Women Survives Pitbull Attack

This is a discussion on Women Survives Pitbull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Recovering After Pitbull Attack Updated: Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 6:15 PM CDT Published : Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 6:15 PM CDT Lauren Johnson MEMPHIS, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women Survives Pitbull Attack

Woman Recovering After Pitbull Attack
    Updated: Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 6:15 PM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 6:15 PM CDT

Lauren
    Johnson
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A woman is recovering at The Med tonight after being attacked by three pit bulls. It happened early this morning while she tried to walk her son's dog before work. Tonight, those dogs are quarantined and being tested for rabies.

Neighbors say Helen Marshall took an early morning walk every day before work. The 62 year old and her husband taking care of their son's date, as of late. Thursday morning, when she and Skye reached the end of the street, a surprise attack that left them both in doctor's care tonight.

Neighbors say Helen Marshall took an early morning walk every day before work. The 62 year old and her husband have been keeping Skye, their son's Husky. Thursday, when she took the dog for a walk, before work, she saw more than she ever expected.

What happened in Tracey Lambert's backyard earlier this year is unforgettable.

Tracey Lambert says "they tore our fence up to get into the backyard to get to both of my dogs."

Twice, the dogs charged her daughter's dogs, while the owner begged for Tracey not to shoot.

"The only reason I didn't shoot is 'cause I was afraid I'd shoot my Great Dane," says Lambert.

Her dogs survived the attack, but she is still paying a hefty vet bill and looking at a hole in her fence.

Lambert says "It's horrible, it's a nightmare. I've reported it twice with the police department, Shelby County."

Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office, says "there was a call in March, there was also one in April about pit bulls being loose."

And another call Thursday morning about the same pit bulls.

Mary Pollan, who lives down the street, says "she was down on the ground; her and her dog were down."

Pollan watched the three dogs attack 62 year old Helen Marshall from her bedroom window.

"Those dogs are not family dogs, they are viscous dogs," describes Pollan.

Police says just as Marshall walked past this home, on an early morning walk before going to work, the three pit bulls charged at her son's Husky.

"She went over and attempted to get the pit bulls off of the dog, when that happened, those dogs turned on her and she had several dog bites all over her hands, all over her arms, forearms," says Shular.

The dogs were taken away to the Memphis Animal Shelter.

Pollan says "they remind me of fighting dogs because that's all they want to do is come after, they're always going after someone."

Lambert says "I'm angry and the reason I'm angry is because I knew this was going to happen."

They hope the nightmare has ended here, so they can get life back to normal in their neighborhood.

The sheriff's office has two investigators assigned to this case. They will turn over all of their findings to the District Attorney's Office, and charges could follow.

woman recovering after pitbull attack | MyFox Memphis | Fox 13 News

This is why carrying is important especially when these dogs are known to frequent the area. I had to shoot one pitbull five years ago in my wife UNcle ranch when one of them tried to kill the goats and it proceeded to charge me.

From what I heard on the radio yesterday, the owner of these dogs is in jail with a $500,000 bail. He is being charged with aggravated assault among other charges. I think is is a good thing that the owner is being charged. MAYBE this will help lower the number of these incidences. This is just another reason to be sure you ALWAYS carry and be allert at all times.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

Just so we keep the record truthful...

Pit Bulls are NOT generally mean or aggressive - they must be trained to be that way. They DO have a propensity to be challenging toward other dogs as a result of being bred to fight over countless generations. They are not normally aggressive to humans unless someone invades their territory or they have been teased or abused to the breaking point. If they are raised lovingly, they make wonderful, loving, loyal companions.

I DO agree with charging the owner of these dogs. Any dog allowed to run loose is a danger and may actually become feral.

If approached by a strange dog:
    1. Do not make eye contact. Canines consider this a challenge.
    2. Slowly walk away at right angles to its path.
    3. Raise your arms and shout. Make yourself look large and ferocious.
    4. DO NOT run away. You can't out-run or out-distance a dog anyway. The "chase" instinct is strong in canines and most will "hunt you down".
    5. If the dog continues to approach, and you have a weapon, prepare to use it. Caution - a dogfight, like a gunfight, is often "to the end" and a dog may have to be beaten senseless, maimed or crippled, or killed before it's stopped.
    6. If you do not have a weapon, crouch low and cover your head/neck/face with your arms.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I love dogs and generally will default to blame the owners rather than the breed for bad behavior, but pitbulls have s serious predisposition to being the spawn of satan. Add to that a dirtbag owner and this kind of outcome is inevitable.

