This incident required a sidearm - Page 2

This incident required a sidearm

This is a discussion on This incident required a sidearm within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by HotGuns I carry a big Bowie too. It wont run out. I usually carry the Buck 119. I like this brand and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This incident required a sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I carry a big Bowie too. It wont run out.
    I usually carry the Buck 119. I like this brand and it is made in America.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Always carry a handgun for back up . ALWAYS !
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I've been wanting to go wild boar hunting for a while, so I'm glad this story was posted. It makes me think that my .223 AR15 with a 9mm sidearm aren't the best weapons for this job.

What's the smallest handgun caliber that would work on a wild boar, and what type of bullet (hollow point, FMJ, etc.)?

In our little county in central Texas we have young men who hunt wild hogs bare handed. They use Pit Bull mix dogs to chase the hogs and go in and catch the hogs by hand. I believe that this is about as close to being dumb as I have seen. One young man had 20 something stitches in his wrist and I ask him why he was chasing hogs and catching them by hand, he said he did not know but that it was a lot of fun.

Bore hogs grow all their life's and can get very huge. A man in our area killed a 800# bore not far from where we live. Hogs are smart and very good fighters with great courage and low center of gravity and will charge a enemy with great speed and strength. If they ever get you down they can easily kill you and then eat you.

In our brushy area if I were to hunt hogs I would use a 12 gauge with slugs or buckshot backed up by a high caliber handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by ricka01 View Post
    What's the smallest handgun caliber that would work on a wild boar, and what type of bullet (hollow point, FMJ, etc.)?
    I think the smallest bore I'd use on boar would be .357 mag, but in a handgun I'd prefer something heavier like a .44 mag or a heavily-loaded .45 LC, .454 Casull, etc. Jacketed soft points are the way to go.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ricka01 View Post
    I've been wanting to go wild boar hunting for a while, so I'm glad this story was posted. It makes me think that my .223 AR15 with a 9mm sidearm aren't the best weapons for this job.

I shot my charging hog several times and it still ran with my 9mm 147 grain round. I would stick to the typical 357 jhp rounds or at the least 45 230 grain jhp.

There was a guy in my church when I was a kid that was a shut in because of a disease he got while butchering hogs as a young man. He shot the hog & went into the pen to finish it off with a knife and it gored him. The hog's blood got in his blood stream and caused him to get a very rare blood disease that eventually killed him.

I have an old friend who did a lot of boar hunting, and had one attack him by surprise...... missed his shot with the rifle... but always carried a .44 Mag revolver for just these reasons. And, a couple of times... the .44 Mag saved his hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have an old friend who did a lot of boar hunting, and had one attack him by surprise...... missed his shot with the rifle... but always carried a .44 Mag revolver for just these reasons. And, a couple of times... the .44 Mag saved his hide.
    That is why I carry my 357 Mag with me. It has saved a me few times.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    BRUCELLA SUIS INFECTION IN PHILADELPHIA. A SURVEY OF HOG FEVER AND ASYMPTOMATIC BRUCELLOSIS -- HEINEMAN and DZIAMSKI 103 (1): 88 -- American Journal of Epidemiology
    BRUCELLA SUIS INFECTION IN PHILADELPHIA. A SURVEY OF HOG FEVER AND ASYMPTOMATIC BRUCELLOSIS1

HERBERT S. HEINEMAN2 and IRENE M DZIAMSKI
    2Reprint requests to Dr Heineman, Philadelphia General Hospital, 700 Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104

Examination of hospital and public health records revealed 19 cases of brucellosis diagnosed in Philadelphia between 1968 and 1972. A serologic survey at Philadelphia's largest hog-processing plant, however, indicated infection in 39% of workers. If extrapolated industry-wide, the total would be several hundred in Philadelphia. The infection is usually unrecognized or asymptomatic, since men were active in physically demanding jobs with agglutinin titers in excess of 1:6000. Overt illness, usually first diagnosed after weeks of incapacity, responded readily to tetracycline therapy. Although clinical manifestations are nonspecific, attention to occupational history should quickly lead to the diagnosis. It is emphasized that any hog-processing plant, wherever located, is potentially a reservoir of brucellosis. Prolonged morbidity and loss of production time might be avoided if physicians were more alert to this infection. Agglutinins in possibly significant titers were also found in a small fraction of persons without identifiable exposure.

Brucella suis; brucellosis; hog fever

1From the Department of Clinical Pathology, Philadelphia General Hospital, and the Department of Medicine, Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, Philadelphia, PA.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member

Boar Hunting Gets A Little Too Up Close And Personal.

Underwear change required................

LiveLeak.com - Up close wild boar hunt.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    A 350 yd. shot on a hog with a .243......why?
    Not smart!

A friend of mine in Texas told me she'd never hunt the hogs around there with her .243...she said it'd just piss them off. Looks like she might be right.
    And to make a 350 yd(?) shot with one...I don't know what the guy was thinking.

Glad he made it out ok though. Hope he learned a lesson from it.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Underwear change required................

LiveLeak.com - Up close wild boar hunt.
    I think the guy closest to the camera and the cameraman could have both needed a change of underwear when that long gun came out pointed at them.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Both wild and feral hogs are the only animals that are just born with a very bad attitude, you cannot be too careful around them; a 357 or 44mag is a must for a backup weapon just in case.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think "hoggin" is best done with a 12ga and .454, but why is there much more detail here than in the news article?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links