Beware of Craigslist transactions!

This is a discussion on Beware of Craigslist transactions! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The following happened this morning here in San Antonio. One reason I stopped doing any business on Craigs..... Man shot during Craigslist transaction...

Thread: Beware of Craigslist transactions!

The following happened this morning here in San Antonio. One reason I stopped doing any business on Craigs.....

Man shot during Craigslist transaction
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Red flag would have been raised when he noticed three people in a vehicle.

I bought a Laptop a few years ago from Craigslist
    We agreed to meet inside a well known fast food restaurant during daylight
    So, I wasn't too worried

As I was driving there, my sister who was worried called and asked me
    if I thought I was in any danger

My answer was "Don't worry I have my friend Wesson with me"
    Up to that point she wasn't even sure I carried, but I think that set her mind more at ease

Happens all the time. This time the predator grossly misread his prey. He just made things better for the rest of us. Everyone in the country should sent him $1.00.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Common sense should dominate craigslist deals. I never meet anyone without talking to them on the phone first. You can tell A LOT about someone in a 2 minute phone call...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    We have done about a dozen purchases through Craigslist. Yes, caution is needed because you are dealing with a total stranger and sometimes you are going to their home. The seller too is at risk because s/he too is dealing with a stranger.

I've had young college age women selling off "junk" at the end of the school year throw their door open to me, and they were just lucky it was me and not a predator.

Similarly, people have come to my home and they are (were) lucky that we are good folks, cause unknown to them I was armed. Were I a BG, they could easily have been "kidnapped" etc.

All of that said, we need to keep some faith in our fellow humans. Overwhelmingly, we are dealing with OK folks and the deals work out well.

I agree with nutz4utwo that you can tell a lot about people by talking to them on the phone---the sociopath of course is an exception. You won't know till it is too late.

I've sold items on Craig's List before, too. I was successful, had the buyers meet at my home in the middle of the day. I had already talked to them on the phone and verified the 'business' that they said they were in...I was armed, cautious, and successful.

In fact, one time my wife suggested that we well a couple of kayaks that we had sitting around in our shed. I posted it on Craig's List and got a call within 20 minutes...I thought it was a prank call by my wife.
    The people showed up with cash...sold my kayaks from posting to cash in the hand in less than 45 minutes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The title could just as well say "beware of any interaction with unknown people." I have both bought and sold on CL and had great deals both ways. Always cautious.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

yeah...I just don't like people coming into my home in general. When I buy from Craigslist I am constantly amazed at the willingness to provide a total stranger with a picture of something of value, the address at which it resides, and often the times that they are going to be home (which also gives me a timeframe in which they are not going to be home). Then you can often get a free invite inside the house to look at the object, which is a great time to figure out the best way to rob it later.

Got to have some trust though, else it is already to late for us as a society. I have sold stuff from my garage before and never had any weirdness or strange encounters.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have sold several items on Craigslist. I usually meet the people at a gas station around the corner, and let them follow me here. The items I am selling are never inside my home, so they do not get a look inside. Instead, some items I will set out on the lawn just before meeting them, most are in my garage, which happens to be decorated with paper targets from my trips to the shooting range. I had one guy make the comment after seeing the targets that he sure would like to learn to shoot as good, and his wife said she bets anyone that is thinking of breaking in the house would change their mind if they looked in the garage first.

I have a set standard before I deal with anyone. Their phone number cannot be blocked, I must speak to them on the phone, not just through email (as said, you can tell alot about people by a phone call), and I dont invite them directly to my home, as stated above. A few times I even OC'ed so they knew I was armed.

Never had any issues yet.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Sponsored Links