Good: Woman, 70, Fatally Shoots Alleged Hotel Robber

This is a discussion on Good: Woman, 70, Fatally Shoots Alleged Hotel Robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In my backyard, and old stomping grounds. COLUMBUS, Ohio An alleged robber was shot and killed Wednesday night by a 70-year-old woman at a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Woman, 70, Fatally Shoots Alleged Hotel Robber

Good: Woman, 70, Fatally Shoots Alleged Hotel Robber

In my backyard, and old stomping grounds.

COLUMBUS, Ohio An alleged robber was shot and killed Wednesday night by a 70-year-old woman at a north side hotel, police said.

The shooting occurred at about 9 p.m. outside the Continent Inn, located on Zumstein Drive near state Route 161 and Interstate 71, 10TV News reported.

According to police, a 70-year-old woman staying in first floor hotel room opened her door for air when a man armed with a gun barged inside.

SLIDESHOW: Images From Scene

The woman then pulled out her own gun and shot the man, who stumbled into the parking lot and died from his wounds, 10TV News reported.

No other injuries were reported.

The alleged robber's identity was not immediately released by authorities.

Police said the shooting appeared to be justified, although the case would likely be presented to a Franklin County grand jury for review.

Woman, 70, Fatally Shoots Alleged Hotel Robber | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio's News Leader

I know the area well. It used to be fairly nice, but really, thats matters naught.

2. Remove Ads

Pistol packin granny... I love it! Good for her. Another loser dies in the parking lot, Great! Just as it should end...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Good for her! I wish these types of stories would make the national media more often.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post
    Good for her! I wish these types of stories would make the national media more often.
    Well, it changed the mind of one fellow, shown on the video at that site. He said he "didn't believe in guns", but that he planned to get one now, as "you never know when you're going to get robbed". Nothing like a little reality breaking in to break up that brainwashing.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I love it when the BG dies in the parking lot. It's one of my favorite endings!

That poor SOB thought he was gonna have an easy target. Instead, he ended up a target...for a 70 year old's gun. Good ending.

It just does not get better than this.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

You go Granny......
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The area is kinda decent, IIRC from my college days. The American Quarter Horse Congress is going on there right now, and brings a lot of people in from all over, and with events like that there is usually a criminal element that comes along to prey on the visitors.

Good job on her part though, from what the story says I would bet even in a more liberal area like C-bus, there shouldn't be charges filed after the grand jury.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well then, that appeared to have been a bad choice for the BG. You live, you learn!

Well, maybe not always the first part ;)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The area is kinda decent, IIRC from my college days. The American Quarter Horse Congress is going on there right now, and brings a lot of people in from all over, and with events like that there is usually a criminal element that comes along to prey on the visitors.

Good job on her part though, from what the story says I would bet even in a more liberal area like C-bus, there shouldn't be charges filed after the grand jury.
    The area has gone down, lots of hookers and drug users and dealers hang out in this area, some of the Craigslist hookers use this motel actually, several been busted. Its said that this area is like this, the Continent use to be the place to go, but it lost is place to the elements of time and the fact that the criminal element has moved in. Also alot of illegals.

Just to update on this story:

Woman, 70, who killed intruder at motel feels sick about shooting | The Columbus Dispatch

quarter horse congress visitor
    Woman, 70, who killed intruder at motel feels sick about shooting
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:27 AM
    Updated: Thursday, October 22, 2009 02:03 PM
    By John Futty
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Police investigate last night's shooting.
    WBNS | 10TV
    Police investigate last night's shooting.

The 70-year-old woman who shot a would-be robber at a North Side motel last night is attending the All-American Quarter Horse Congress today and feels sick about the shooting, according to her son.

Columbus police say the shooting occurred about 9:15 p.m. at the Continent Inn, 6225 Zumstein Dr., located at The Continent shopping center, off Rt. 161 near I-71.

Sgt. Eric Pilya of the homicide squad said the woman was in a motel room with four or five others and they'd cracked open the door to get fresh air. Pilya said a man barged into the room, demanding money from those inside.

Police said the woman, from southern Ohio, grabbed a gun that she had in the room and shot Wayne Winston, 25, of Columbus, who staggered into the parking lot of the motel and died.
    Story continues below
    Advertisement

Police have not released the name of the woman who shot Winston.

Her son, who spoke this morning on the condition that his name and his mom's name not be used, said his mother is torn up about the shooting and has felt sick since it occurred.

No charges had been filed. Pilya said it's likely that the case will be presented to a Franklin County grand jury to see whether the woman should be charged.

Meena Patel, a clerk at the Continent Inn, said the shooting occurred in Room 111, which was booked to a man and woman.

The woman has since moved to another room in the motel. Her son said she has a concealed carry permit.

The annual All-American Quarter Horse Congress is in its third week at the state fairgrounds and ends Sunday. It is the world's largest single-breed horse show and attracts more than 600,000 people to Columbus each year.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Now that's more like it! The last "old lady" prayed for the BG... there's plenty of time for that AFTER he has been stopped!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member

good job shout out goes to the granny

and to the dirtbag.....
    the was waiting outside of room 111
    have a good dirtnap
    somebody is waiting for you
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    He shoul have rethought is career choice a bit sooner.

There are a lot of pistol packing seniors running around. We are getting to old to fight you, so we will just have to shoot you. And we are pretty good shots!.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

That was then. I also recall it being one of the nicer areas.

but...like justherenow mentions...

Not now. It is just north of one of the worst areas in the entire city. And I do mean this statistically, as well as any other way you wanna hash it. My wife and I were both shot at, and she was hit, not 2-3 miles from the Continent in '04. The St Andrews church, over on 161 about a mile away, right near the Knights inn, is a common place to find hookers walking around looking for johns. and lastly, it has a large Hispanic (and probably largly) illegal population just south of the Continent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links