Baltimore: Off duty LEO draws in haunted house

This is a discussion on Baltimore: Off duty LEO draws in haunted house within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seasonally appropriate: LiveLeak.com - Officer accused of pointing gun at 'House of Screams' character Off-duty city officer charged with assault in incident involving killer from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore: Off duty LEO draws in haunted house

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Seasonally appropriate:

LiveLeak.com - Officer accused of pointing gun at 'House of Screams' character

Off-duty city officer charged with assault in incident involving killer from Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie

By Peter Hermann
    Baltimore Sun reporter
    4:08 p.m. EDT, October 26, 2009

The haunted house in Essex is billed "The House of Screams," but it was the character of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre killer who ended up frightened when authorities say an off-duty Baltimore police officer pulle More..d his gun and pointed it at the actor during a skit at the Eastpoint Mall.

Baltimore County police officers arrested Southeastern District Sgt. Eric Michael Janik, 36, and charged him early Monday with first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. He was released on $25,000 bail and suspended by the Baltimore Police Department.

"I've never had anything like this happen to me," said Michael Brian Morrison, a 32-year-old contractor who helps run the privately owned haunted house and played the part of "Leatherface." The owners rent space from the Baltimore County mall on Eastern Avenue and attract 1,500 to 3,000 people a night.

Morrison is at the end of the haunted house tour and threatens people with a chainsaw that has its sharp chain removed. He chases people outside for "one last scream." He said Janik's group, which went through Sunday a little after 10 p.m. and included a female city police officer and the sergeant's 9-year-old daughter, were rowdy.

He said the sergeant held his screaming daughter close to scary characters and that when it came time to give chase, "I went after the adults" because the girl was crying.

A Baltimore County police report says Morrison approached Janik while he revved the gas-powered saw and when he got three to four feet from him, "Janik pointed a black handgun as his chest."

Morrison said he put his hands in the air and the police report says Janik stated, "It's o.k. I'm a cop." He said the officer's daughter was tugging the sleeve of the arm holding the gun and that after he put the weapon away, the sergeant approached him to shake his hand.

The report says the officer went back to his car, where a county officer first encountered him sitting in the front passenger seat. Janik rolled down the window and the officer noted in the report that "a strong odor of alcohol" could be detected. The report says that both Janik and the other officer in the car, Lisa Michelle Hinkley, showed their city police badges.

"When asked if he had at any time pulled his handgun out of its holster for any reason while attending the haunted house, Defendant Janik stated 'no,'" the police report says. Janik told the officer that his daughter "may have pulled on his shirt and accidentally showed it."

But police said they interviewed witnesses, including a tour guide and another worker, who said the sergeant pointed the gun at Morrison's chest. Police said they returned to Janik and wrote in a report that he "changed his version of events and stated that he did pull his weapon out and pointed it at the ground." He told the officer that Morrison "did not stop advancing toward him" and that while he knew it was part of the show, he pulled his gun "to stop him."

Police said in the report that the green Carlton chain saw "did not cause a threat of bodily harm." The report also says that Janik had slurred speech, but they did not administer a breath test.

Janik, reached by telephone at his home, declined to comment. His attorney with the city Fraternal Order of Police union, Shaun Owens, also declined comment.

Baltimore police chief spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Janik could be suspended without pay at a formal hearing later this week.

"These allegations are incredibly concerning and we are committed to holding our officers accountable," Guglielmi said. "We won't tolerate any behavior that undermines the integrity of the agency and the hard work of our police officers."

Morrison said that the haunted house opens again Wednesday and that he'll be back in his familiar role. "I'll probably be a bit more leery," he said.
    Drinking while carrying is never a smart move. Even if you are LEO.

Drawing on a chainsaw guy in a haunted house? He must have been really scary! You can't make this stuff up.

If he has a smart lawyer there are some interesting angles to play here...

Stupid is as stupid does.

VIP Member
    First thing we learned in the Academy was alcohol, guns and badges don't mix... Combining the first two will cost you the third.

With outside witnesses, smell of alcohol, slurred speech and changing his story, being mentioned in the report, he's done. Not much his attorney can do with this. As an LEO, he's held to a higher standard of conduct, than a private citizen, as he should be.

If he's lucky, he'll be able to work out some sort of plea deal... Maybe give up his badge, his LEO license, and take probation, to stay out of prison. That would be the best he could hope for...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A 'marooon' with a badge, or at least he used to have one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And he lied about it to boot..... Hummmm, just goofy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Kiss your career, your pension, possibly your freedom, and likely your bank account goodbye, jackass. Stupid games earn stupid prizes. You deserve whatever (and probably more than) you get.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    I'll bet he got slammed not for drawing the gun....but for lying about it and trying to cover it up.

He could have just said that his training caused him to draw and left it at that, instead he lied about it and that is going to get him fired or severely disciplined.

Lying,alcohol and poor judgement can equal no job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Yup, the alcohol factor is what could get him. But it won't. The lie could too, but it won't. It would be very easy to handle this case as a defense attorney or union rep.

If the story is correct, he will get an in house punishment and thats about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I really feel bad for his 9 year old daughter...

"He said the sergeant held his screaming daughter close to scary characters and that when it came time to give chase, "I went after the adults" because the girl was crying."

Then the drunken jerk pulls his gun when he get's scared. If he was in the military, it would be blanket-party time.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, the alcohol factor is what could get him. But it won't. The lie could too, but it won't. It would be very easy to handle this case as a defense attorney or union rep.

If the story is correct, he will get an in house punishment and thats about it.

Unfortunately...I agree. Probably will remain suspended until the news coverage stops then it will be handled in house, and life will go on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    I guess that depends on the dept. Around here, you can get by with a lot of crap, but lying will get you fired. Once you lose credibility, its over.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I guess that depends on the dept. Around here, you can get by with a lot of crap, but lying will get you fired. Once you lose credibility, its over.
    I agree, as an LEO, credibility is everything.

BUT, whom did he lie too? Does he not have the right to not incriminate himself? He lied to an investigating officer from another department. The responding officer has investigating a criminal action. The suspect (Sgt.) has no obligation to tell the truth. Does it make it right? No, of course not. However, he still enjoys the same rights protected under the Constitution like anyone else.

Now, if he lies during the internal, that is another story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree, as an LEO, credibility is everything.

BUT, whom did he lie too? Does he not have the right to not incriminate himself? He lied to an investigating officer from another department. The responding officer has investigating a criminal action. The suspect (Sgt.) has no obligation to tell the truth. Does it make it right? No, of course not. However, he still enjoys the same rights protected under the Constitution like anyone else.

Now, if he lies during the internal, that is another story.
    He has no obligation to tell the truth to the extent that he cannot be compelled to make a statement.

However, if he elects to make a statement, and that statement is false, he can be charged with making a false statement to the police.

There is no Constitutional right to give false testimony, only to remain silent.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    He has no obligation to tell the truth to the extent that he cannot be compelled to make a statement.

However, if he elects to make a statement, and that statement is false, he can be charged with making a false statement to the police.

There is no Constitutional right to give false testimony, only to remain silent.

Matt
    Not entirely true. Making false statements would be in the context of telling a false name etc., or altering an investigation he is not implicated in. Telling them there was a one armed man that pointed the gun would be a false statement, because he is implicating someone else, fictional or not. Simply telling his version of events is not making a false statement. I'm sure at some point in time his gun was pointed at the ground during the altercation.

And its not testimony until he is under oath and sworn in a court of law.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Or saying "he only saw my gun on my hip" when he had in fact drawn it.

It's not sworn, but it is a false statement to a police officer. He's in effect claiming that the complainant has filed a false report.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links