This incident required a sidearm

This is a discussion on This incident required a sidearm within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hog Attack! This Jefferson County hog hunter lost 3 pints of blood after a boar repeatedly gored him with 4-inch tusks. By Elizabeth Billips It ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This incident required a sidearm

Hog Attack!
    This Jefferson County hog hunter lost 3 pints of blood after a boar repeatedly gored him with 4-inch tusks.

By Elizabeth Billips
    It was his last cartridge and his last hope. The 192-lb. wild boar had already gored Dr. Joseph “Larry” Jackson Sr. twice and had him right where it wanted him.

It had all happened in a whirlwind... the quick tremble of leaves in the thicket, the scrape of tusks and teeth against his rifle. Dr. Jackson chambered his last round, knowing a movement too quick would probably be his last. Blood was already puddling around him.

The hog locked its eyes on the downed physician and lowered its head to strike again.

The Fourth of July had actually started off nicely for the 64-year-old Waynesboro physician. It was just after sunrise when he and hunting buddy John “J.R.” Rountree spotted the big black hog inside a pasture at Old Town Plantation in Jefferson County.

Dr. Jackson took a 350-yard shot and heard the .243 bullet hit, but it missed the heart by an inch. The hog ran along a fence line and out of sight. J.R. went for the truck while Dr. Jackson took off through the pasture on foot.

Meanwhile, the bullet-hit hog was hunkered down in a thicket no bigger than a compact car. When the doctor came into sight, the boar charged Dr. Jackson.

“I fired from my hip and just missed,” Dr. Jackson recalled from the leather recliner in his living room. “He took my feet out from under me and was on top of me.”

The hog backed off and charged again, this time burying a tusk in the doctor’s arm. He used his Remington .243 as a club and managed to hold back the hog’s head as it drove into him again and again. A pair of binoculars blocked a blow to his gut.

“These saved me from having my belly ripped open,” he said, running a finger along scrapes above the lenses.

When the hog backed off again, he knew it was his last chance.

“I didn’t want to make any quick, sudden motions,” Dr. Jackson explained, remembering how the hog stared straight at him as he reloaded his rifle and eased the barrel around.

As the boar lowered his head to attack again, Dr. Jackson squeezed a point-blank shot into its chest.

“I never felt any pain, and I was never afraid,” he said. “I was just trying to fight for my life.”

As the boar went down, the doctor realized how badly he was hurt.

“I could see I was spurting blood, so I knew I had a problem,” he recalled.

He used his good hand to keep pressure on the gash until J.R. arrived with the truck.

“I lost 3 pints right there on the ground… another three minutes and I would have been dead.”

J.R. heard the shots but didn’t suspect trouble until he rounded the bend.

“J.R. knew something was wrong then,” Dr. Jackson said, noting the whole attack was over and done within minutes. “He said he’d never seen a hunter and hog on the ground at the same time.”

J.R. rushed Dr. Jackson to the emergency room in Jefferson County where they learned the hog’s tusk had severed the artery in his wrist and sliced through three tendons. Unbeknownst to the doctor, the boar’s tusk had also pushed through his boot and severed his calf muscle.

“It looked like a cherry bomb went off in there,” he said, glancing at his thickly bandaged leg.

It took orthopedic and vascular surgeons at University Hospital in Augusta nearly four hours to repair the damages.

Dr. Jackson hobbled to his gun safe and pulled out his Remington.

“It was a fight to the death,” he said, pointing to the bite marks and gouges along the barrel. “One of us wasn’t coming out of there alive.”

He returned to his recliner, sporting a deep tan and athletic shorts. He looked himself, despite the cuts and lumps and the perfect purple hoof mark imprinted in his thigh.

He said J.R. returned for the hog and will soon deliver packages of bacon, sausage and cubed steak. There will be a skull mount arriving soon, too, complete with the razor teeth and 4-inch tusks that came so close to taking his life.

Dr. Jackson pointed to the wall where it will likely hang and recalled the flash of black-and-white stripe across the boar’s shoulder.

“I will always remember that pink eye staring right at me,” he said.

The incident won’t discourage Dr. Jackson from returning to the woods. Just as soon as his body will let him, he’ll be back at it looking for some more bacon and sausage.

Editor’s Note: Elizabeth Billips is the associate editor at The True Citizen in Waynesboro and interviewed Dr. Jackson at his Waynesboro home.

This is why I carry a large bore handgun in Hog Country

Holy cow! Talk about a close call!

Good thing for him, he didn't panic. Maintained his composure and was able to save himself.

That was no less a lethal confrontation than a thug on the street with a knife pointed at you!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Friend of mine used to work in a commercial pork farm, supplying piggies to Smithfield/Gwaltney. He was knocked down and gored through the upper thigh by a boar whose tusk was incompletely removed. Not much bleeding but he could see his femoral artery pulsing inside the wound. Survived by a hairswidth!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

One very lucky hunter,wounded animals are dangerous animals
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah, I'd say he was pretty lucky there. It could've easily had a different outcome. Glad the guy's gonna make it....

That there is one hog I'd serve up on the dinner table.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    yeah, hogs are dangerous, both Ferrel and Javelina

My brother had an encounter with one, hopped out of mesquite/sage about 6 feet in front of him, fired 30-30 from the hip hitting him in the head. He dropped to the ground for about 3 seconds, then hopped up and went to snorting, grunting, and spinning around on the dirt road like the Tazmanian Devil on Looney Tunes, snapping his jaws like crazy.
    My bro took aim and popped him in the neck just behind the head and dropped him for good.
    I wish I had that one on video.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

A 350 yd. shot on a hog with a .243......why?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Thats what I thought. That is really pushing it.

This is another reason why one should carry a concealed weapon when hunting. A handgun is much better for close quarters than a scoped bolt action rifle,especially against animals that have a bad attitude about you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Ditto. Small caliber, at most a 100 grain bullet, and 350 yards... might be good coyote medicine, but definitely on the light side for feral hogs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    My dad raised hogs for market. Even tame, you have to keep your wits around hogs. If you have ever seen them go crazy over a snake in the pen you realize how quick and dangerous they can be. I have never seen a wild hog, but can imagine it would be the last thing I would want to be on the ground with.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats what I thought. That is really pushing it.

This is another reason why one should carry a concealed weapon when hunting. A handgun is much better for close quarters than a scoped bolt action rifle,especially against animals that have a bad attitude about you.
    My thought exactly

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Holy cow!
    That was no less a lethal confrontation than a thug on the street with a knife pointed at you!
    That was the Hog's thought also.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    .243 is generally considered "borderline" for boar.
    Just not enough kinetic energy left once it hits, especially at that distance.

For my money, I want a boar gun to start with a .3__

And I defintely want a sidearm for those close encounters.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    .243 is generally considered "borderline" for boar.
    Just not enough kinetic energy left once it hits, especially at that distance.

For my money, I want a boar gun to start with a .3__

And I defintely want a sidearm for those close encounters.
    That is why I use my trusted Ruger MKII 30/06 and my sig P220 45 somtimes S&W 686 357 depending on my moods.

Senior Moderator
    I like both of mine to start with a 4. Better safe than sorry.
    I carry a big Bowie too. It wont run out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links