Interesting Article on Coyote Attacks on Humans

This is a discussion on Interesting Article on Coyote Attacks on Humans within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why biologists are baffled when coyotes kill people You may have heard by now of the tragic death of Canadian singer-songwriter Taylor Mitchell last week, ...

Thread: Interesting Article on Coyote Attacks on Humans

Interesting Article on Coyote Attacks on Humans

Why biologists are baffled when coyotes kill people
    You may have heard by now of the tragic death of Canadian singer-songwriter Taylor Mitchell last week, killed by coyotes while solo hiking in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia. As is typical after these types of incidents, wildlife biologists and public land managers are scrambling to find any reason why the animals attacked other than the obvious one -- that they were hungry and looking for food. In this typical article, the Chronicle Herald authors quote Jon Way, said to have studied coyotes for 12 years, and who runs Eastern Coyote Research in Massachusetts:

"I don't think they regard people, even kids, as an opportunity for a food source, so this is certainly an abnormal attack," Mr. Way said. "They certainly are not like (big) cats that regard people as food, they just don't do that."
    I am always baffled at biologists who are baffled when larger predators attack and even kill people. Mr. Way ought to know that at least one child has been killed by a coyote, and there have been numerous non-fatal attacks by coyotes on children as well as adults (including an attack on two boys right here in Bellevue in 2006).

Photo by Steve Byland
    One of the reasons I started BEARS and Other Top Predators magazine 11 years ago was that I didn't trust the information about animal attacks that I was getting from people who should know better -- from public land managers and publicly funded wildlife biologists. For example, when we first started the magazine, many park rangers and even wildlife PhDs told us that there has never been a documented fatal killing of a human by a wolf. It was repeated like a mantra. This didn't ring true, especially since it is common knowledge that dogs sometimes kill humans. As it turned out, there are numerous documented cases of wolves preying on humans, including some in North America in the last two decades.

Why would someone who has responsibility for public safety ignore evidence that may help people be safer? No question there is a a preservationist motive involved. They don't want people to destroy either individual animals or the species. But I share the preservationist ethic and I still want to know what the real risk is when I go into the backcountry.

I think there is more at work here. I think there is a tendency with some people, more prevalent on the left side of the political spectrum, to be wishful about the world, to minimize or ignore evidence that it is hasher out there than we would like, whether it be about dangerous animals (as in this case), dangerous humans (e.g., ignoring the efficacy of concealed carry laws) or dangerous regimes (e.g., holding fruitless talks while Iran builds nuclear weapon capability).

More by Carter Mackley on this and other animal attacks at FindingWilderness.com.

Posted by Carter Mackley at November 02, 2009 12:29 PM | Email This

It is interesting to note from this author about the concealed carry portion.

Sound Politics: Why biologists are baffled when coyotes kill people

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Coyotes are becoming a big problem. Even here in Virginia their population has grown & their range has spread. I have even killed a couple.

They are also cross breeding with wolves (google coy-wolves) & possibly dogs.

Another thing to remember is that they aren't only solitary.....they can also be pack animals & as such they become even more dangerous.

The last part I'll add is that if you ACT LIKE PREY, YOU"LL BE PREY! This young woman who died, most likely looked like & acted like prey.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I think there is more at work here. I think there is a tendency with some people, more prevalent on the left side of the political spectrum, to be wishful about the world, to minimize or ignore evidence that it is hasher out there than we would like, whether it be about dangerous animals (as in this case), dangerous humans (e.g., ignoring the efficacy of concealed carry laws) or dangerous regimes (e.g., holding fruitless talks while Iran builds nuclear weapon capability).
    Wishful thinking at it's most dangerous extreme! That is a well-phrased paragraph.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Have you ever noticed when a human is eated by an animal some factions always blame the the human. That same group never blames the cow when it is eaten by a human. Animals eat humans because they can, and they claim we taste like chicken.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Coyotes are becoming a big problem. Even here in Virginia their population has grown & their range has spread. I have even killed a couple.

They are also cross breeding with wolves (google coy-wolves) & possibly dogs.

Another thing to remember is that they aren't only solitary.....they can also be pack animals & as such they become even more dangerous.

The last part I'll add is that if you ACT LIKE PREY, YOU"LL BE PREY! This young woman who died, most likely looked like & acted like prey.
    You make some great points here. They are known as solitary animals, but can indeed roam as a pack.

Easy to say and probably hard to do, but don't act scared and start fleeing when faced with a coyote.

There is no reason to assume that this will not escalate given the coyote population. They are a very successful animal in terms of adaptation, and one of the adaptions is in the direction of diverse food sources during hard times. I'm not a biologist, but it just seems logical. I would love to be proved wrong.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    mmmm chicken.

The Conservation Commission in Missouri has coyotes pegged. Open season(except during a couple of other hunts) all year, no bag limit, and no possession limit. I see them trot right by my house, but rarely see them in the woods. They must know they are safe in town.

No offense but I hate coyotes, parents were farmers heard stories about what they did to their livestock. My goal is to own my own small farm with livestock in the future, and will have some Anatolian Shepherds waiting for them. I'll be backing them up with a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    mmmm chicken.

The Conservation Commission in Missouri has coyotes pegged. Open season(except during a couple of other hunts) all year, no bag limit, and no possession limit. I see them trot right by my house, but rarely see them in the woods. They must know they are safe in town.
    They are not stupid animals, but getting more dangerous even here in FL. I'm always armed, so I'm not worried.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    No offense but I hate coyotes, parents were farmers heard stories about what they did to their livestock. My goal is to own my own small farm with livestock in the future, and will have some Anatolian Shepherds waiting for them. I'll be backing them up with a rifle.
    People in South Texas also hate coyotes with a passion. I sometimes patrolled my wife Uncle ranch in Floresville, TX and often chase coyotes with my ATV. I tried to shoot them with my Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun but they are fast and elusive.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Even with all these stories, I know people who are terribly offended that I hunt coyote, and even more offended that I let them lay after I shoot them. I just grab the ears and tails to get that $25 per head county bounty.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Even with all these stories, I know people who are terribly offended that I hunt coyote, and even more offended that I let them lay after I shoot them. I just grab the ears and tails to get that $25 per head county bounty.

Bounty, What County is doing this? I could make lots of money at my Wife Uncle place.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    No bounty here.........

buzzards have to eat too......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I tell people here to scare off coyotes from their kids with a slingshot and they think I am being cruel, sigh.......

I kill a lot of called in coyotes. Sometimes I use a attractor that looks looks like a small animal. It has batteries that swish a tail around. Coyotes sometimes become totally fixated on that thing and come within a couple yards of me.

A friend has two trained Russian wolf hounds. These two dogs are dedicated coyote killers and it is a pleasure to watch them work.

Links