PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun

This is a discussion on PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; October 14, 2009 1:37 PM PDT Bear ambushes hiker, attacks her iPhone instead by Caroline McCarthy Bears have some awfully funny inclinations. Back in 2004 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PETA's Answer to Stopping Animal Attacks without a Gun

October 14, 2009 1:37 PM PDT
    Bear ambushes hiker, attacks her iPhone instead
    by Caroline McCarthy

Bears have some awfully funny inclinations. Back in 2004 there were all those wackynews stories about the bear who'd downed three dozen cans of beer at a campground and proceeded to pass out.

But this one takes the cake: this summer, when Vermont hiker Kris Rowley was approached by a bear and it kept following her, it proved more interested in chowing down on her iPhone.

Rowley, who serves as Vermont's chief information security officer, tells CIO.com: "In a semi-panic, I threw the phone at the bear."

The bear proceeded to ignore Rowley and started clawing at the iPhone instead, CIO.com explains. Rowley used that as her chance to make a hasty exit. She returned two days later to get her iPhone back--bringing along a baseball bat for defense--and found it still there, but chewed and scratched up to the point where she couldn't use it anymore.

Unfortunately, the Genius Bar support team at her local Apple Store wouldn't take "a bear ate my iPhone" as a legitimate excuse to get a new one on the house: Rowley had to pay full price for a replacement.

Maybe that would've been different if she'd brought the bear along with her. Just a thought.

Let's stop carrying guns and carrying IPhones instead

She came back to the location to retrieve her phone as armed with a "baseball bat".

I swear you just can't make stuff like this up.
    To be a chief information safety officer you would think that she'd know that a human with a baseball bat hasn't a bats chance in hell against a bear. They have big teeth, large long claws, and speed!...

YouTube - Black Bear fight

I mean seriously, was she serious?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This is the same person that tells people how to be safe around bears? I would help her in finding a new career cause she is in a job that is way beyond her intelligence level,I'm thinking sumping along the lines of"you want fries with that"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    This is the same person that tells people how to be safe around bears? I would help her in finding a new career cause she is in a job that is way beyond her intelligence level,I'm thinking sumping along the lines of"you want fries with that"
    Even that job might be a bit too advanced for her.
    I wonder what kind of music she had on the phone, what do bears like to listen to?
    Meanwhile I'll continue to carry a gun and my Iphone, for all the animals I might meet.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    those iPhones are tough though... I have seen cracked screens and such they still work! If any phone would survive a bear attack it would have been the iPhone... too bad she didn't invest in some iArmor
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    those iPhones are tough though... I have seen cracked screens and such they still work! If any phone would survive a bear attack it would have been the iPhone... too bad she didn't invest in some iArmor

i knew as soon as i read the title of this thread the story would have some redonkulous way of defending themselves and they'll think it will work for every single instance of an attack.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Janq:

Yeah--your are absolutely right--you can't make this stuff up--you just can't believe folks who have grown up watching Disney movies about "wildlife" and haven't a true clue about real WILD animals.

I live real close to Yellowstone Natl park and every year I watch some STUPID tourists have real-life close and personal encounters with Buffalo, bears, etc.

When we lived in Fairbanks, we had one Army wife who lived in the housing area who thought a moose baby was so cute that she'd try to kiss it on the nose--this stupid woman actually tried to kiss the baby moose Moma moose didn't think that was such a good idea--fortunately, the young wife & mother only came away with a concussion and a few stitches
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Ding fries are done! Ding fries are done.

She had a ring tone that was offensive to bears.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member
    I wonder since she is a CIO if she had her iPhone connected to a honey pot server. (only us IT geeks will get this humor)

how stupid....lets go back to look for my phone and this Louisville slugger will protect me from a 1500 pound bear.....wow

Scott, I too see people do some really dumb things with animals.
    I was at Yellowstone in August and was amazed daily by the idiots I saw. Some people should only be allowed to stay at home and watch Animal Planet.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Seriously though.

Being in Vermont among the northeast she'd only have seen a black bear and they generally run in the 200 to 375 range. The MA state record as boned out is 467 lbs. though.
    It makes no sense what so ever to go after a wild animal of any sort muchless a very well armed _bear_ , with a baseball bat.
    SNL should run a skit of this.

Scott & Zebra I've heard from USFWS folks that incidence of attack and goring (!) by buffalo, who are _wild_, have skyrocketed as their herd size have come back through the past decade AND with that greater visibility among the park.

I mean seriously, wild animal...!?!

YouTube - Bison Charges at Tourist

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post

She returned two days later to get her iPhone back--bringing along a baseball bat for defense--

...the Genius Bar support team at her local Apple Store...
    I wonder if the "Genius Bar" refused service because she wasn't qualified to stand there.

And this person is "Vermont's chief information security officer" - ???
    Apparently a full complement of common sense is not a job requirement.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I wonder if the "Genius Bar" refused service because she wasn't qualified to stand there.

And this person is "Vermont's chief information security officer" - ???
    Apparently a full complement of common sense is not a job requirement.
    My thought exactly

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Unless the stats have changed, more people are killed by "little bitty black bears" than by Griz......

I had a couple a number of years ago that I performed the wedding for--the next year or so, she was killed and partially eaten by a black bear.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post
    Unless the stats have changed, more people are killed by "little bitty black bears" than by Griz......

I had a couple a number of years ago that I performed the wedding for--the next year or so, she was killed and partially eaten by a black bear.
    Now that scares me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links