People in my area have gone nuts.

This is a discussion on People in my area have gone nuts. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I moved to this county back in the 1980's we had no murders. Then people found out that it was nice living here and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People in my area have gone nuts.

People in my area have gone nuts.

When I moved to this county back in the 1980's we had no murders. Then people found out that it was nice living here and started to move in. The murder rate climbed up to 5 or 6 murders a year. Not huge by big city standards but too many for us. Anyway in the last couple of weeks there have been 5 murders within 5 miles of my house.

It started with 7 gang bangers from the city north of us coming down and stabbed 2 young men exiting a local club. Then a couple days later there was the kidnapping and murder of 7 year old Somer Thompson that was all over the national news. Now I just found out the some jackass killed his 16 year old son and 11 year old daughter. It was suggested he did it to pay back his wife over his upcoming divorce then he killed hisself. These murders were just a couple miles from my house.

This world has gone mad.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

2. Remove Ads

The community has to come together and let the bad element know they have to go some where else to ply their trade. As far as the guy that killed his two children I don't know how people that think like that can be dealt with to prevent such things short of a lobotomy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

People in my area are nuts as well. Thankfully they aren't the murderous kind.

Administrator
    Get ready for it.
    Ever increasing crime and murder. Coming to a "nice" neighborhood near you.
    And it's going to get lots worse before it ever gets better.
    Expect an extra escalation in direct proportion to a tanking economy.

The only way it' going to get better is if more victims shoot more dirtbags and thin out the herd...make crime a dangerous profession.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's coming to a neighborhood near you...everywhere friend. In our cases around Northern VA we have it being imported for us by the local governments. Nice huh...Google the Dulles Metro rail project. They're basically extending the metro a good ways into the VA Suburbs.

I figure it's a nice jump on jump off/return point for the Rodents in the District of Crime. They get to hop on the metro for a paltry sum...ride it out to the more wealthier area of the VA burbs. Then rob, rape, pillage and return to the roach motel via the metro.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    When I moved to this county back in the 1980's we had no murders. Then people found out that it was nice living here and started to move in. The murder rate climbed up to 5 or 6 murders a year. Not huge by big city standards but too many for us. Anyway in the last couple of weeks there have been 5 murders within 5 miles of my house.

It started with 7 gang bangers from the city north of us coming down and stabbed 2 young men exiting a local club. Then a couple days later there was the kidnapping and murder of 7 year old Somer Thompson that was all over the national news. Now I just found out the some jackass killed his 16 year old son and 11 year old daughter. It was suggested he did it to pay back his wife over his upcoming divorce then he killed hisself. These murders were just a couple miles from my house.

This world has gone mad.
    City Near Bottom Of Safest Cities List - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

City Near Bottom Of Safest Cities List
    Sheriff Says Neighborhood Walks, Other Factors Have Reduced Crime

POSTED: Monday, November 2, 2009
    UPDATED: 10:32 pm EST November 2, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Don Butler said keeping the city's streets safe is a collaborative effort between the people and the police.

"They need us and we need them," Butler said.

Butler is part of the Arlington East Neighborhood Association, and Monday night, the group hit the streets with Sheriff John Rutherford and officers to spread the word that crime in their neighborhood won't be tolerated.

Butler said the effort is working.

"It's safer now than it was a year ago, or two years ago," Butler said. "Much safer in the last nine months."

But Forbes Magazine puts Jacksonville at the bottom of their list of America's safest cities.

Video: Sheriff Says Crime Rate Is Lower

The magazine used a number of statistics to rank the cities, including workplace deaths, traffic deaths, risk of natural disasters, and violent crime rates from the 40 largest metropolitan areas. The River City ranked 39th behind major cities like New York, Cleveland and even Detroit.

Ironically, in June, the sheriff compared Jacksonville to Detroit while talking to the City Council.

"We are on the road to becoming the next Detroit," Rutherford said at the time. "I don't want to go down that road."

According to Forbes, maybe Jacksonville does.

Detroit ranked 12th on the list, 27 cities safer than Jacksonville. The sheriff said he doesn't buy it.

"But I hardly think Detroit is safer that Jacksonville, you know," Rutherford said. "You got to look at the numbers."

Rutherford said crime in Jacksonville is down by 11 percent. He said violent crime is down 15 percent in almost the last 20 years.

The sheriff said violent crime is down drastically, and that includes things like murder, rape and armed robbery.

He believes a lot of that has to do with events like Monday night's neighborhood walk. He said people in Jacksonville care about the city and won't tolerate high crime.

"I've said three things that we absolutely have to have," Rutherford said. "More boots on the street, massive community support and aggressive prosecution with (state attorney) Angela Corey."

For a complete list of the safest cities rankings, go to Forbes Magazine's Web site.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

At times I think FL has cornered the market on crazy people. Hopefully your quiet town will return to that!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    always thinking about this subject. Trying to keep my parents and loved ones armed with at least 1 person home all the time. Luckily there is a program you can request in my township that routes a LEO to your house and to check up on your house every couple days if you are on vacation. You have to sign a consent form for them to walk on your property but other then that its painless. Too bad larger counties don't have the man power for such a program
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Jacksonville and the surronding area is getting worse......and it's spreading. Up here on Georgia's SE coast we're seeing an increase in crime commited by people from the J'ville area coming in and plying thier trade here. We've already got enough to deal with from our own population of stupid people.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    It always amazes me that people are shocked at the actions of fellow citizens when we have allowed several generations of undesirables to fester unchecked, feeding, clothing them and providing more than adequate shelter. We have been rewarding poor choices and bad behavior for years with no end in sight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Expect an extra escalation in direct proportion to a tanking economy.
    During the Great Depression, the crime rate remained relatively low.
    So I'm not willing to equate crime to a failing economy.
    What has changed in this country?
    A total lack of morals. "If it feels good do it."
    The country doesn't believe in the rule of law, and being held responsible.
    Citizens, and illegals believe they are "entitled" to everything free.
    If the government doesn't act fast enough, they just steal and kill for it.

Until that changes, it will just get worse.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It always amazes me that people are shocked at the actions of fellow citizens when we have allowed several generations of undesirables to fester unchecked, feeding, clothing them and providing more than adequate shelter. We have been rewarding poor choices and bad behavior for years with no end in sight.
    I couldn't agree more. The consequences for criminals now is often a minor inconvenience at best.

Retsup is also correct. We need to make crime a dangerous occupation.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

So profound...........commom sense........hurts

Very well said.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

+10!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links