PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun

This is a discussion on PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Scott, I'm going black bear hunting for the first time in a couple of weeks when the season re-opens. But rather than an iPod or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun

Scott,

I'm going black bear hunting for the first time in a couple of weeks when the season re-opens.

But rather than an iPod or a Louisville Slugger, I'll be carrying a lever action Marlin guide gun running 405 grains of .45-70 Remington JSP.

I am taking no chances and darn if I'll be featured in the news throwing cellphones or bats at Mr. Bear so as to support my escape from his (!) dinner plate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Scott,

I'm going black bear hunting for the first time in a couple of weeks when the season re-opens.

But rather than an iPod or a Louisville Slugger, I'll be carrying a lever action Marlin guide gun running 405 grains of .45-70 Remington JSP.

I am taking no chances and darn if I'll be featured in the news throwing cellphones or bats at Mr. Bear so as to support my escape from his (!) dinner plate.

- Janq
    I second that

Yeah, I dunno about that whole black bear thing. I know when I have seen them while hiking that they scare the bejeezus out of me. Of course I am not a marine with a stick...

wsbradio.com - Listen live to Atlanta's breaking news, severe weather, & traffic - online anywhere, anytime.

Sorry I didn't find an original full article. We all remember seeing it though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Yeah, I dunno about that whole black bear thing. I know when I have seen them while hiking that they scare the bejeezus out of me. Of course I am not a marine with a stick...

wsbradio.com - Listen live to Atlanta's breaking news, severe weather, & traffic - online anywhere, anytime.

Sorry I didn't find an original full article. We all remember seeing it though, right?
    I don't remember this but great article. I am pissed that the Marine got cited for food storage.

This story from Ga. does not add up. The park rangers should search the sight for a Louisville Slugger. The truly effective weapon of choice of dumb dumb dumb I phone carriers who want to become bear droppings in a very short time.

On a serious note!!!
    Thank God no one was hurt but the bear. As a bear could tear a 6 year old apart in nothing flat. Good work Daddy of the 6 year old.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Janq:

I've got a Marlin Guide gun in .450 Marlin--thing kicks like a wild mule

I'm used to hunting with my .338 Win Mag or .300 Wthby, but man, that .450 takes the prize
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Smitty is highly envious.

This goes contrary to common belief, but the absolutely best red meat I ever had was black bear, brought back by friends hunting in Quebec. The author of the LL Bean's game cookbook apparently is of the same mind.

Good luck! That .45-70 ought to give Smokey a good thumpin'.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yep _everyone_ I've heard from says that black bear meat is crazy tasty.
    Very much I'm looking forward to the experience.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yep _everyone_ I've heard from says that black bear meat is crazy tasty.
    Very much I'm looking forward to the experience.

- Janq
    I might have to give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post
    Unless the stats have changed, more people are killed by "little bitty black bears" than by Griz......
    According to Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, black bears killed 23 people in North America between 1900 and 1980, while Grizzlies killed 41 during the same time period. When you consider that there are only about 35,000 grizzlies, compared to 500,000 black bears, and the grizzlies tend to live in remote areas where they are less likely to come into contact with humans, it's clear that an encounter with a grizzly is far more dangerous than a black bear encounter.

Now I see why Canadians are against carrying. I was disturbed by this singer mother feelings towards this incident.

Singer Wouldn't Have Wanted Coyotes Killed: Mom
    Taylor Mitchell was huge nature lover
    By Kevin Spak| Posted 15 hours, 52 minutes ago| Share Share

(Newser) – Taylor Mitchell, the 19-year-old Canadian singer killed by coyotes on a hike Tuesday, was such a nature lover that she would have wanted to spare the coyotes, her mom says. “When the decision had been made to kill the pack of coyotes, I clearly heard Taylor's voice say, 'Please don't, this is their space,’” Emily Mitchell told CNN. “She wouldn't have wanted their demise, especially as a result of her own. She was passionate about animals.”

Many who knew the folk singer, who had been on a 3-week tour of Eastern Canada, spoke of her love of nature. “If there can be any comfort at all, it is knowing that Taylor was doing two of the things she loved most, sharing story and song on the road and spending time in nature's fold,” said her manager. Royal Canadian mounted police shot one of the coyotes that attacked her on Tuesday, but they’re still hunting the other. The animal must be killed, they say, because it may have lost its fear of attacking humans.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Now I see why Canadians are against carrying. I was disturbed by this singer mother feelings towards this incident.

Singer Wouldn't Have Wanted Coyotes Killed: Mom
    Taylor Mitchell was huge nature lover
    By Kevin Spak| Posted 15 hours, 52 minutes ago| Share Share

(Newser) – Taylor Mitchell, the 19-year-old Canadian singer killed by coyotes on a hike Tuesday, was such a nature lover that she would have wanted to spare the coyotes, her mom says. “When the decision had been made to kill the pack of coyotes, I clearly heard Taylor's voice say, 'Please don't, this is their space,’” Emily Mitchell told CNN. “She wouldn't have wanted their demise, especially as a result of her own. She was passionate about animals.”

