Donít bring a knife to a coffee fight

Donít bring a knife to a coffee fight

This is a discussion on Donít bring a knife to a coffee fight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don’t bring a knife to a coffee fight Posted on October 26, 2009 by Caleb It’s not exactly easy for me to come up with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donít bring a knife to a coffee fight

Talking Donít bring a knife to a coffee fight

Don’t bring a knife to a coffee fight
    Posted on October 26, 2009 by Caleb

It’s not exactly easy for me to come up with a humorous way to segue into this post as is my normal routine for dealing with serious topics. So I guess I’ll just go with the old “damn the torpedos, full speed ahead approach”.

The short version of the story is that on Saturday leaving my office, I was the subject of an attempted mugging by a member of the Indianapolis Choir Boy School of Good Men Who are Only Down on Their Luck. As I was leaving my office, said altar boy came around the corner of my building to the left into the side parking lot, and as I turned to face him noticed the knife in his right hand. The Chaplain’s Assistant demanded that we engage in an abbreviated barter process, wherein I would provide my wallet and car keys in exchange for not getting shanktified, which to him probably seemed like a reasonable exchange.

I politely demurred by hurling a cup of hot Starbucks at him while fishing my Beretta Jetfire out of the stupid pocket holster it was riding in. After taking a face full of Columbia’s most popular legal export and confronted with a counter offer of bullets to his previous barter exchange concept, the young gentlemen decided that discretion was the better part of valor and made all due haste in a westerly direction. For my part, I locked myself in my office, called 911 and waited for the cops to arrive to take my report.

Now, while I did write out the AAR slightly tongue-in-cheek, what happened to me is a deadly serious thing. I was mugged in broad daylight, not 20 yards from the parking lot of a semi-popular video store. Two days later, I can look back on this after talking it over with some cop friends and other self-defense types and gather two important take-away lessons that I’ll be remembering for quite some time:

1. Awareness is king. Because I heard/saw the guy as he came around the corner, I was not caught completely flat-footed when my world went abruptly pear-shaped.
    2. Action > reaction > passivity. My wife asked me later “why did you throw your coffee at him?” My only reply, and which remains my reply is “seemed like the thing to do at the time” – but from a 10,000 foot view, tossing my coffee had major impact on the encounter which was to switch the initiative from my would be attacker to me. By throwing my coffee, I was forcing him to react to my actions instead the other way around, which gave me the opportunity to retrieve a better weapon than a cup of coffee.

The moral of the story for me anyway is twofold: keep your head up. While you can’t be in condition orange or yellow or whatever all the time, there are certain times when it behooves you to keep your head on a swivel. Secondly, as pdb is fond of saying, “carry your [expletive removed] guns, people!” It’s impossible for me to know what would have happened had any number of variables gone differently, but one that I’m glad I didn’t have to worry about was “what if I only had that cup of coffee and didn’t have my Beretta with me?” On Saturday, a .25 in my pocket beat hell out of the 9mm I left sitting on my desk at home.

Don’t bring a knife to a coffee fight Gun Nuts Media
    Last edited by JD; October 28th, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.
    S&W MP15T
    Ruger Mini-14
    HK USP Compact .40 S&W
    Springfield Armory XDm .40 S&W

NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Nice move in using what was available. Seemed like a smart move. Good thing the altar boy didn't have good reflexes, that guy could have had a knife to the gut pretty quickly...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Great move! I often have "stuff" in my hands, and if ever confronted, my pre-planned action involves throwing said "stuff" at the BG while moving off the X and drawing.

Too bad you had to waste that expensive coffee!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Words to live by, as you did to great effect:

"Adapt, improvise and overcome."
    "Everything is a weapon."

Excellent job.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds like you did a good job. You were aware, and you got ahead of your adversaries OODA loop, and emptied your hands so you could draw your weapon. You might consider a better pocket holster though.

Like your write-up about it too, but why are you throwing coffee at altar boys?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

jbs
    I swear that starbucks coffee is steaming hot an hour after you get it. Have the cops checked hospitals for anyone with third degree burns?
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Congrats on your alertness and quick thinking, and I like the way you write...clever!

Stay armed, enjoy a cup-a-jo, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good move. FOM and prior Martial Arts teacher said long time ago he tossed his sunglasses to the person he was in a confrontation with and their natural instinct was to catch them - much to their dismay.

Distraction - hot drink or whatever. Glad your safe.
    For God, Family and Country!

That was the four buck defense.

Which flavor/brand of coffee?

I want to start a 9mm v .40 v .45 war, only with flavor of coffee.

Was it +P, ++P, or unleaded?

Seriously, good SA and good reaction.
    I would recommend a more serious self-defense weapon than a .25.
    Better than nothing, but the 9mm on you would have been significantly better.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

You did great. Any distraction to said Bad Guy will help. I took Martial Arts a few years ago prior to concealed carry and that was one of the things we were taught. No attacker expects to have it turned around and "up in their face" so to speak.

By the way, love your writing and description of the serious event and glad that you came out unscathed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I don't think the story was about the OP it is a Gun Blogger and Podcaster named Caleb website here. Gun Nuts Media

Good job, and if the coffee was fresh enough the burns would make him easy enough to spot.

I personally carry a double espresso in an IWB at 3 O'clock
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Which flavor/brand of coffee?

I want to start a 9mm v .40 v .45 war, only with flavor of coffee.

Was it +P, ++P, or unleaded?

Seriously, good SA and good reaction.
    I would recommend a more serious self-defense weapon than a .25.
    Better than nothing, but the 9mm on you would have been significantly better.
    Actually, the .25 is a LOT better than nothing -- you will note it caused the BG to flee. But you are right, in general if the BG decides to stick around, a larger caliber would do much better. Still, a .25 round in the face has got to hurt.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Considering the BG had a hot eye wash with hot coffee, I don't think he had time to determine the calibur the intended victim was intending to use to continue the conversation with. Once he figured out he was about to become fish bait, he decided to abandon his quest.
    Hell, I've spilled hot coffee on my hand and it didn't take long to determine that hand needed to find a sink full of cold water post haste. Some of my best coffee cups have met their demise that way. The floor is unforgiving.

BG's are, for the most part, Cowards and most will run if they lose the upper hand.

Great job, great reflexes, and what a great lesson you taught the Chior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links