Firefighters shot at while making entry; LEOs did not notify them barricaded suspect

Firefighters shot at while making entry; LEOs did not notify them barricaded suspect

This is a discussion on Firefighters shot at while making entry; LEOs did not notify them barricaded suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It doesn't say that in the news article, but that's what's being reported in fire circles. Standoff Over After Man Started Fire, Gunshots Heard - ...

Thread: Firefighters shot at while making entry; LEOs did not notify them barricaded suspect

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

It doesn't say that in the news article, but that's what's being reported in fire circles.

Standoff Over After Man Started Fire, Gunshots Heard - New Orleans News Story - WDSU New Orleans
    Standoff Over After Man Started Fire, Gunshots Heard

Peaceful Ending After Man Being Evicted Barricades Self Inside Home

POSTED: 12:25 pm CDT October 29, 2009
    UPDATED: 11:39 pm CDT October 29, 2009

Email Print
    Comments (9)

NEW ORLEANS --

A nine-hour police standoff ended Thursday night, and police said they've got the suspect in custody.
    It started at an apartment in the 700 block of Upperline Street, just blocks from the Mississippi River Uptown, at about 11:30 a.m.
    First City Court Constable Lambert Boissiere said a deputy was visiting 60-year-old Richard Scearce to serve him with an eviction notice when Scearce barricaded himself inside, set fire to the building and fired several gunshots.

The standoff ended peacefully with Scearce's arrest and no injuries at about 8:30 p.m., police said.
    Police said that when Scearce was served the eviction, the former Marine asked the visiting deputy for a moment, and then he closed the door. That's when the deputy noticed smoke and called the fire department and police.
    Firefighters arrived to put out the fire, which was contained to the man's apartment.
    Officer Jonette Williams said that, while inside the home, Scearce fired an AK-47 assault weapon at firefighters. The firefighters then exited the home and notified police. Scearce continued to fire the weapon and rounds struck a fire truck that was parked outside, Williams said.
    "I don't know where a guy who can't pay his rent can get an AK-47 machine gun," said neighbor Steve Menzer. "It's pretty surprising, too. He has no money for rent but he has money for guns."
    Police cordoned off the immediate area in the 700 block of Upperline Street as negotiations were under way. Neighbors were asked to either stay in their homes or stay away.
    The Red Cross brought water to first responders at the scene Thursday evening.
    Volunteer members of the Southeast Louisiana Chapter Metro Disaster Action Team brought canteens to the command post on Tchoupitoulas and First streets.
    Some neighbors, like Derek Singley, said they worried about their families living near the alleged gunman.
    "I'm just trying to get these cops to get my baby and my wife out the house," Singley said. "She heard a big gun battle that's about it. She heard lots of shots. She called me at work trembling and asked me to come home."
    Craig Marx was sleeping in his apartment on Upperline Street when neighbors yelled that the building was on fire.
    "We all ran around to the front of the building. We see fire coming from the front apartment; also, we hear gunshots," Marx said.
    Sarah Ashley-Longshore said the incident made her "sick."
    "We've been through too much in New Orleans," she said. "We've got to all pull together."
    After nine hours of intense negotiations, Williams said, officers deployed tear gas into the home and Scearce surrendered peacefully.
    Scearce was taken to an area hospital for a medical evaluation and will be booked with various offenses, including aggravated assault and arson, Williams said.
    Investigators confiscated the AK-47 assault weapon and a semi-automatic handgun from the scene.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Unbelievable,that the cops would allow fire crews to enter a building that they just had shots fired from,I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the fire chief calls the police chief
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    In our little burg we have joint dispatch for all services in the county. It would be hard for the ambulance, fire, sheriff, or police to get into this situation if they have an E911 call. The gas, electric, water and sewer crews have access also from the same dispatch center using a different radio net. I think the state patrol and wildlife may also be in touch with the joint dispatch center. In general, they work together very well and save the citizens the expense of more than one dispatch operation.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Unbelievable,that the cops would allow fire crews to enter a building that they just had shots fired from,I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the fire chief calls the police chief
    Its hard to believe that cops should keep fire crews out of a burning building, when other innocent people are still inside.

Oh yeah, on a fire or medical scene, criminal or not, the fire department calls the shots; not the police.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its hard to believe that cops should keep fire crews out of a burning building, when other innocent people are still inside.

Oh yeah, on a fire or medical scene, criminal or not, the fire department calls the shots; not the police.
    Its a no win situation, SIXTO I can read it now "I cant beleave the cops
    wouldnt let the EMT/Firefighters in to save those two little babies."

This is one of the reasons I rarely get involved in these kind of threads.
    Last edited by ron8903; October 30th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Edited for content
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The theme in all fire and EMS ops is SAFETY FIRST. No way would I go in until LEOs gave the OK.

Another reason we listen to the scanner at work. Dispatch doesn't always give us the 'big picture'.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ...while inside the home, Scearce fired an AK-47 assault weapon at firefighters...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Another reason we listen to the scanner at work. Dispatch doesn't always give us the 'big picture'.
    Agreed. So, who was most likely to have dropped the ball here?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sometimes theres just a break down in communication. In the county im in there can sometimes be a pretty big delay in the relaying of information from fire to police and vice versa. Too many unknowns and what ifs to even begin pointing fingers. It may not be police or fire's fault. Maybe it was dispatch. Fortunately no one was hurt.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Links