Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon (NY)

This is a discussion on Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon (NY) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As posted by WCBS: Posted: Wednesday, 04 November 2009 10:57AM Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon NEW ROCHELLE, NY (AP) -- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon (NY)

Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon (NY)

As posted by WCBS:

Posted: Wednesday, 04 November 2009 10:57AM

Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon

NEW ROCHELLE, NY (AP) -- An off-duty suburban New York City police officer has been charged in the shooting death of an acquaintance.

New Rochelle police Capt. Joseph Schaller said Wednesday that James Pileggi was being held on a charge of second-degree manslaughter.

Police say Pileggi, who's a member of the Eastchester force, was sitting in his SUV demonstrating the laser feature on his 9mm Glock service weapon when it discharged on Tuesday night.

Andre Everett, who was standing outside the vehicle, was shot in the neck and died at a hospital.

Pileggi was awaiting arraignment Wednesday. Attorney information for him wasn't immediately on record.

A message left with Eastchester police wasn't immediately returned.

Source w/ audio report - WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots and Kills Friend While Demonstrating Weapon

- Janq

Note:
    Rule #1 = Finger off the trigger until ready to fire/discharge.
    Rule #2 = Do not point/aim any firearm at anything or anyone that you do not intend to poke holes into and DESTROY.
    Rule #3 = Firearms are not toys. They are devices intended for destructive purpose, and are not to be toyed with nor handled by inexperienced/untrained persons.

Operator = James Pileggi = Idiot!

Sad.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

This is indeed a tragedy.

Rule 1: Treat EVERY Firearm as if it were loaded
    Rule 2: Safety Check Firearm when handling
    Rule 3: See Rule #1 and Rule #2

I love how someone thinks because they are LEO they are gun experts. I even hear it at gun shops..... "Well they are LEO so blah blah blah,etc,etc,."

There is no excuse for ignoring gun safety. I hope he does get charges. "There is no such thing as an "accident" someones carelessness always causes that "accident" Except in the cases of ligtning ,tornadoes and such.lol

It is very sad story for both parties and families involved. But....there has to be accountability for your actions.

Gun Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    This is indeed a tragedy.

Rule 1: Treat EVERY Firearm as if it were loaded
    Rule 2: Safety Check Firearm when handling
    Rule 3: See Rule #1 and Rule #2
    Rules to live by as gun owners!!!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    I love how someone thinks because they are LEO they are gun experts. I even hear it at gun shops..... "Well they are LEO so blah blah blah,etc,etc,."
    I know.
    Damn near everybody does this...And it makes no sense.

Cops are no more gun oriented never mind gun knowledgeable beyond basic mechanics than they are same as related to automobiles.
    You don't see people conferring and deferring to LEOs for input on automobiles and automotive operation/driving/repair/racing even as they spend much of their time driving/riding and looking at cars.

Makes no sense at all.
    NASCAR drivers should get tips on how to drive as from average Joe Anybody cab driver types.
    Same as John Average policeman is incorrectly thought/assumed to be akin to Ernie Langdon, Rob Pincus, or Todd Jarrett.
    Like how school lunch ladies are directly akin to Julia Childs as they both spend a lot of time in kitchens using utensils, right?

Silly.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow, very sad. The worse part is we keep seeing stories like this. Live by the rules of firearms, no exceptions!!! That's what I was taught and passed on to my kids.

1) All guns are always loaded! (Until you personally check to ensure otherwise)

2) Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy!

3) Never put you finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard until your gun is on a confirmed target and you are prepared to shoot!

4) Always be certain of your target and what is beyond it before you shoot!
    U.S. Navy Veteran-NRA Member
    Taurus PT 845, PT 99 AF
    Ruger SR9
    1938 Mauser K98 8mm, 1917 DWM German Luger
    1952 M1 Garand
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sad. LEO should know better. I bet his buddy is real clear on the operation of that laser, though!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Very sad.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Sad state of affairs, well at least he is being put up on charges like the rest of would be.
    I have said it before, I think a lot of poor police gun handling is because they spend way too much time pointing them at people while on the job and they become way too complacent.

Very sad. But the media irritates me "demonstrating the laser feature on his 9mm Glock service weapon when it discharged" it should read when he pulled the trigger the firearm is not a fault they always forget to inform the public the the trigger was pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Very sad. But the media irritates me "demonstrating the laser feature on his 9mm Glock service weapon when it discharged" it should read when he pulled the trigger the firearm is not a fault they always forget to inform the public the the trigger was pulled.

My thoughts exactly! The way it reads, someone who doesn't know any better i.e. a lot of people, will think that the gun malfunctioned or was otherwise to blame, when in fact it was the man.
    Highly irritating! -1 to the media, again, as usual ...

VIP Member
    Very sad. Tragic, and avoidable.

However, none of us should feel so smug as to think we are incapable of doing something equally stupid. It only takes one moment's inattention and a split second of negligence.

I'm not a big fan of negligence charges in situations like this, and the fact that the guy who did the act was a cop doesn't change that view. I don't see where anything much gets gained by ruining yet an additional life with a jail term.

If these two were truly friends, the now ex-officer is doing plenty of suffering as it is.

I concede that point HOPYARD but it still doesn’t change the fact that many cops get off for this type of behavior and civilians don’t .
    That being my point.
    It’s a loss all around

Sad situation for all involved, including families.
    At least they didn't say that the 'gun' accidentally shot the victim.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A senseless tragedy.

Everyone wants to show off their new accessories for the guns. It's a natural thing to want to do.

However, I long ago identified that very act as being a huge potential point for a mishap to happen. Therefore, I am usually hesitant to show people my new gun accessories if they are attached to the weapon or we are not at a range setting where we are in the process of firing the weapons.

Regardless, whenever I show off a new gadget or gizmo, it's never just a caviler attitude, like "Hey, want to see the new toy I got?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links