Has any member of CombatCarry ever had to shoot someone in self-defense?

This is a discussion on Has any member of CombatCarry ever had to shoot someone in self-defense? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am asking this question because as we all post and read different threads about numerous self-defense & ccw scenarios and situations,I would like hear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has any member of CombatCarry ever had to shoot someone in self-defense?

Has any member of CombatCarry ever had to shoot someone in self-defense?

I am asking this question because as we all post and read different threads about numerous self-defense & ccw scenarios and situations,I would like hear from any of our members who have actually been in those shoes, and hear what he/she has to say.

2. Remove Ads

erh
    Trebla - Yes; thats more than most would normally say... More than that, I will not..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Assistant Administrator
    I am pretty certain we have had this before - a similar thread.

One thing tho you will find is a natural and understandable reluctance for most folks who have been there - to really wish to discuss it, in particular on an open forum.

Many ex mil people might well answer in affirmative but certainly not wish to go into it - then too some LE or even civvy members too may have ''been there''.

Certainly there is an inquisitiveness on the subject from many - maybe leaving aside any macabre overtones - simply because we may wish to be better equipped mentally should we have to go thru it.

Do not tho be surprised or upset if responses are few - that would be nothing against you or the question per se - simply as I said, a natural reluctance for most.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry: If there isn't alot of indepth responses I won't be upset because I understand how touchy the subject is. I asked the question out of intellectual curiousity, but deep down inside I knew that there would be some relunctancy to share information.

Administrator
    I would probably not expect too many answers to your question.
    I can understand your interest though and it is a valid question.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    If you do some searches you may find some references to people using their gun during a situation, but I can't remember many people giving many details unless it did not come to an actual shooting....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

This might be better as a poll
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yes, and not always defensively... but every engagement also took place in Iraq or Kuwait.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

1952 - 2006
    Trebla if you link to this you will find a thread on this very subject that I started back in March of last year.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=2238
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Twice not including combat.
    No, I won't discuss it. Not because it bothers me but because I get flamed by a lot of people who think they know better.
    Suffice to say I'm of the camp that believes that if you draw it , you shoot it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I was going to ask this same question but was worried about what types of answers I would get and did not want to make anyone mad. I am glad that someone else had guts to ask it. Thanks.

Yep, I agree! my dad was in WW-II and the Korean war and NEVER says a word about it, NEVER. I have no Idea if he had to kill anyone, if he did or didn't or anything. All medals are put up and I have only seen them once when I was younger and playing in the basement and came across them and he briefly explained what they were and were put away. He was in the Navy and then the Airforce and I don't even know what rank he was in either of them. I do know he was an officer in the Airforce but that's it.

Sometimes I don't understand this because I have many questions that I want to ask him but I do respect why he doesn't want to talk about it and leave it at that.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Yep, I agree! my dad was in WW-II and the Korean war and NEVER says a word about it, NEVER.
    Mine was WWII, and likewise. Nada, Never.

All of the old guys that served in WWII that he was around in his last year were like that. The administrator at the facility he was at told me the old vets just sat together quietly, rarely talked, and the only reason he knew they'd served in WWII was family had told him.

They were like that. They did a job, came home, and raised families in America. That's the end of the story. A bad chapter in history books they never wanted to remember again.

Sorry. I just drifted off into memories.

1952 - 2006
    You guys need to stop with the personal displays of animosity towards each other.

I see nothing wrong in FS10mm first post but trebla, your post is out of line IMO. Please tone it down before us moderators have to take action.

Thank you.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Answers you will problably get:

1) A topic someone does not want to talk about. Combat otherwise, very few people hang their kills like badges on their chest. I am the only one at my school that know the reason my advisor left LE is because she had to shoot someone to protect her life. Someone pulled a gun on her and she shot and killed him. Guess what. He was 7 years old. I tell you what, she isn't proud of it. She is very, very choosy about who gets to hear it.

2) It never happened to me nor anyone I know. Mostly truth, somewhat lie. Usually this event is private.

3) Yes and I don't want to talk about it. People who have been there, did what they had to do, and keep it hidden. These people have my utmost respect.

OK...enough quoting the "Twiddle The Middle" Comment. Thanks!..Edited out by QKShooter

The humble combat vets are the ones I really respect. There was a 18 year old Army MP that came back from the Sandbox to get a CJ degree at Green Bay. He saw combat. That is all that he ever said about it. Got a chilling moment in class when some dumb chick called him on it and said he was lying. He calmly stood up, lifted his shirt, showing 17 GSWs and said, "Yeah, b****, I saw combat." He has more respect from me than my cousin does.

You want some gritty Hollywood excitement, you aren't going to get it.

Edited out by QKShooter...pure speculation on the part of the original writer. Mild back door slap to the author of this thread. The author of this thread asked a specific question. He did NOT ask for personal opinions of the sort of people that ask the question...off topic.

They remind me of myself when I was young and dumb. People that think killing another human is cool, exciting, and makes them feel good. Now I am at the total opposite end of the spectrum.

You want a story. Fine. Go to GT and look up one of RoadRep's posts. He tells his story. Three BGs, three shots each, $18K in fees and costs. That works out to $2K a bullet. If that is your thing, go for it. If you are wondering what will happen to you after you are in a SD shooting, if you ever are, it might be up your alley. Good luck.

I doubt you will get much response from those who have had to take a human life, be it combat or self defense.
    Everyone deals with things differently. Not everyone is wired the same for sure. Your cousin while not very politically correct or even tasteful for that matter had to do something that most will never be forced to do. You should at least overlook his lack of tact for doing what mattered most in a situation like that, coming back home.

Just because most of a certain group do something one way doesn't automatically make it right for that matter either. Lots of American colonials sided with the British in the War of Independance, but thankfully a bunch didn't. I'm not saying it's right to brag about what happens in a combat zone (defensive shooting or whatever), but it's not our right to judge how they deal with the situation I don't think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links