Many who knew the folk singer, who had been on a 3-week tour of Eastern Canada, spoke of her love of nature. “If there can be any comfort at all, it is knowing that Taylor was doing two of the things she loved most, sharing story and song on the road and spending time in nature's fold,” said her manager. Royal Canadian mounted police shot one of the coyotes that attacked her on Tuesday, but they’re still hunting the other. The animal must be killed, they say, because it may have lost its fear of attacking humans.
    This person is a moron...to go out into the wilderness without some form of protection against 4 (or 2) legged creatures that will eat you.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Janq & gasmitty: bear meat being tasty depends on what the bear has been eating--lots of berries= nice tasting meat. Lots of rotten fish, old dead deer carcasses....

blackeagle--lets not confuse the issue here with facts

While I obviously didn't remember the stats correctly, I do remember (kind of) when we lived in AK hearing somebody "official" (think it was AK Dept of fish & game) talk about the attitude differences between black bears and Griz: They siad that Griz are the biggest and baddest boys on the block and that they know it; if you mess with them (intrude into their space) they are going to hurt you, but they are not essentially mean-natured. They said, on the other hand, black bears tend to be more aggressive and meaner natured and more likely to attack for no apparent reason......

If any of you wants to read scary stories around the campfire--Alaskan Bear Tales is the book for you. Some stories are legend, maybe true, maybe not. Most of the stories are well documented--I even met one the the survivors once, he was the Range Officer at Fort Greely, AK, the Griz that attacked him is mounted in the terminal at the Army Airfiled at Ft Greely--it is one HUGE bear
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I ran across some internet photos of bear attack victims. They were sobering and I wouldn't post them here if I had them.

I deal with cattle on a daily basis, you'd be surprised at how tough a little old 100 lb calf can be to hold down......they have "four-wheel drive" and know how to use it.

Bigger cattle are capable of doing pretty much whatever they want to:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...xperience.html

You know there are enough "animal attack" video clips on tv that ought to wise up folks on animals. Don't forget the chimp attack on the woman about a year ago !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

This was taken from this article Surviving Bear and Cougar Attacks | Home Defense HQ

Surviving Wild Animal Attacks

For hundreds of years the rule for dealing with potentially dangerous wildlife was, “shoot on sight”. As pioneers moved westward, this helped to keep the threat of attack on humans on ranches and remote settlements to a minimum, and reinforced a predator’s natural fear of humans.

In some cases, predators were hunted almost to extinction, which caused an imbalance in natural wildlife where populations of prey animals, such as deer, grew out of control. This caused the spread of animal diseases and other problems. Since the 1970s and the introduction of the Endangered Species Act, much of that balance has been restored and many predators have recently been removed from the Endangered Species Act list as their populations grew.

grizzly bear attack

Populations of most potentially threatening predators are on the rise, and many animals are losing their fear of humans as more humans encroach on their natural habitat. The process of an animal losing their natural fear of humans is called habitation, and is a direct result of increased exposure to humans and human activities. While this does not affect all predators, it will affect some. We are seeing this happen more often. In some cases half of the attacks from animal predators on humans reported during the past 100 years have occurred during the last 20 years.

The best way to encourage animals to lose their fear of humans is to provide them with food. This is never a good idea when you are dealing with dangerous animals. Predators are unpredictable. Some may actually seem docile and well-behaved, until something triggers an attack.

There are other reasons for animal attack. As a former Minnesota resident who frequented the Boundary Waters Canoe Area wilderness park on the Canadian border several times per summer, we were always keenly aware that any of the frequent Black Bear sightings could result in an attack. Although black bear attacks are not common, they do occur. We currently live in Arizona and we are avid hikers. The most common problem predator in this area is the Mountain Lion, also known as a Puma and Cougar. This animal has been known to attack hikers and bikers.

There are published lists of fatal bear attacks and fatal cougar attacks in North America; however, the lists appear to be incomplete because I know the details of several fatal bear attacks in Wyoming and Minnesota that do not show up on the published lists.

Avoiding Wild Animal Attacks

The best way to avoid wild animal attacks is to warn predators of your presence. More often than not, black bear attacks are the result of someone accidentally getting between a mother bear and her cubs. In a few cases, bears have been found to be injured and starving because they could no longer hunt their natural food. Grizzly bears are much more aggressive than black bears, so if you are venturing into Grisly Bear areas, you need to be particularly cautious.

Whenever we are hiking into wilderness areas, we always wear jingle bells affixed to our belts or packs. These can be found at most craft and hobby stores. Use the large, one inch to inch-and-a-half jungle bells. The bells should be attached to key chain or cord so that they hang loose. The noise that they produce as you walk along a trail will warn any predators further up the trail of your presence, and they will most likely move away from the area. This eliminates the possibility that you may startle an animal or get between a mother and her cubs or kittens.

These days, women are enjoying the wilderness adventure much more often. However, there is an old warning that may have merit. Women should never venture into a predator’s territory when they are menstruating. The smell of blood is something that predators are keenly attuned to and a hungry animal could associate the smell of blood as belonging to wounded prey.

I think I should invest in jingle bells instead of a gun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links