Why you should carry when you go hiking

This is a discussion on Why you should carry when you go hiking within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by oneshot well heres a link to animal planet, where they did a story in Middletown NJ, about a coyote attacking a 5 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why you should carry when you go hiking

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    well heres a link to animal planet, where they did a story in Middletown NJ, about a coyote attacking a 5 yr. old boy near his backyard, and 6 wks. earlier attacked a 2yr. old

When Animals Strike: Coyote Attacks Boy : Video : Animal Planet

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

This is a serious problem among coyotes. I remember seeing one on the road while driving Highway 59 near Bay City, TX. I heard the locals hate them in these parts.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    My question to everyone is what type of gun or loads due to you take for hiking? I used to carry my Sig 228 9mm but had a Russian boar maybe around 250 pounds charge at me while I was hiking in Davy Crocket National Forest two years ago. I shot the hog twice with my 9mm with a 147 grain hydrashock. It had no major effect but only scared it. I now take either my Sig 220 45 or my Smith&Wesson 686 357 revolver when I go hiking. I shot another boar in July 2008 in Sam Houston National Forest when I ventured off the trail and into a a small ravine with my 357 revolver and it dropped fast.
    It really depends on the area I am heading into. Predator country gets a bigger, but harder to carry, pistol while hiking. General hiking use is a 1911, typically go to a 44 mag or 357 mag for predator country.

Anyone hear about that rabid mountain lion in Co. Springs last month? Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post

Anyone hear about that rabid mountain lion in Co. Springs last month? Crazy stuff.
    DO you have a link to this story?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links