My best friend had to shoot.

This is a discussion on My best friend had to shoot. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last week, my best friend, who is 22, had to use the Sig P-226 I sold his dad two years ago. A lot of details ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My best friend had to shoot.

Last week, my best friend, who is 22, had to use the Sig P-226 I sold his dad two years ago. A lot of details aren't fully known yet but here is the short version. His girlfriend's dad didn't want him to keep seeing her and arranged to meet him to discuss it. When he got there, the girl's dad started hitting him with a four foot long piece of steel or lead pipe. He took several blows to the head and numerous ones to the rest of his body. Last summer, my friend had to have brain surgery due to a tumor and his girlfriend's dad knew this, so the blows to the head were definitely a life threatening situation. My friend fired several shots (I've heard seven), ended the threat and the man's life, then called 911. My friend, who had just killed a man and called 911, is a Paramedic I work with and has devoted his life to helping people. And his girlfriend was there with him at the time all of this went down. My friend is out of the hospital but, understandably, has a lot to deal with. He will recover from his physical wounds but please keep him in your prayers. Investigation is still on-going and not sure if any charges will be placed. God, I hope not! Fortunately, there were several witnesses to this incident who seem to back up his story. Sorry this is so long and if it's in the wrong place, moderator, please move. I'll keep you posted and again, please pray for both these families. Thanks.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

My prayers go out to your friend and his girl friend. This is the reason I always carry. I think if I don't and something ever happened a prosecutor might try to say the only reason I was armed then was I had ill intent. If I am always armed then they would not be able to say I only armed myself for the meeting.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ouch... nasty situation all the way around...

If the story is they way you stated it, it met the criteria for a defensive shoot; access, intent, and means by the assailant were all there. Hope all ends well.
    Dan

Wow wonder what set the GF's dad off?

Where did this take place? I'm sure there's a news story... Link?

VIP Member
    Wow, nasty situation. Steel or lead pipe to the head is deadly force whether or not your friend previously had surgery.

I suppose the outcome will depend on whether or not your friend should have known that there would be a violent confrontation--- in which case he should have stayed away.

The outcome will also turn on what the girlfriend actually tell the police happened--and with her dad dead, she may suddenly have a different story with different details, and it will all be your friend's fault for killing her dad.

Wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Wow wonder what set the GF's dad off?

Where did this take place? I'm sure there's a news story... Link?
    Took place at a public park/boat landing here in Elizabethtown. Don't know how to link to a site yet but google Bladen online.com or WWAY.com. Be advised that both stories have some minor differences, as I said, all the facts haven't been released yet. You know how the media is.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It's good to hear that there were "several witnesses" just in case the GF's story changes.
    Family bonds can sometimes be the strongest, hope all goes well for your friend.
    Last edited by Rugergirl; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: sticky keyboard
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If true, it's a perfect example of why one should carry always, everywhere. You can't make this stuff up, how lunatic everyone is becoming. It's just not possible to know what some folks are willing to do, or when they'll blow sideways.

Anytime, anywhere. Be prepared. It's the only sane approach to an increasingly insane society.

My condolences and thoughts go out to your friend. That's a bad situation that nobody should have to deal with. The dead man attempted murder and thus earned everything he got, it seems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Found this LINK

Sounds like self-defense, and hope it is seen that way. Of course, we don't know everything... but it is good that there are witnesses that verify his story.
    A steel pipe to the head, is definitely life-threatening.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Wow. Holy crap. Best of luck to all the survivors.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    Took place at a public park/boat landing here in Elizabethtown. Don't know how to link to a site yet but google Bladen online.com or WWAY.com. Be advised that both stories have some minor differences, as I said, all the facts haven't been released yet. You know how the media is.
    Wow, I vacation every year at White Lake (just a few miles away). I know exactly where this happened. I was thinking Tory Hole Park before I read the story.

Best wishes to your friend.

I'm betting there will be a certain chill over the table at Thanksgiving this year!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hope everything works out well for your buddy. Right now it looks very promising.
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

I suppose the outcome will depend on whether or not your friend should have known that there would be a violent confrontation--- in which case he should have stayed away.
    Seems to my layman sense, if he was given a request to meet and discuss the situation, that's what he would expect would happen, not to be suddenly assaulted with a pipe. He may have been naive, but that doesn't take away his right to save his life. Course, we're all going on partial info, so maybe my comment is premature.

I think the "cleanest" type of self-defense case, is when the assailant is not known to the intended victim period. Random attack. So this will be more complicated to investigate I would think. Good luck to him...
    Last edited by hamlet; November 3rd, 2009 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links