Queens hunter gets prison in death of toddler

This is a discussion on Queens hunter gets prison in death of toddler within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last year, I posted an article about a hunter that shot a child because he was not aware of what was behind his target. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queens hunter gets prison in death of toddler

Last year, I posted an article about a hunter that shot a child because he was not aware of what was behind his target. The end result of that story is here:

Queens hunter gets prison in death of Sullivan toddler - The Daily Freeman Blotter: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

MONTICELLO – A hunter from Queens has been sentenced in Sullivan County Court to 2 to 8 years in state prison in the death of a 16-month-old girl who was fatally shot while she played in the kitchen of her grandmother’s mobile home in Swan Lake last November.

Edward Taibi, 46, pleaded guilty to a charge of second-degree manslaughter in return for the prison term.

Authorities said he had fired two rounds from a high-powered rifle as he hunted for deer less than 400 feet from the mobile home, killing Charly Ann Skala.

District Attorney Stephen Lungen said Taibi did not intentionally seek to kill the child. “But, there is also no question that in the manner with which he conducted himself on that hunting spree of his and the manner with which he discharged that weapon in clear and present view of the house, this conduct was without doubt was reckless.”

At his sentencing Tuesday, Taibi apologized to the family and expressed remorse for what he had done.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Did either round actually hit a deer?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Did either round actually hit a deer?
    I seem to remember he got the deer as well. I'm trying to find the old article. Will post it if I can.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OK, found it! Here's the original story, from 1 year ago. (Doesn't say whether or not he bagged the buck)

Deer hunter’s bullet kills toddler
    Published: Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SWAN LAKE — A deer hunter has been charged with manslaughter after a bullet he fired killed a toddler inside her grandparents’ Sullivan County trailer home, state police said.

Edward Taibi, 45, of Queens was being held without bail Monday after arraignment on a felony manslaughter charge in Bethel Town Court.

Taibi was hunting from a tree stand Sunday afternoon in rural Sullivan County on property off Horseshoe Lake Road when he shot a deer. He came down from the stand and fired the .30-caliber rifle again about 400 feet away from the trailer home in Swan Lake, police said.

The bullet hit 16-month-old Charly Skala in the upper body, according to police. After the baby was stabilized at Catskill Regional Medical Center, she was flown to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where she later died. Police said the child’s parents live in nearby Woodbourne. They could not be reached for comment.

Taibi is friends with the owner of the neighboring property and had hunted there before, said State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Lt. Pierce Gallagher. Gallagher said Taibi was extremely remorseful. He added that the tragedy illustrates the need for extreme caution and safety when hunting.

Taibi's case was assigned to the Sullivan Legal Aid Bureau, where attorney Jeff Bradley said Monday it was too soon to comment.

Several neighbors declined comment Monday afternoon.

The rifle season for deer opened Saturday in the region that includes Sullivan County. Under state law, it’s illegal to discharge a firearm or bow within 500 feet of any occupied residence or business unless the hunter owns or leases the property, or has the owner’s consent, according to Maureen Wren of the state Department of Environmental Conservation.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I know some states outlaw High power rifles due to population density,they allow shotgun with buckshot or slugs,but even then you need to be aware of anything in the background that can be hit by an errant projectile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very bad move hunting so close to a home, worse shooting even remotely in the direction of it. The hunter used extremely poor judgment hunting so close and now several lives have been affected in that decision.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I know some states outlaw High power rifles due to population density,they allow shotgun with buckshot or slugs,but even then you need to be aware of anything in the background that can be hit by an errant projectile
    In my county they started letting hunters use rifles after having been shotgun only for as long as I can remember. As a hunter I was happy but as a resident in hunting country I have my concerns.

I as well as those I hunt with are cautious and follow the law but many of the not so savory hunters will do about anything to bag a deer.

You are correct, identify your target and know what's behind it. No game is worth a dangerous shot.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

During investigation......

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    In my county they started letting hunters use rifles after having been shotgun only for as long as I can remember. As a hunter I was happy but as a resident in hunting country I have my concerns.

I as well as those I hunt with are cautious and follow the law but many of the not so savory hunters will do about anything to bag a deer.

You are correct, identify your target and know what's behind it. No game is worth a dangerous shot.
    They (Police) checked out his story and looked through his scope where he said he shot from after getting out of the tree....story said that trailer was right there in the middle of his scope...big as a house...being complacent and over confident.....that's what killed that little child.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Enough to make me think about bow hunting.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    They (Police) checked out his story and looked through his scope where he said he shot from after getting out of the tree....story said that trailer was right there in the middle of his scope...big as a house...being complacent and over confident.....that's what killed that little child.
    That definitely shows a blatant disregard for safety. It's hard to believe that anyone can be that careless as to risk killing someone just for a shot at a deer.

Not far from here a person was shot out of a tree by a hunter because he thought it was a deer. If you don't know that deer don't climb trees you shouldn't be hunting them...

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Enough to make me think about bow hunting.
    No short answer for that either. Just as dangerous if you're foolish or not careful. The deer I popped last year via bow, the arrow went clean through and keep on going. Took me a good half hour to find the arrow. I wasn't worried about it though because I set up to be sure I had a SAFE shot. It all comes down the gray matter between the ears.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

tunnel vision on the deer and not thinking about where the bullet may go ?

and

over penetration ?

less than 400 feet from the mobile home, killing Charly Ann Skala.
    He'll be out in a year and the innocent little girl will be dead forever.
    I hope you don't feel sorry for him. If I were on the jury, I would have wanted a much stiffer penalty. 400'? I'll bet he could SEE the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    He'll be out in a year and the innocent little girl will be dead forever.
    I hope you don't feel sorry for him. If I were on the jury, I would have wanted a much stiffer penalty. 400'? I'll bet he could SEE the trailer.
    He could, read the post by hudsonvalley. The police stood where he said he shot from and could see the trailer in the middle of the scope. I think he deserved more than what he got but it's not my call.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Not far from here a person was shot out of a tree by a hunter because he thought it was a deer. If you don't know that deer don't climb trees you shouldn't be hunting them...
    He wasnt from the city was he? I think I brought it up in the thread that JonInNY posted last year, that there have been a number of hunters from the city that have created problems, especially for farmers. I'm not saying that everyone that comes up from the city to hunt is irresponsible, but some seem to think that deer hunting includes horses, cows, sheep, goats, etc. And they don't care how far away from homes they are, or whose property they're on. The stories I have heard are unbelievable.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links