Armed Security

Armed Security

This is a discussion on Armed Security within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Security guard shoots backseat intruder in SW Houston Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Oct. 27, 2009, 6:09AMShare Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponA security guard on his way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armed Security

Armed Security

Security guard shoots backseat intruder in SW Houston
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Oct. 27, 2009, 6:09AMShare
    Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponA security guard on his way to work early this morning surprised to see an unwelcome pair of eyes staring back at him through his rearview mirror shot and wounded the intruder, police said.

Miguel Anaya said he went out to his apartment parking lot near the intersection of Clarewood and Alder in southwest Houston and noticed a man loitering. He went back into this home to get a flashlight, but the man was gone when Anaya returned outside.

Anaya then got in his SUV and began driving when he saw a backseat intruder in his mirror. Anaya said he slammed on the brakes and the stranger made a run for it, but he chase him down, began wrestling and shot him in the leg after he felt something in his pocket he feared was a weapon.

The stranger was taken to a hospital and his condition was not known. No other

hmm.....
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

looks like a bad shoot coming soon, charges to follow.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

but he chase him down
    Bad idea - bad shoot. You can NOT jump out of the boat and chase the sharks!

Should NOT have chased him. Let the fool run. If he returns armed... warn him! If he continues to brandish the weapon THEN shoot him.

VIP Member
    I think the security guy is in deep doo doo!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't think there is anything in Texas Law that will save his bacon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I think the security guy is in deep doo doo!
    Ditto.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Getting into his car without checking his back seat was big mistake #1, and chasing the fleeing dirtbag was big mistake #2. Now he shoots the guy...not good at all.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Anaya said he slammed on the brakes and the stranger made a run for it
    The threat is gone, conflict is over. Drive away and call the police and file a report. I can see Anaya facing some type of criminal charge.

Shark

I think we’re for getting here that this guy was security. The story doesn’t state whether or not he was on duty he may have felt that he had a duty to detain the guy. I'm not saying that it was the best decision, I'm just wondering about the factors involved in the decision

Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    I think we’re for getting here that this guy was security. The story doesn’t state whether or not he was on duty he may have felt that he had a duty to detain the guy. I'm not saying that it was the best decision, I'm just wondering about the factors involved in the decision
    Lethal force to detain? Yeah, I guess that's one way to stop the guy....

You're right though, we don't have all the facts, but I'd say, if the BG didn't have a weapon lethal force shouldn't have been used. I think I read that the guy thought he felt a gun in the guys pocket and thats why he fired on him... The word thought IMO is the bullet for the BG against the security guard. I hope not, but that's what happens when someone makes a bad call with a firearm. Just sayin.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    Being as in employment as a _private_ security detail for a company does _not_ imbue one with police powers.
    Same as having a gun on hand or having a carry license does not.

The security officer was no more lawfully allowed to detain anyone than you or I am.
    If he thought he had a duty to do so then he thought wrong.

As per the law he has a duty to _know_ as well as obey and adhere to the laws.
    Further as a son if not husband and/or father he has a duty to think twice because you only get one chance to act. No take backs and do overs.
    My mom, wife, and kids would be sad and pissed if I did same only to wind up tangling with this dude and get stabbed/shot and/or myself found guilty of a crime and placed into prison away for years or decades at end.
    Security guards are not law enforcement officers, and they know this...or rather should.

Let the guy run, close your open car door, drive away and dial 911 on the everybody has one these days cellphone while if possible as in the _locked_ and buttoned up car drive around to follow the BG and provide 911 real time info.
    Wait for the real law enforcement agents with badges and cars that say 'POLICE" rather than 'Security' to arrive and get involved in apprehension, take downs and detention if not arrest.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The story doesn’t state whether or not he was on duty he may have felt that he had a duty to detain the guy.
    I've been an armed private security officer. I assure you, unless he held a commission for another, wider-ranging agency County Constable, Sheriff Deputy, City LEO, etc.), his authority stops when he is off duty and off the property he's assigned to. Some agencies won't even let their guards carry their duty weapon on their person off site.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Getting into his car without checking his back seat was big mistake #1
    It was an SUV. Kinda hard to do that, especially when you're not tall -- as most Hispanics are not. Nor am I. I wouldn't be able to do that.

Agreed that the guy shouldn't have run after his intruder.

But dayum... that's about 10 minutes from me. I used to live in that area. It's not a good place to be, especially when it's dark.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links