Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

This is a discussion on Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is nothing wrong with organizing a legit neighborhood watch, but this is aint it. The actions of these guys are a disaster waiting to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

There is nothing wrong with organizing a legit neighborhood watch, but this is aint it. The actions of these guys are a disaster waiting to happen.

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if it would be possible to find their facebook page and explain the error of their ways

"Campus Vigilantes" - University of Washington

I told you all about how crime around the University of Washington (Seattle, WA) is seemingly rampant. It is apparent that other UW students with CPLs have taken notice and have decided to band together to fight this crime themselves. Scary stuff.

I'd like to direct your attention to the comments following the article (linked below) - especially the third comment, written by the leader of the "campus vigilante" group. This comment shows how the folks think about their role in the community - In the Q13 video (also linked below) they speak of "baiting" criminals.

Students carry concealed weapons in response to U-District crime - The Daily of the University of Washington

Article and video from the local Fox news station, Q13 Fox:
    College: Group of Armed College Students Called "Vigilantes," They Walk Around Looking For Bad Guys After Number Of Assaults Near Campus - KCPQ

Here's a link to my post about UW crime:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-examples.html

GM
    I understand that no one wants to be an assault victim, but these guys have certainly watched too much television! They totally misunderstood what having a CCW permit means and the responsibility that it implies. If they believe that a CCW permit gives them the legal right to act as “vigilantes” they are totally WRONG. Sadly, they use the Second Amendment to justify their actions; all this situation might be like Christmas time for anti-gun people. Hopefully someone will talk to them and stop that insanity before a disaster happens; because considering the way they handle the guns in the video, a disaster might happen very soon. I hope their CCW permit is revoked in order to protect them as well as innocent people that might be walking in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I totally agree with Janq when he writes:

---Quotation---
    Thee guys are stupid idiots, as on multiple levels. :|

Do not be these guys.
    Do not associate with people like these guys as in mentality and action.
    And don't never ever make comments such as these fools did to the media. Duh!

Also note early in to the video their poor firearm handling skills.
    They cover each other like three times including feet and the one guy outright points the gun at his buddy after loading the firearms magazine.
    What a pair of morons. These are the people who make me and us and other carry persons look bad.
    ---End of quotation---
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

They are acting foolishly but their hearts are in the right place. At least they were smart enough to get CPLs before carrying concealed weapons.

I cringed when I saw the way they were handling their firearms and tucking one into a belt. Rudimentary firearm handling and safety leaves much to be desired with the two gentlemen I saw on the news.

I live in Seattle just 15 minutes from the University of Washington. I was able to locate one of these gentleman's facebook profiles and sent him a message offering free range time and instruction. I sent a similar email to the University of Washington College Republicans.

If I get a response I will post a follow up.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbrcstm2 View Post
    They are acting foolishly but their hearts are in the right place.
    If I get a response I will post a follow up.
    Personally, I would appreciate very much if you please could post a follow up in that case.

I am not sure if they really have their hearths in the right place or if they just think that it is cool to carry a gun and stand in front of the camera with it like in “Taxi Driver”; I guess you will find it out if they contact you. I am sorry, but I believe that what those gentlemen are doing it wrong. In any case I am sure they did not even consider how anti-gun people will use all this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

These are EXACTLY the type of people that anti-gun people imagine and fear us all to be.

- Janq
    Brady Campaign already had an article up by the time the Q13 article ran.

(Why did this thread (started by yours truly) show up later as created by Janq? Both of my original posts are gone, too.)

As a UW student and CPL-holder, I feel that these gentlemen represent me, as a carrier, very poorly. I also fear greatly that the way they manifest their [presumably] good intentions is going to get them and those around them in a lot of trouble. I, for one, don't want to be "caught in the crossfire."

The idea did cross my mind of reaching out to those guys and trying to get them some lessons and help in the right direction. However, the "leader's" comments - "some cowards complained to Facebook" - and his negative attitude toward others in general made me think otherwise. I would almost rather "tuck and run" and stay away from these guys.

Can you good folks suggest any good, safe, non-threatening ways to reach out and help the guys featured in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    As a UW student and CPL-holder, I feel that these gentlemen represent me, as a carrier, very poorly. I also fear greatly that the way they manifest their [presumably] good intentions is going to get them and those around them in a lot of trouble. I, for one, don't want to be "caught in the crossfire."

The idea did cross my mind of reaching out to those guys and trying to get them some lessons and help in the right direction. However, the "leader's" comments - "some cowards complained to Facebook" - and his negative attitude toward others in general made me think otherwise. I would almost rather "tuck and run" and stay away from these guys.

Can you good folks suggest any good, safe, non-threatening ways to reach out and help the guys featured in the article?
    I'm a Huskie too. Class of '04.

See my post above.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

Tag for later.

GM
    I cringed when I saw the way they were handling their firearms and tucking one into a belt.
    If he was using a SA instead of a DAO, he should most probably be singing falsetto right now

I love these guys

I gotta say – I LOVE THESE GUYS!!
    Yes I agree – they need more training – both firearm and legal. They certainly don’t understand the potential problems they could be in if/when it hits the fan.
    But – they have legally purchased and carry their firearms and aren’t breaking any laws.
    The fact that they are doing something is what I love about them.
    I think that more than a few of us on this forum would like to do what they are doing (without the foolish statements to the press, etc), but are too concerned with the legal consequences. You know you’ll be cheering if they take down a thug or two, even if we cringe at the legal problems that may follow.
    For me personally, I wouldn’t do it – too much to lose, family etc, but I respect them for doing something.

Whether we like it or not – THEY ARE ONE OF US NOW. Good guys legally carrying firearms.

I live in Seattle just 15 minutes from the University of Washington. I was able to locate one of these gentleman's facebook profiles and sent him a message offering free range time and instruction. I sent a similar email to the University of Washington College Republicans.
    Kudos to Kmbrcstm2 for offering training and range time. I hope they take you up on it. Would also be great if we can get them involved in this forum – a lot of wisdom and learning here.

Gotta say it again - I LOVE THESE GUYS!!

Must be my inner vigilante coming out.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    All I can say is I pitty their defense attorney.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

This video made me sick. Do you think they even took an approved firearms class?

I too pity their soon to be court-ordered public defense attorney.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links