trigger safeties, grip safeties... What the holster does is prevent the trigger from getting pulled. It also prevents you from dropping the gun and having an inertia discharge.

Oh, and plenty of people carry DA/SA or DAO hammer-fired guns that do not pre-stress the firing pin until the trigger is pulled on the first DA stroke.

You want to find me any evidence---any evidence whatsoever---of a firing pin/striker spontaneously falling on a chambered round?

Now the real question I have is this: of course the gun was mis-handled...but what was he doing handling at all in the first place???
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I hate to read about someone getting killed because someone else was being stupid. This is the kind of stuff that makes it appear to some that guns are dangerous, some people will not even think that it was because someone caused it to happen. They'll just blame the dangerous gun that spontaneously went off. Besides the damage to our cause, a woman lost the only thing we really "have" when it's all said and done, our lives.

VIP Member
    Not the kind of irresponsible CCW press we need... thanks Mr. Moron! Getting an innocent woman killed isn't the only thing your stupidity has done!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    It is sad, but how many times a day do people "mishandle" vehicles and kill people?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old south View Post
    Most safeties only block the trigger and not the firing pin.
    On much older semi-autos, perhaps, but not on much of anything new. All of my Sigs; Beretta's; S&W 3rd Gens; etc have integral firing pin blocks.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links