Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

This is a discussion on Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by Fox13: Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes" They use facebook to organize U-district patrols Web Reporter 10:07 PM PDT, October 27, 2009 SEATTLE ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

Thumbs down Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes". They use Facebook to organize patrols. (WA)

As reported by Fox13:

Armed UW Students Called "Vigilantes"
    They use facebook to organize U-district patrols

Web Reporter

10:07 PM PDT, October 27, 2009

SEATTLE - A group of University Of Washington students are being called vigilantes after they armed themselves with handguns and tried to set up patrols on University Avenue and other areas around campus where students have been attacked over the past year.

Stanley Luong and Luis Garcia say they are both assault victims.

Luong says; "Some guy just broke down the window, reached in and unlocked the door and came in and robbed us."

Garcia says; "Four men jumped out of a car. They assaulted me and threw my girlfriend to the ground and they attempted to rob me. Two times I've been jumped. I said it's not going to happen a third time."

So both got a concealed license permit and bought handguns.

Now they walk around with pistols in their pockets...looking for the bad guys.

Luong says; "I don't know if it's illegal to walk around and be bait. I'm kind of fishing for robbers."

Garcia says; "I believe the police they come after the fact. They aren't there when the incident is occurring I believe this is just the fastest means of protecting oneself and those around you… and so I decided to take that measure and execute my second amendment to bear arms."

According to the UW Daily Newspaper that broke the story there have been ten assaults and robberies in the area in just the past two months..

The students also created a Facebook page with more than two dozen friends.

Luong goes on to say; "I was just kind of sick of it and I watched a lot of movies like taxi driver and vigilante movies and I decided why not make a Facebook."

It was quickly removed but by then the group was already together and remains loosely knit.

Needless to say, The University of Washington Police department doesn't think this style of vigilantism is a good idea. They would rather see the police work left to the professionals.

University Of Washington Deputy Police Chief Ray Wittmier says; "People when they are carrying weapons a lot of times they feel less vulnerable so they put themselves in bad positions sometimes increasing the likelihood that they might run into a bad situation."

Right now it is illegal to carry a concealed handgun on college campuses in Washington. There has long been a move to change state law to allow it but so far it has not been successful.

The story with a you gotta see & hear these fools video can be found at; UW, Students, Handguns, Assaults, Police - KCPQ

- Janq would not encourage anyone to carry so as to be 'bait' (?), while also being admittedly ignorant of state laws (!)

Outside of colleges there are _morons_ doing exact same all around this country, and have been for eons.

This item/incident as being used for argument against lawful college location carry would have little ground to stand on and be very easily countered by the vast numbers of criminal victimization that are and have been ongoing at college/university towns and campus locations.

Thee guys are stupid idiots, as on multiple levels. :|

Do not be these guys.
    Do not associate with people like these guys as in mentality and action.
    And don't never ever make comments such as these fools did to the media. Duh!

Also note early in to the video their poor firearm handling skills.
    They cover each other like three times including feet and the one guy outright points the gun at his buddy after loading the firearms magazine.
    What a pair of morons. These are the people who make me and us and other carry persons look bad.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

wow. these guys are morons and it gives ccwers a bad rap.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

well intentioned, but foolish to advertise yourself nonetheless. Hopefully these guys will not run into any real trouble.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If we have any members in Seattle it would be great if someone would reach out and contact these two not to tell them off but rather take them under a wing and show them the very many wrongs they have made and are making.
    As well as review law and legality with them too including the legal concept of 'premeditation'.
    Advise them on how to get proper training as from the basics at a 100 level and forward.

These are EXACTLY the type of people that anti-gun people imagine and fear us all to be.

- Janq

P.S. - Further if you are going to speak to the media be media savvy, or shut your pie hole and have someone else talk for you.
    These guys were and are awful!
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I admire folks that want to do something about a problem. I generally think its better to do something than doing nothing other than complaining about all the bad. With that said, their lack of training and intentionally putting themselves in harms way may have some very bad consequences that they donít understand yet.
    I hope some competent CCWers in the area encourage them to get some good training and better tactics. I look at these guys being on our side, just lacking the wisdom that many have gained thru years, experience and training. It would be nice to see them join this forum to get exposure to the wisdom here. They are open to some severe consequences if things go south on them.

Oh to be young and invincible again!!

I just saw Janq's post +1 We need to bring them in, get them trained and safe.
    Last edited by hayzor; October 28th, 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: update

I was just going to post about this....

Some UW Students Carrying Weapons In Response To Crimes - Seattle News Story - KIRO Seattle

need contact info for them. a bit of a common sense injection is needed.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I know of a group that tried to do this near me.

When I saw the level of training these people had and how resistant they were to bringing in an instructor, I ran very fast.

If you want to do something like this, their is a right way...and a wrong way.

This is a WRONG way...

I'm with Janq here, somebody, (somebodies) reach out and educate these people before they are made fuel for the Brady Bunch.
    Itís so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

ďThe way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,Ē the Sheriff said.

It is illegal to carry a concealed handgun on college campuses in Washington. There has long been a move to change state law to allow it but so far it has not been successful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is incorrect. I think in Washington there is no law that makes carrying a gun on campus illegal, it is only against school policy. The school can expel you if caught. I believe the push to carry on campus in Washington is to make it legal with the schools not having a say.

That's how I heard it from people in Washington anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    It is illegal to carry a concealed handgun on college campuses in Washington. There has long been a move to change state law to allow it but so far it has not been successful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is incorrect. I think in Washington there is no law that makes carrying a gun on campus illegal, it is only against school policy. The school can expel you if caught.
    That is my understanding as well.

-john

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Washington there is no law that makes carrying a gun on campus illegal, it is only against school policy.
    You are quite correct.

The only laws related to school carry here prohibit carry at primary and secondary schools (k-12). This is not either.

You also correct about the school's having their own policy as well.

PS: These guys are idiots. I am sure some administrators are watching this and will take action to expel them in the near future.

[edit]

The Univ of Washington Student conduct code for the university of washington as written by the Board of Regents:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.a...te=478-120-020

(2) As a condition of enrollment, all students assume responsibility to....

(3) Specific instances of misconduct include, but are not limited to:...

(f) Possession or use of firearms, explosives, dangerous chemicals or other dangerous weapons or instrumentalities on university premises, except for authorized university purposes, unless prior written approval has been obtained

Luong says; "I don't know if it's illegal to walk around and be bait. I'm kind of fishing for robbers."
    That statement is going to come back and bite him on the ass if he ever draws his gun in self defense.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    That statement is going to come back and bite him on the ass if he ever draws his gun in self defense.
    I was thinking the same thing...imagine the legal hoopla if they are involved in a shooting...

Now they walk around with pistols in their pockets...looking for the bad guys.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've spent a total of one hour in the U district in Seattle, and during that time, was the target of a crime. Thankfully, I did have my carry gun and was able to defend myself and my sister. I had a post about it about a year ago I think.

There's nothing wrong with these guys arming themselves...i'd highly recommend it in that area. But the whole "acting as bait" and trying to "provoke" crime so they can catch the criminals is just stupid.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

A saying that we have around here is "Good initiative, but bad judgment", I think that it is great that they will not be victims anymore, however they are going about this all wrong. They are not Charles Bronson in Death Wish, or the Boondock Saints, or any other of a list of movie characters. If you go looking for trouble, a lot of times you can find it.

These guys need better firearms and legal training, because if this continues odds are that they will end up in a hospital or prison.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links