Daughter Pays $5000 to put a Hit on her Mother.

This is a discussion on Daughter Pays $5000 to put a Hit on her Mother. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went to school with this girl. http://www.ohio.com/news/66282832.html Kristie Marks drove into the housing projects of Akron believing she was doing what she's done so ...

Thread: Daughter Pays $5000 to put a Hit on her Mother.

I went to school with this girl.

http://www.ohio.com/news/66282832.html

Kristie Marks drove into the housing projects of Akron believing she was doing what she's done so often — helping her daughter out of a jam.

The well-to-do Copley businesswoman, who raised her child alone since her husband's death, could not have known her motherly act was just her role in a deadly plot.

In an instant, a knife was plunged inside her.

Her daughter, 20-year-old Taylor Marks, saw it all and frantically placed a 911 call from the parking lot, tearfully telling a dispatcher of the crime and the assailant who ran off into the darkness.

Hours later, police say Taylor Marks was telling a different story to Akron detectives — one in which she admits luring her mother to the Springdale Street apartment complex on Saturday so that a friend could kill and she could collect a tidy inheritance.

''More or less, it comes down to money,'' police detective James Pasheilich said Monday.

Taylor Marks, her boyfriend, Brian S. Smith, 20, and their friend, Troy Purdie II, 19, are each charged with complicity to aggravated murder. They remain in the Summit County Jail.

Police say Marks lived with Smith and his mother in the subsidized apartment complex in North Hill. The two, detectives say, plotted with Purdie to kill
    Kristie Marks, 58. Purdie was to be paid $5,000 for his efforts.

Their plot worked — for a couple of hours. Pasheilich said the three were questioned separately at the department and gave conflicting accounts of the stabbing.

Before midnight, all three conceded their plan, he said.

''They were talking about [killing Marks] for a while,'' Pasheilich said. ''These three admit that they had spoken and talked numerous times about doing this.

''[Taylor] Marks admitted that she was upset with her mother [and] wanted her mother dead. She mentioned that her mom has money and has a will and that she believes that her name's on the will because she saw it.''

Evidence found

Police say they have recovered Purdie's bloody clothing and a knife they say was used in the slaying.

Kristie Marks co-owned a Visiting Angels home health-care franchise in Medina. She also inherited money after the death of her husband, Bruce, in 2002, a family member said.

County property records show a trust in her name as the owner of a Copley Township home worth more than $300,000.

Family members and friends say Kristie Marks was well off and she doted on Taylor, a 2008 graduate of Copley High School.

''She overly loved her daughter,'' said Jeffrey Buckholder, Kristie Marks' brother, who lives in Sarasota, Fla. ''I'm not going to say she smothered her, but Taylor, I'm sure, lived well. I never would have dreamt this.''

Family history

The Marks family had traveled around the country from coast to coast for most of Taylor Marks' early years. Bruce Marks was a director at a telecommunications firm in New Jersey at the time of his death.

Kristie Marks and Taylor moved to Copley in 2003 to be closer to her family and her business partner and close friend, Gail McEnteer. The Marks family drove nice cars, owned horses and loved their three dogs.

After high school, Taylor Marks attended the University of Akron. She took classes last spring, but was not registered this semester, a UA spokeswoman said.

On her MySpace social Internet page, Taylor Marks talks about missing her father, whom she called ''Pappi,'' and boasts of having ''a loving mother'' and driving a 2006 Ford Focus.

She also talked about her future that included a husband and children and working ''in my Mom's business since she plans to give me her share of it one day after I graduate from collage! [sic]''

''Life is tough sometimes but the lessons I've learned from this are to appreciate every day, to try and focus on the positive things and to thank God everyday for the blessings He has put in my life,'' Taylor Marks wrote.

Changed relationship

Sometime in the past several months, after a falling out with her mother, Taylor Marks began dating Brian S. Smith, who lived in an Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority apartment with his mother, Tammy.

Eventually, Taylor Marks moved in with the family. Tammy Smith said Monday that she found her son's girlfriend ''a little bit whiny and spoiled.''

This month, police say the plan to kill Kristie Marks was hatched. It was supposed to appear like a random killing.

''I did not know he done this. I did not know he had this planned,'' said Tammy Smith. ''He admitted to helping his girlfriend do it. But it was her idea.''

Taylor and Kristie Marks were walking together in the parking lot when Purdie appeared and stabbed the mother, police said. He fled while Taylor Marks called 911.

''My mother has been stabbed in the parking lot,'' she said in a recorded call with a police dispatcher, '' . . . Someone just ran up behind my mom and stabbed her. . . . ''

Kristie Marks was pronounced dead at Akron City Hospital. By midnight Saturday, her daughter was in police custody facing murder charges.

Jeff Sigle, a friend of Kristie Marks, said he warned her about Taylor, her friends and the new lifestyle she was leading. He said Marks loved her daughter and would do anything for her, including venturing into Akron's rougher neighborhoods, if needed.

Sigle said he was concerned for his friend's safety because of the apparently powerful attraction that drew Taylor Marks from her suburban life.

''I kept telling Kristie to think the worse in every situation, you're being conned, you're being duped,'' he said. ''I told her to watch out for them, don't tread down there by yourself, don't go looking, don't get lured.

''For a girl who went from having everything she wants to living in that kind of situation, there's got to be a reason. It just doesn't happen and it doesn't happen overnight.''
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Wow!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Wow!

I guess she (the daughter) won't be needing much money for quite a while, now!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fry 'em all.

But that won't happen. They may go to prison for some time. There they'll learn more bad stuff. They'll eventually get out and hurt or kill someone else.

VIP Member
    This was on Fox News last night. What freaked me out was that they said that the daughter still stands to receive the inheritance, even if (when) she's found to be guilty of her mom's murder!? Apparently inheritance law in some states goes strictly by the 'will' and how it was last written/amended? This just seems unbelievable. Surely this loop-hole was addressed previously?

Jeff Sigle, a friend of Kristie Marks, said he warned her about Taylor, her friends and the new lifestyle she was leading. He said Marks loved her daughter and would do anything for her, including venturing into Akron's rougher neighborhoods, if needed.

Sigle said he was concerned for his friend's safety because of the apparently powerful attraction that drew Taylor Marks from her suburban life.

''I kept telling Kristie to think the worse in every situation, you're being conned, you're being duped,'' he said. ''I told her to watch out for them, don't tread down there by yourself, don't go looking, don't get lured.
    Seems there was plenty of warning, but she just couldn't wrap her head around it. All three should get the chair or the noose.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    ''For a girl who went from having everything she wants to living in that kind of situation, there's got to be a reason. It just doesn't happen and it doesn't happen overnight.''
    That's what I want to know. What went wrong? What, if anything could have be done differently to prevent this?

It's so easy to blame the parent(s). It's so easy to blame the kid(s). But where the real truth lies -- we don't have the tools and techniques to find out.

Yet.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Links