Later on I'll tell you how I really feel about them.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    but pitbulls have s serious predisposition to being the spawn of satan.
    Simply not true. APBTs are no more innately dangerous than German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, or any other of the large working breeds.

The only good Pit Bull is s dead one.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I will not get in on the debate of how sweet or vicious a pitbull is. The fact that a pitbull is extremly strong and can inflict a lot of damage cannot be disputed. The dog and owner should be held accountable. I am a dog lover and have five dogs. If one of them shows any sign of being a danger to the community it will be promptly put down.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

here we go again...
    Some here always seem to apply the same logic as the brady's when they "spin" the numbers to fit their agenda.

Pass the
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It always surprises me when I see on a gun forum the people that get their education about Pitbulls from the same media that wants us all to believe guns and gun owners are bad.

It's hypocritical to say the fear induced stories the media puts out about guns is wrong yet every fear induced story on Pitbulls (if it really was a pitbull) is right on.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

A dog attack by 3 big dogs as in this cast is a pack attack and could have easily killed the dog being walked and the lady trying to save her dogs live. IMO some things that might have helped would have been for the lady to have had a walking stick or staff with her, use it in a jabbing motion like a spear and hit hard trying to brake ribs or put out eyes etc., also used as a guard stick in front of her to block attack. Second would be a CCW weapon if she had time to deploy and ability not to hit her own dog. Third if she is up to the fight a lock blade folder can do power work up close and personal with any adversary.
    The reason I picked the stick first is, dogs tend to respect a stick (clubs), in a humans hand, a pistol or knife does not look that much bigger in the hand of the human.
    Speed is the issue here, attacks of this nature tend to happen quickly and response is harder when dealing with more than one attacker. Reaction time is right now and if you don't have some type of plan already worked out in your mind you could be down and dead before help arrives

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    The only good Pit Bull is s dead one.
    Including "Stubby" the most decorated war dog in history? Pete the Pup on the little Rascals? And the countless Pit Bulls that were at one time a symbol of American strength? Reading any book about the history of Pit Bulls would enlighten the misinformed about the breed being favorable for almost 100 years. The unsavory owners of an aggressive dog are the problem, not the dog.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Including "Stubby" the most decorated war dog in history? Pete the Pup on the little Rascals? And the countless Pit Bulls that were at one time a symbol of American strength? Reading any book about the history of Pit Bulls would enlighten the misinformed about the breed being favorable for almost 100 years. The unsavory owners of an aggressive dog are the problem, not the dog.
    I am not anti-pitbull. But I would like to point out that by breeding for certain traids that a modern pitbull does no resembly the pitbull of days gone by. A couple of decades ago most pitbulls only weighted about 35lbs. Down here there are two primary types of pitbulls. Those bred by idiots who are more worried about the size of their head and working hog dogs. Both pitbulls, but completely different animals.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

wow, terrible. I never read the comments on these as they just tick me off; I am big into the bully breeds. Sorry if I have a repeat or missed additional info

If there is an owner found I hope he is held responsible. Unfortunate all around, 3 dogs that need to be destroyed (looks like legitimately this time), a lady and her dog were injured (although the lady's injuries are self inflicted. You have to be real stupid to reach into a dog fight.), and I suspect the owner, if found, is a deadbeat and any bills will be on the victims shoulders. Hope she and her dog recover fully. Dog attacks suck.

Jail the owner, shoot the dogs...dogs who attack have lost their right to survive, and I love dogs.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I am not anti-pitbull. But I would like to point out that by breeding for certain traids that a modern pitbull does no resembly the pitbull of days gone by. A couple of decades ago most pitbulls only weighted about 35lbs. Down here there are two primary types of pitbulls. Those bred by idiots who are more worried about the size of their head and working hog dogs. Both pitbulls, but completely different animals.
    Very good points. All those points were touched upon in "The American Pit Bull Handbook" Written by Joe Stahlkuppe. But any dog breed can be bred for size and stature instead of temperament. Sad all the way around.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links