Why you should carry when you go hiking

This is a discussion on Why you should carry when you go hiking within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I always carry in the woods: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...week-sort.html I was followed thru the woods as a teenager by a pack of Timberwolves, I was a few ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should carry when you go hiking

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I always carry in the woods:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...week-sort.html

I was followed thru the woods as a teenager by a pack of Timberwolves, I was a few miles away from Chi Vang when he killed the hunters in Wisconsin, and now I was confronted by mountain lions. I'm more nervous alone in the woods than at Walmart.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Rabies?
    A real possibility as well along with canine distemper too as a guess.

According to her presentation we've had more rabid _cow_ findings (!) (not just reports but actual state lab tested proven findings) as in that same '01 to '04 time frame than the total amount of coyote to human contact incidence _ever_ as in the known record for the states history.

She was adamant that the coyotes will predate on humans, like a wolf, theory as is popular around the nation is just bunk.
    Again it was only last Wednesday that I instructed in that course.

Wow.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

gdm320-

To each their own, that's what's great about our country (well at least up to today). I am of the "If I have my pants on I have my gun on" strip.

A couple years ago the wife and I lived about 2 hours from Barkley/Kentucky Lakes and the "Land Between the Lakes" National Recreation Area which has a big red "NO FIREARMS" sign at the entrance. On my first scouting trip of camping places away from the established Campgrounds (requires a Back Country Camping Permit) I encountered a Federal Parks Police Officer at an extremely remote lakeside camping area and we got to talking. I asked "Am I really supposed to have my wife out here camping with no means of self protection?"

He said "Only if you're a damned fool. As long as you're not causing trouble no one is going to search you or say anything about it. We mainly use that to throw additional charges on trouble makers."

That is why I have never hiked or camped in a National Park, can't wait for FEB.

I would dare to contest the statement that animals (mountain lions mentioned) won't attack groups. In Colorado we've had news coverage of families of 3,4, and 5 persons hiking and the last one in the group which was, unfortunately, a child or smaller female was attacked and/ or carried off.

I'm guessing wolfs as noted or Wild DOGS. H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    To each their own but I have been a hiker/backpacker for over 40 years and I have NEVER not been armed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My question to everyone is what type of gun or loads due to you take for hiking? I used to carry my Sig 228 9mm but had a Russian boar maybe around 250 pounds charge at me while I was hiking in Davy Crocket National Forest two years ago. I shot the hog twice with my 9mm with a 147 grain hydrashock. It had no major effect but only scared it. I now take either my Sig 220 45 or my Smith&Wesson 686 357 revolver when I go hiking. I shot another boar in July 2008 in Sam Houston National Forest when I ventured off the trail and into a a small ravine with my 357 revolver and it dropped fast.

Just a question gdm320, what is your logic that you carry in daily life but don't on the trail? Just tryin' to understand....

What do I carry when hiking?

Reply to cbp210- I'd rather carry my snubbie 38 for its lightweight but my husband insists (for the best) that I carry the SP101 for the 357 power against 2 and 4-legged nasties. I've also carried the 44 special Charter arms and my 45 Springfield micro. Just doesn't feel right without one!

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Reply to cbp210- I'd rather carry my snubbie 38 for its lightweight but my husband insists (for the best) that I carry the SP101 for the 357 power against 2 and 4-legged nasties. I've also carried the 44 special Charter arms and my 45 Springfield micro. Just doesn't feel right without one!
    I know how you feel. I need to have something since I got charged twice.

While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I have carried in the back country for many years. Now when I hike or go mountain biking, I usually carry a G27 or G30, because they are lighter and take the wear and tear better that my other pistols. I've only felt threatened once in the back country, and that was by a two legged varmit. However, you can depend on no one else but yourself in the backcountry and you must assume that some type of animal has seen or smelled you from aways away.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it,what you do is your decision,and you ultimately will have to live or die with the consequences
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Coyotes are becoming more & more aggressive towards humans these days.

Last month, in the 'night shooting' portion of my Advanced Defensive Handgun course, a pack of coyotes advanced to within 50 yds of our class. We trained our high powered flashlights on them. That froze them in their tracks. We would have fired on them but our 'bearing' was fouled by some houses in the distance. We kept an eye out for them for the remainder of the evening.

Last week, a friend, out deer hunting w/his wife, son & daughter, had a coyote advance to within 15 yds. of them before they even saw it. My friend, being an excellent trapshooter, swung his .30-06 & 'point shot' it as it continued to advance on him & his family.

Coyotes definitely bear watching out for.
    Last edited by KenInColo; October 30th, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This is crazy unusual/rare.

Funny thing is that last Wed. I was co-instructing a USFWS trapper education course as relating to coyote.
    A guest speaker from the MA Div. of Fish & Wildlife who is a professional wildlife biologist and one of the states experts on coyote gave a presentation on subject matter related to animal bites/attacks and stated the following statistics as related to MA:

Dec. 01 to Dec. '04
    644 dog bites to humans [reported]
    211 human bites to human bites [reported]
    3 coyote bites ever (!) in MA history

[As cited direct from my hand typed notes of the presentation.]

She went on to indicate that coyote on human attacks in general as nationally are extremely rare, speaking toward old wives tales of coyotes grabbing babies out of strollers and such.

To have not one but two attack a full grown human makes no sense.
    I'd bet these are not coyotes but in fact wild dogs, or even wolves.

I'm going to forward her this news clip.

- Janq

well heres a link to animal planet, where they did a story in Middletown NJ, about a coyote attacking a 5 yr. old boy near his backyard, and 6 wks. earlier attacked a 2yr. old

When Animals Strike: Coyote Attacks Boy : Video : Animal Planet

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links