UGLY - Batallion Chief shoots self while reholstering...

This is a discussion on UGLY - Batallion Chief shoots self while reholstering... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police battalion chief hurt in shooting accident : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News “He finished up and quickly holstered his weapon,” Preisch said. “It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Police battalion chief hurt in shooting accident : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News

“He finished up and quickly holstered his weapon,” Preisch said. “It was as he reholstered the gun that it got in the way and it fired down his right thigh. What likely happened is that he probably still had his finger on the trigger.”

Even old pros sometimes make mistakes. It is always important to keep your booger hook off the bang switch!

Another cop leg shot by a Glock. I had my suspicions when I read the post, but I followed the link to the story and confirmed it.

Not condemning Glocks - I own one - but the number of leg shots involving Glocks on reholstering suggests that an element of training is missing.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    There is a thread somewhere on warriortalk.com (Gabe Suarez's site) that discusses the idea of training to reholster quickly being a problem, that there is normally NO NEED to holster your weapon quickly yet some people train others to do so. Take your time, it might save your leg or your life.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    It has always seemed like common sense to reholster slowly. If I am in a hurry for my gun, it will be during the draw. After the situation, I should have all the time in the world to reholster at a safe speed.

Maybe some of the high level operators can explain the value of this speed-reholstering technique for us.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

gotta be able to catch the donut you were eating prior to shooting before it hits the ground
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Another cop leg shot by a Glock. I had my suspicions when I read the post, but I followed the link to the story and confirmed it.

Not condemning Glocks - I own one - but the number of leg shots involving Glocks on reholstering suggests that an element of training is missing.
    I agree that an element of training is missing plus an element of knowledge. If you must carry a so called DA auto get a real DA auto that has an outside hammer. In the early 60's when I thought a 9 m/m was a good cartridge I carried a P38. It takes a complete trigger pull to work the hammer just like a revolver. If the cartridge doesn't fire just pull the trigger again and the hammer rolls back for another try at the cartridge. I dropped it one time and it landed on the hammer and didn't go off so I decided it was as safe and simple to carry as a revolver. Just load and pull the trigger. The P38 is the only DA auto I have experience with but there may be others that work the same way. Larry

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    It has always seemed like common sense to reholster slowly. If I am in a hurry for my gun, it will be during the draw. After the situation, I should have all the time in the world to reholster at a safe speed.

Maybe some of the high level operators can explain the value of this speed-reholstering technique for us.
    +1 No need to hurry the reholster.

These stories serve as a good reminder to us all. That Glock trigger safety is not a safety at all if your finger is still on the trigger.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This goes right back to muzzle control. If the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction, nobody would incur a gun shot wound. Complacency at it's finest.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quickly re-holstering is a no-no. Hard to think of a good reason for doing it unless you start dreaming up outlandish scenarios. Certainly never in a training environment.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    [I]“He finished up and quickly holstered his weapon,” Preisch said. “It was as he reholstered the gun that it got in the way :
    The gun got in the way of itself?

To quote Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in 'Aliens', "Have IQs dropped sharply since I've been gone?"

And yes I agree probably had finger on trigger. One of my security officers did this one day right before I got to the office. Bullet went through the floor and into the downstairs doctor's office, luckily no one was hit.

One of the few things that bothers me about being armed is that most of my holsters cant inward, so that if I were to make that mistake, I would shoot myself in the leg.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My EDC is a Glock, and when I reholster, I take my time. I think about two things as I reholster 'slowly'...finger and shirt...nothing blocking the trigger or holster area...no need to rush.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    Quickly re-holstering is a no-no. Hard to think of a good reason for doing it unless you start dreaming up outlandish scenarios. Certainly never in a training environment.
    I'm currently attending a Reserve Officer's academy, and our instructors have us quickly reholstering our firearms. The purpose of course, is not to teach us to reholster quickly, but for the sake of expediency: you can't move the line back or have people going forward to score targets while unholstered weapons are on the line.

Of course, training this way isn't necessarily a bad thing since basic marksmanship doesn't involve terribly realistic scenarios. Unfortunately, if that is the only training you've been exposed to, there is a significant risk of a problem such as described in this story.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    NEVER holster quickly... NEVER!

When I holster it is dramatically slow every single time. I get razzed a bit by friends who say I go in to slow motion as my weapon reaches just above my holster. That's how I was trained and it's served me very well.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

socal2310 nailed it from what I have been around at times. Some instructors/rangemasters are in such a great big hurry to get done that they neglect to slowly, carefully and reluctantly holster. Do not let these unsafe persons get you into a dangerous habit. Be safe first and formost.
    If there is no threat out there, what's the rush. If there is still a threat out there, simple, do not reholster.

As my buddy's grandfather used to say, "go fast, do lots of damage. go slow, do little damage". I've found this has numerous applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links