Cooperated with the jackers and killed in front of wife

This is a discussion on Cooperated with the jackers and killed in front of wife within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "He just wanted everyone to live life to the fullest and to reach an elder age..." according to his son. All of us know what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooperated with the jackers and killed in front of wife

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Cooperated with the jackers and killed in front of wife

"He just wanted everyone to live life to the fullest and to reach an elder age..." according to his son.
    All of us know what is necessary to help achieve that goal.

Velda City man killed in bungled carjacking, police say - STLtoday.com

Velda City man killed in bungled carjacking, police say
    BY PATRICK M. O'CONNELL
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/24/2009

VELDA CITY — Booker Washington was a family man who loved rollerskating and volunteering at his church.

He also happened to drive an expensive SUV, which police said was the apparent target of a bloody, bungled carjacking by two gunmen. Washington was killed in front of his wife as the couple returned home from St. Louis on Thursday night, police said.

Washington, 65, died at the scene just a few houses from his own shortly after the 11 p.m. shooting in the 6900 block of Edison Avenue. Washington's wife, Freddie, was robbed of her purse at gunpoint but was not physically hurt, police and family members said.

Investigators are looking for the two gunmen, who left the scene in a dark-colored vehicle. Police are examining the Washingtons' Infiniti SUV for evidence.

Investigators said the couple had cooperated with the gunmen. Freddie told police that her husband had put his hands in the air moments before he was shot.

"They were driving a nice vehicle and coming from a bad part of town, headed home, and the suspects were just looking for a nice car to steal," St. Louis County police spokesman Sgt. Norman Mann said. "The big question is why did (the suspects) shoot if they were cooperating."

Among the possible reasons, Mann said, are that the gunmen were startled by a passer-by or that one of the guns accidentally discharged.

Booker Washington was a retired assembly worker at Wagner Electric, said his oldest son, Juan. "He just wanted everyone to live life to the fullest and to reach an elder age," Juan Washington said Friday morning in the living room of his father's home, where loved ones cooked food and gathered in support. "He just loved his family and friends."

Juan Washington said Freddie Washington is doing as well as expected considering the circumstances.

"It's still like a nightmare to me," Juan Washington said. "I haven't even woken up from it."

Booker Washington was well-liked and respected by neighbors on the block of brick homes and tidy, well-kept yards in Velda City. The neighborhood is south of Natural Bridge Road, a few blocks east of Lucas and Hunt Road.

Juan Washington believes the targeting of his father and stepmother was a crime of opportunity for two would-be car thieves on a dark, rainy night.

Booker Washington was on the usher board at Leonard Baptist Church at 1100 North Compton Avenue in St. Louis. He especially enjoyed Wednesday night rollerskating at the Skate King in Pine Lawn, his son said.

Booker Washington also leaves behind two other sons, Darren and Angelo, and several grandchildren, nieces and nephews. The family has not yet arranged funeral or memorial services. Anyone with information about the shooting or the suspects should contact St. Louis County police Detective John Bradley at 314-615-8626, Sgt. Craig Longworth at 314-615-8609 or CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-8477.

2. Remove Ads

This is a perfect example of why one should react instantly and violently in a similar situation. Even if I 'lose' (and I'm not planning on it), I won't end up any worse...possibly much better. OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"The big question is why did (the suspects) shoot if they were cooperating."

Among the possible reasons, Mann said, are that the gunmen were startled by a passer-by or that one of the guns accidentally discharged.
    How about this for an explanation:

They were POS's who killed for the thrill of it?
    They were high, or they don't give a about the sacredness of human life because they only care about themselves?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Accidentally discharged my arse.

Want to bet these two had been rehabilitated several times each already ?
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

They were high, or they don't give a about the sacredness of human life because they only care about themselves?
    +1

Though it should not matter why, it happened and they too should be put to death for it. If you point a loaded gun at someone during the commission of a crime even the unintended death of the victim should be cause for the death penalty.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

"The big question is why did (the suspects) shoot if they were cooperating."
    Why? Because they are criminals who are engaging in violent acts against others. Because they're predisposed to other, similar actions. Because there's nothing to stop them from doing so, other than lack of the "sheer pleasure" they'll get from doing it.

Why is it this is so difficult to understand, for some folks?

What does it really matter, as if delving into the minds of these specific perpetrators is going to divulge any wonderful insights into the minds of other criminals?

It only matters that it can easily happen. How easily? As simply as it did in this case.

Of course, in this case about the only thing that would or could help at that exact instant would have been if one of the potential victims had taken firm steps dissuade them, right then and there, explosively and violently, helping them to see the error of their thinking.

I'm not suggesting anything about any other situation but this one. As is clear from the result, in this case the only remaining option they had was to resist violently and utterly. They simply didn't realize it at the time. And let that be the lesson we all take away from today's discussion: you'll never know for certain what the criminals might do, but it's clear that some are quite willing to do anything.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    the only cooperation they should have got was the free gift of lead to their face

dirtbag scum of the earth pieces of garbage need to be hunted down and killed like a rabid animal
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is a perfect example of why one should react instantly and violently in a similar situation. Even if I 'lose' (and I'm not planning on it), I won't end up any worse...possibly much better. OMOYMV
    ++1
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

I hate hearing about stuff like this. Stirs my innermost hostilities. There are no white flags in this game, and no taking prisoners. Be ready, play to win...survive, and when the opportunity presents itself to rid the world of another violent criminal, we're all counting on you! Don't be a statistic.

What a pity.....

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

that you are so unenlightened. You will most probably never reach enlightened, elite intellectualist status. You must be a simple, redneck, gun nut! Education and understanding is what these two misguided citizens are yearning for!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

pax
    Throwing yourself on the mercy of the merciless is a bad survival plan. Despite the apparent puzzlement in the news report, it isn't surprising when that doesn't work out; it's shocking when it does.

Sympathy to the victim and his family ... what a horrible situation!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I hate hearing about stuff like this. Stirs my innermost hostilities. There are no white flags in this game, and no taking prisoners. Be ready, play to win...survive, and when the opportunity presents itself to rid the world of another violent criminal, we're all counting on you! Don't be a statistic.
    All I can add is that your vehicle makes quite a weapon if needed! Use it!!!!!!

1. Why do you stop?
    2. Why do you stay there?

It's harder to hit a moving target and you may take one with you. Before I carried a gun I realized a gun was only a marginal weapon against a vehicle. Hate to see this stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Right on. I decided long ago that my default mindset would be violent opposition.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    +1. To cooperate is to be a victim. I would rather die fighting than cooperating.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links