Certainly heroic, we are happy he was here

This is a discussion on Certainly heroic, we are happy he was here within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Concealed carry person stops stab happy patient at hospital. The key quote in the story: Certainly heroic, we are happy he was here, Bonnie Michelman, ...

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Concealed carry person stops stab happy patient at hospital. The key quote in the story:
    Certainly heroic, we are happy he was here, Bonnie Michelman, the hospital's security director
    I really wonder what the quoted persons pre-attack attitude was toward concealed weapons in the hospital. Call me a cynic, but I will bet that last week, the hospital was dead set against weapons on the premises.
    TBO.com - News From AP

Boston cops: Psych patient stabs doc, is shot dead

By BOB SALSBERG
    Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- A man stabbed a doctor while being treated at a psychiatric office at a Boston medical building Tuesday and was fatally shot by an off-duty security guard who saw the attack, police said.

The attack took place in the afternoon at a high-rise affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital.

The female doctor, identified by hospital officials as Dr. Astrid Desrosiers, was in serious, but stable condition. Police said the suspect died of the gunshot wounds. He was identified as Jay Carciero, 37, of Reading.

"During the course of the stabbing incident an off-duty security officer who was armed interceded. He produced a weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the knife. And when the suspect did not comply, he shot the suspect," said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.

The security guard was not affiliated with the hospital and just happened to be on the fifth-floor of the building where the attack occurred, according to Bonnie Michelman, the hospital's security director.

"Certainly heroic, we are happy he was here," said Michelman.

Good, hopefully everything turns out ok for the off duty guard.

Really surprised the hospital isn't posted-although I do not know how that works in Boston.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    How would that quote have read if had been an average joe, and not an "off duty security guard"? I think many people lump security guards in with the people they are comfortable having guns.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'm told that MGH has a strict "no firearms allowed" policy. But MGLs only prohibit firearms in schools (K-college), thus no laws were broken.

"Policies" are usually in place and enforced on employees and usually can't be enforced upon visitors (unless they do something stupid).

Over many years I've been in MGH and many other Boston hospitals. Don't recall any "gun signs" visible upon entrance, but I don't tend to pay attention to that drivel anyway.

Links