My son had a close one

This is a discussion on My son had a close one within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My 18 year old son got off work at Cabella's last night. While he was driving home, he got a phone call from his manager ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son had a close one

My son had a close one

My 18 year old son got off work at Cabella's last night. While he was driving home, he got a phone call from his manager asking if he had seen anyone in the parking lot. Apparently, the girl he walked out of the store with at closing time was car jacked. She was parked fairly close to him. He said he saw her a couple of feet from her car in his rear view mirror when he was backing out.

Here is the story from kmov.com
    "Police investigate carjacking outside St. Louis Mills Mall
    12:45 PM CDT on Friday, October 30, 2009
    (KMOV) -- A woman claims she was carjacked while in the parking lot at the St. Louis Mills Mall.
    Hazlewood police were called to the scene outside the Cabela's store around 10:00 p.m. on Thursday.
    The victim told police she was approached by a man with a knife and that he demanded her keys.
    The suspect then drove off in the victim's vehicle.
    Authorities are working with mall security to get possible surveillance photos of the suspect.
    Police later discovered the victim's car on Bermuda Road."

I will now be driving to the store when he gets off of work.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    First off, welcome!

Yikes, I am glad your son is safe, but saddened that the girl was left alone.

I hope that one of the take-home lessons for him is to wait for a young lady to get safely away before pulling away. Chivalry is only dead if good men let it die.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Already talked to him about the event. I didn't even have to tell him. He told me if he could do it differently, he would. It will be different from now on for him.
    It's one of those life experiences that change a person.

Yikes, I am glad your son is safe, but saddened that the girl was left alone.
    Close call. Glad they are both okay and in one piece.

The other lesson to never forget is: 'jacking, assault, robbery, murder ... these can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.

While chivalry might cover staying with the young woman while she got safe, equally true is the risk and threat faced by a lone person in such a situation anyway, even if that person is the chivalrous blind guy who wouldn't see it coming after having helped the young lady get to her car safely. Things to think about.

Life lessons, true.

Time to take the head out of the sand. Time to realize how close it was. Time to realize how easy it is for a criminal to launch an attack on anyone, nearly anywhere. Time to realize that one must always be situationally aware and prepared to act if life blows sideways right in front of you. Time to think hard about weaponry and training, which can include physical skills, sprays, knives, firearms, but it also absolutely includes improved situational awareness, improved understanding of how to avoid situations in the first place, improved ability to sidestep situations that are brewing (or defending when they've boiled over).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Thank God the BG didn't abduct the girl! I'll bet she gets a discount at Cabellas... maybe she'll be checking in to CCW!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll bet she gets a discount at Cabellas.
    Just think: had she been at Pizza Hut and attempted resisting (or, at least, done anything other than bend over and take it), she'd probably be canned and find herself needing to look for other employment. Go Cabelas!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most young men and women think they are bullet proof and able to take on the world and all the bad guys, life lessons like these are a wake up call. I would hope someone in this young woman's family is having a serious talk with her about all this.

Thank God it was limited to "just" a carjacking (if that isn't bad enough).
    She already gets a discount at Cabella's. She works there!
    My son did not tell me her age. In MO you have to be 23 to get a CCW though.
    I'll ask him tonight.

BTW, my son-in-law also works there full time. Even with all my connections, no discounts on firearms or ammo - not even for the employees.
    Dan

I was just at that store (and mall) a couple of weeks ago. My son attends Lindenwood University and wanted some boots for his birthday from Cabelas. We parked in front of Cabelas and got the boots and he said he would also needed a Nike or UA something or the other a few stores down. We went into the mall and a mile or so later we found the store. He had the great idea a quicker way to get back to the car was going out the exit near the sporting goods place and walking around. It was close to closing and once in the lot it felt odd. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'4" and my son and his friend are pretty beefy too but that Glock 30SF never felt better.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Too bad this carjacker couldn't have become a dead offender instead of a potential repeat offender...glad all are OK.

Stay armed...any time, any place ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In MO you have to be 23 to get a CCW though.
    True but MO also honors everyone elses permits. He could get a Maine non-resident permit and MO will honor it. You only have to be 18 for Maine's CCW. He would definitely want to carry a copy of MO's laws with him or other pertinent info in the event he was pulled over by a less than knowledgeable LEO. Here's a link:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

remind your son, to be more situational aware, it also could have been him....

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Already talked to him about the event. I didn't even have to tell him. He told me if he could do it differently, he would. It will be different from now on for him.
    It's one of those life experiences that change a person.
    That's for sure.

On a side note, what kind of moron attacks someone in a Cabelas parking lot, that has to be one of the most heavily armed areas in North America.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    I was just at that store (and mall) a couple of weeks ago. My son attends Lindenwood University and wanted some boots for his birthday from Cabelas. We parked in front of Cabelas and got the boots and he said he would also needed a Nike or UA something or the other a few stores down. We went into the mall and a mile or so later we found the store. He had the great idea a quicker way to get back to the car was going out the exit near the sporting goods place and walking around. It was close to closing and once in the lot it felt odd. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'4" and my son and his friend are pretty beefy too but that Glock 30SF never felt better.
    +1 on that kingdaddyoh!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Thank God the BG didn't abduct the girl!

was thinking the same thing... glad both where ok
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links