Why you should carry when you go hiking

This is a discussion on Why you should carry when you go hiking within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Wednesday, October 28, 2009 Print E-mail deliciousdel.icio.us diggDigg technoratiTechnorati redditReddit facebookFacebook ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should carry when you go hiking

Why you should carry when you go hiking

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
    Print E-mail
    deliciousdel.icio.us
    diggDigg
    technoratiTechnorati
    redditReddit
    facebookFacebook slashdotSlashdot
    farkFark
    newsvineNewsvine
    googleGoogle Bookmarks
    Share Comments (99)
    Georgia (default)
    Verdana
    Times New Roman
    Arial
    Font | Size:

(10-28) 17:18 PDT TORONTO, Canada (AP) --

Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

___

On the Net:

Taylor Mitchell's Web site: Taylor Mitchell :: So sad...

Taylor Mitchell on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Read more: Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

This is why I carry my handgun when I go hiking

2. Remove Ads

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    The sad thing is that CCW is illegal in Canada for all but a few dozens judges and criminals who turned on their biker gangs, probably. The numbers are known but the identities are secret.

But this was a city girl who didn't have bear spray or even a knife with her. Also, it's likely that she was menstruating. As well, coyotes pick up on female or children's voices, etc. Very sad.

It's a perfect example of the government taking away a person's right to protect him/herself and replacing it with a police officer who arrives too late.

So what will happen? Instead of championing the right of Canadians to protect themselves, the smarter-than-thou urban elites will restrict access to the park or something even more stupid.

Yep, welcome to Canada, where liberal governments turned the law-abiding into good little victims.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Real sad one so young.

This is crazy unusual/rare.

Funny thing is that last Wed. I was co-instructing a USFWS trapper education course as relating to coyote.
    A guest speaker from the MA Div. of Fish & Wildlife who is a professional wildlife biologist and one of the states experts on coyote gave a presentation on subject matter related to animal bites/attacks and stated the following statistics as related to MA:

Dec. 01 to Dec. '04
    644 dog bites to humans [reported]
    211 human bites to human bites [reported]
    3 coyote bites ever (!) in MA history

[As cited direct from my hand typed notes of the presentation.]

She went on to indicate that coyote on human attacks in general as nationally are extremely rare, speaking toward old wives tales of coyotes grabbing babies out of strollers and such.

To have not one but two attack a full grown human makes no sense.
    I'd bet these are not coyotes but in fact wild dogs, or even wolves.

I'm going to forward her this news clip.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

That's horrible. She looked familiar. I've probably seen an ad on facebook or something.

Why would a girl be hiking by herself? Coyote's aren't the only predator out there.

There was that girl in Georgia just last year killed by a spree killer.

Living in Colorado, I see lots of female hikers alone on the trails and I always wonder if they are armed (doubtful) or even maybe have pepper spray or a knife.
    I hope they are aware of the dangers but so many are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This is crazy unusual/rare.

Funny thing is that last Wed. I was co-instructing a USFWS trapper education course as relating to coyote.
    A guest speaker from the MA Div. of Fish & Wildlife who is a professional wildlife biologist and one of the states experts on coyote gave a presentation on subject matter related to animal bites/attacks and stated the following statistics as related to MA:

Dec. 01 to Dec. '04
    644 dog bites to humans [reported]
    211 human bites to human bites [reported]
    3 coyote bites ever (!) in MA history

[As cited direct from my hand typed notes of the presentation.]

She went on to indicate that coyote on human attacks in general as nationally are extremely rare, speaking toward old wives tales of coyotes grabbing babies out of strollers and such.

To have not one but two attack a full grown human makes no sense.
    I'd bet these are not coyotes but in fact wild dogs, or even wolves.

I'm going to forward her this news clip.

- Janq
    Rabies?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Most of the females I know here in Texas who go hiking in the Sam Houston National Forest carry buck 119 knives if they don't have guns on them. They do know how to use them in these parts.

If you see my co-worker out..... I promise SHE is armed! LMAO!! She is just a wild animal attraction!! She has been run up on by at least 2 mountain Lions, a bear, and has been attacked and bitten by a dog......all while out running/hiking.
    And they say exercise is good for you..........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I do not carry while I hike, under any circumstances. Its a personally choice and a belief system. I'm an avid hiker and I'm out a minimum of a week per month.

What this is actually a clear example of is inexperience. I'm not a fan of solo hiking at all, and this is one reason right. Predatory animals that are generally too shy to attack humans (certain breeds of bear, coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, and so on) aren't the least bit interested in attacking a group. Beyond that, you need to have an awareness of your surrounding so you don't get into that situation.

Like V65 fan, bear spray is generally a more effective deterrent anyway. I do carry bear spray in animal country.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

"I do carry bear spray in animal country."gdm320

It is a sad fact that in today's society there are very few places that would not be considered ANIMAL country, either 2 or 4 legged...

bosco

Oh make no mistake, I will be carrying to the trail head... but I won't take it out with me.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Oh make no mistake, I will be carrying to the trail head... but I won't take it out with me.
    For me that would mean leaving my gun in the jeep while I'm hiking. I'm not comfortable with that. In cases where this has been my only choice I have just left the gun at home; not a good choice either. I advise carrying when hiking in back country if at all possible. Most animals are shy but there can be two legged predators out there who become emboldened in remote places.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    For me that would mean leaving my gun in the jeep while I'm hiking. I'm not comfortable with that. In cases where this has been my only choice I have just left the gun at home; not a good choice either. I advise carrying when hiking in back country if at all possible. Most animals are shy but there can be two legged predators out there who become emboldened in remote places.
    It's a personal choice. I don't advocate for people to do one or the other. I carry in my everyday life, but choose not to in the backcountry... just like some people choose not to carry at church.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    It's a personal choice. I don't advocate for people to do one or the other. I carry in my everyday life, but choose not to in the backcountry... just like some people choose not to carry at church.
    I understand. I expect you'll be OK. I hope so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links